Southwestern Advantage Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Southwestern Advantage Chairman & CEO Henry Bedford
Henry Bedford

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You learn a lot about people skills, communication and sales (in 16 reviews)

• I enjoyed working about 13 hours a day and made a lot of money in 3 months (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • pyramid scheme feel, long hours (in 37 reviews)

• Pitched to be a great paying job, but instead its just a door to door sales job where you MIGHT make UP TO (in 16 reviews)

1. "If your willing to work hard, this job pays enormous dividends."

Former Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Nashville, TN

Pros

No other company in the country will give you the amount of responsibility directly out of college. This company allows you to really test what you are made of.

Cons

Unless you become effective at selling educational books, the main product, it takes two or three years of recruiting in order to develop a large enough base to meet financial needs.

Advice to Management

I appreciated everything that Southwestern did for me while I worked there. Not only did they mentor me but they also took care of a large portion of unexpected medical bills (100K+), which they are not obligated to assist with. I will forever be in debt to the men and women at the Southwestern Company.

2. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - Associate Sales Leader in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Associate Sales Leader in Nashville, TN

Pros

Great supportive environment
    100% Commission
    Work hard play hard environment
    Work with highly motivated college students and recent graduates
    Lots of opportunities for growth within corporate structure
    Travel and reward trips

Cons

Lots of Travel
    No Base Pay

Advice to Management

Keep developing better internet and software based products

3. "Beast!"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

Pros

-Solid managers
    -They give you the tools necessary to succeed
    -Run your own business
    -Meet a ton of families and make connections
    -Great sales school

Cons

-A little disorganized
    -Not a con exactly, but be prepared. This will be the hardest job you will ever do. HOWEVER, in a recession I have gotten 9 interviews with the help of being a "bookman"

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! SW are a bunch of studs, and they will not hesitate to try and make you succeed. Very inspiring group.

4. "Career Jumpstarter for College Students"

Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Nashville, TN

Pros

Looks great on a resume
    Valuable life and work experience
    Best 2 summers of my life
    Made school 10x easier
    Employers love it

Cons

Work alot
    tiring if you dont have a car
    Have to like talking to people
    You better be tough as nails

Advice to Management

You guys are awesome. Don't change anything. You really care about the students and go the extra mile for them. Keep it up and you will continue to grow like your doing now

5. "Amazing :) Loved it. Learned more than I have in my other internships combined."

Current Employee - Student Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Student Manager in Nashville, TN

Pros

+ You learn so much about yourself
    + You learn how to lead and motivate people
    +Communication skills go over the roof
    + You travel to places you would have never traveled to
    + You meet amazing people

Cons

+ If you don't watch your expenses and book count you can lose a lot of money and have a small check when you come home.

Advice to Management

Great job leading groups. :) You are all amazing. I work with Ron. He's amazing!

"great way to gain hands-on business skills in college"

Current Employee - Student Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Student Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

awesome people, incentive trips, personal growth & challenge, resume building

Cons

long hours (80+/wk), travel during summer time

Advice to Management

keep on investing in the kids you work with!

7. "The most challenging and most rewarding, life-changing opportunity for building yourself personally and professionally."

Current Employee - Social Media, Marketing, PR in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Social Media, Marketing, PR in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Southwestern Advantage has a company culture and values of positivity, hard work, problem solving, integrity, commitment, friends, and service. The focus of the company program and products are to build people.

Cons

The challenges of the program are no guaranteed income or hourly pay, relocation, commitments, full responsibility for personal success/failure, dealing with rejection, hard work required in building a business

8. "Best "Life" Preparation Available for Young People"

Current Employee - Online Product Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Online Product Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I sold for 3 summers while in college. While selling, I met people who were so unbelievably kind to me, even though I was a complete stranger. I met families who had adopted over a dozen children, simply out of the goodness of their hearts and generosity of spirit. I met a family that owned a SKUNK, and another one that owned a fawn that had a collar and slept in a dog bed in the living room (hey, to each his own). I met successful business people, professional writers, dancers, farmers, lawyers, factory-workers, artists, teachers, and lots of Mom’s that worked their butts off being great Moms. I met families that were overflowing with love and respect for one another; and I met others who were not. I met women whom I aspired to be just like someday; and I met some whom I vowed never to emulate.

I learned more, about myself and about human nature, than I ever thought possible. I learned the value of hard work and the value of a dollar. I learned how to run a successful business, how to make decisions for myself, and how much impact a positive mental attitude can make on your life. I learned that complaining gets you nowhere, and making excuses almost sends you backward. I learned that supporting a friend is one of the most special gifts in the world, and that leadership can literally move mountains.

But above all, I learned that life is about living it. It’s not about fame or power, nor status or rank. It’s about figuring out who you really are, and how you can be that very best version of you - for the betterment of yourself and those around you.

After 3 years of selling books, I went off to work at Microsoft in online advertising sales in New York City. After 4 years there, I decided to come back to work with Southwestern Advantage, helping to develop their educational and success-readiness websites called Southwestern Advantage Online and SkWids. And quite frankly, I couldn’t be happier.

Cons

None. But be prepared to work harder than you have before - but also reap greater rewards.

9. "A unique opportunity to challenge oneself and grow from those challenges all the while helping others"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relationships, Mentoring, Challenges, Unique Product

Cons

Dealing with misinformed social media posts throughout the year especially during the summers

Advice to Management

Create a team that helps and maintains permit information for organizations during the summer

"A Life-Changing Opportunity"

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Southwestern Advantage summer program provides students with all the tools they need to be successful not just with Southwestern but for their lives. Students get the opportunity to run their own business, which helps them develop personal responsibility, interpersonal communication skills, solid work ethic, leadership ability, self-confidence, and time- and money-management abilities, among others. On top of that, the support structure available to students is second to none. The student managers truly care about the first-year students, and the sales managers are always available and honestly want to help the students they work with achieve success.

Cons

This program is definitely not for everyone. Some students do very poorly in the program, as pay is entirely based on the number of books they sell during the summer. What that means is that students who are not willing to put in 100% effort will not be successful. Also, students travel outside of their home state for the summer and work the equivalent of two full-time jobs. It is one of the most challenging summer programs for a college student, and students should seriously consider their options and not dive head-first into this program without careful consideration and understanding of what will be required of them.