Southwestern Advantage Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 20, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Southwestern Advantage Chairman & CEO Henry Bedford
Henry Bedford

Pros
  • You learn a lot about people skills, communication and sales (in 16 reviews)

• I enjoyed working about 13 hours a day and made a lot of money in 3 months (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • pyramid scheme feel, long hours (in 36 reviews)

• Pitched to be a great paying job, but instead its just a door to door sales job where you MIGHT make UP TO (in 16 reviews)

1. "Great you only care about your goals and money"

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great support and guidance from your team and managers
    You learn a lot about people skills, communication and sales
    It makes you a very strong person
    You becoma a real problem solver

Cons

The vibe feels mostly fake
    No guarantees
    Your managers and teammates are not really the person they show you they are
    The products are overpriced
    You have to be selfish to make real money

Advice to Management

Maybe be more realistic on what the whole thing is really about.
    Teach the staff more about the boundaries on soliticing and when it can become more of a harassment.

2. "Great life experience, manipulative culture"

Former Intern - Recruiter in Lincoln, NE
    Former Intern - Recruiter in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get way out of your comfort zone
    Learned how to sell products and how people operate
    Developed recruiting skills
    Great training in Nashville
    Good values as a company and teach great life skills

Cons

You are an independent contractor so paying taxes on your income is usually pretty bad
    The majority of students end up not breaking even or barely breaking even since expenses are so high.
    Leadership can be manipulative in order to motivate the students

Advice to Management

Some managers need to be more blunt about the rigor of the experience.

"Sales Person"

Former Freelancer - Sales Person in Montgomery, TX
    Former Freelancer - Sales Person in Montgomery, TX

I worked at Southwestern Advantage (More than a year)

Pros

Sales school taught me a ton. Amazing work ethic and great people to surround yourself with. You will grow as a human being exponentially if you do your best and don't let the negativity of other people influence you. You create your own schedule, learn how to keep great records, and are all on your own so you will learn a ton about yourself. This job helped me to get out of my comfort zone and I still use the skills i have learned after years. You can make a ton of money (13,500+) in the summer but sticking to schedule and concentrating on the job is a must. Great awards -- if you sell a certain amount you can win an expenses paid trip out of the country with the others who were this successful. I enjoyed working about 13 hours a day and made a lot of money in 3 months. I have amazing memories and stories about my summer (also some traumatizing ones though)

Cons

First years are taught the "best practices for success" however there is some sort of pressure to do so well that it can be overwhelming. If you don't do well then others lose their respect for you. They tell you that in order to make a lot of money and be successful you have to keep the schedule (wake up at 6:29, cold shower, meet at breakfast spot at 7, start selling by 8 and finish by 9:30) but many of the managers would not or they would lie about it. I was told to always keep my phone off but was put in about 3-5 terrifying and dangerous situations where I should have had it on me or at least turned on (my naivety in following everything they said). Humans can be incredibly harsh and most do not like solicitors so you will come across some super rude people that might not have any reason to "hate" you but do any way.

Advice to Management

Teach everyone better safety habits and that the focus should be on helping people gain a better education instead of money (you gain more from love then greed). better lessons on dealing with rejection and keeping a positive mental attitude. Help people understand the reasons for why its important to keep a schedule and records, and that its important to expect people to buy the books (the expectancy theory).

5. "Independent Contractor"

Former Intern - Independent Contractor in Nashville, TN

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Gained tons of experience in communications, sales, leadership as well as success principles. Very inspiring environment.

Cons

You get out of the job what you put into it. The best results come from long hours and lots of rejection.

Advice to Management

Be more open to interns about the growth process and how its ok to fail.

6. "Student Manager"

Former Intern - Student Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Intern - Student Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

I idid this internship two summers and recruited for a bit, was on the number 1 team in the nation
    Make a lot of money
    The challenge will definitely enable you to grow as a person
    Atmosphere and people are great
    I made 8k first year + residual and 11k + residual second year
    the incentive trip to cancun was the best experience of my life

Cons

Expenses when you add up gas, food, and cheap housing will be upwards of 3,500 easily
    They say average makes 8,000$ that is not true
    Not easy, will be the hardest thing you have ever done most likely emotionally
    80+ hours + rejection
    If you like a challenge or want to grow as a person this it.

Advice to Management

Keep up good work, be very selectful of who you select

7. "Decent internship"

Former Intern - Sales Representative in Columbia, MO
    Former Intern - Sales Representative in Columbia, MO

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-You have the ability to make a lot of money (not really as a first year)
    -Excellent internship for learning how to step out of your comfort zone
    -Good sales experience

Cons

-80 hour work weeks that can often be fruitless
    -Southwest does a poor job of making future interns aware of just how much work they're going to be required to do
    -As a first or even second year intern, the majority will not even end up turning a profit at the end of the summer

8. "Good experience for future jobs/careers"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Salisbury, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Salisbury, NC

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I did the summer college student "internship/job" as a sales representative for Southwestern Advantage. You get to go out of your home state for the entire summer and be independent. You will learn a lot both from the positive and negative experiences.

Cons

It is a door-to-door job, so that in itself explains a lot of the hardships that come with this experience. It can get frustrating & expensive if you are not making money.

"Incredible experience, unnecessarily challenging."

Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Nashville, TN

Pros

Learn hard work
    Outstanding sales training
    Hands-on, unique experience
    Learn a lot of life skills as a young age

Cons

Was told I would have somewhere to live, which was false
    Had to basically kill yourself to do this job
    90 hours a week, cold-calling
    They kind of feed you to the wolves

Southwestern Advantage Response

Mar 18, 2015 – Director of Communications

At Southwestern Advantage, we value feedback such as your in order to see what could have been done to make your experience a better one. Please feel free to contact us at 888-602-7867 if you would ... More

10. "Not the most luxurious summer job..."

Former Employee - First Year Salesperson in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - First Year Salesperson in Nashville, TN

Pros

...but there are a number of things worth considering about the summer internship. For those of us who actually abided by the proven sales techniques that we learn in sales school we fared significantly better than those who didn't. These are incredibly valuable skills that can be utilized in many professional settings. The opportunities for making a high profit are virtually all up to the individual: you can make as much money as you're willing to work for. The company also relocated all of the interns such that one would most likely work in a region of the country that they're not familiar with. There is a lot to learn about people and oneself on this internship.

Cons

Tough the company would argue otherwise, some regions are poorer than others and if you're put in one of these regions you're apt to make less money than someone else in another region will. That can be frustrating at times. Drama within the teams can also affect personal performance and morale. Internship much easier for people that already have good communication and presentation skills, and it gets even easier if you have a way to pay for your expenses while on the internship since the company pays for virtually nothing.

Advice to Management

Organization leaders and district sales managers need to find ways to improve relations between managers and first years and between OLs and the managers under them. Inter-organization drama was rampant during my first summer.

Southwestern Advantage Response

Feb 26, 2015 – Director of Communications

Feedback is always welcome! As an independent student representative, the summer sales and leadership program is certainly challenging in many aspects. It tends to attract college and university ... More

"Personal Growth WILL occur"

Former Intern - Independent Contractor in Cave City, KY
    Former Intern - Independent Contractor in Cave City, KY

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Grew personally, learned a lot about people and sales

Cons

no time to yourself except for when you're working. You burn out quickly! It was not good for my health afterwards.