Southwestern Advantage 136 Reviews | Glassdoor

Southwestern Advantage Reviews

Updated March 9, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • learn a lot about yourself and communication style, try to improve it (in 15 reviews)

• I enjoyed working about 13 hours a day and made a lot of money in 3 months (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Pitched to be a great paying job, but instead its just a door to door sales job where you MIGHT make UP TO (in 15 reviews)

• I worked very long hours but, my hard work brought great success (in 31 reviews)

"Southwestern Dis advantage"

Pros

Learned to know when a job/"opportunity" sounds too good to be true, that's because it really is and the fall is mighty steep

Cons

No work/life balance, very cult-like, robot galore fest, brainwashing at its best

Advice to Management

don't care

2. "Good experience for future jobs/careers"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Salisbury, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Salisbury, NC

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I did the summer college student "internship/job" as a sales representative for Southwestern Advantage. You get to go out of your home state for the entire summer and be independent. You will learn a lot both from the positive and negative experiences.

Cons

It is a door-to-door job, so that in itself explains a lot of the hardships that come with this experience. It can get frustrating & expensive if you are not making money.

3. "Sales Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company mission is outstanding. They do a terrific job with their college program, developing young people into contributors in various fields. They have also expanded into numerous verticals allowing those trained as undergrads, choices to remain in their family of companies.

Cons

Due to the above, can be incestuous. Sometimes companies need to "cross pollinate" to develop best practices. So hiring from outside the firm can be beneficial. It seems they do this in ops and accounting.

Advice to Management

See the above. Overall, it seems management has the ship pointed in the right direction.

5. "The Hardest Job You'll Ever Do, But One of The Best"

Former Employee - Student Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Student Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Southwestern Advantage (More than a year)

Pros

-This job provides a lot of room for personal growth and professional growth.
    -Its a summer internship in sales, communication and leadership.
    -You have an opportunity to build your own team through recruiting and watch them succeed.
    -Your personal manager and all other managers in your organization are great leaders that you will highly respect at the end of the summer.

Cons

-Mostly recruited through Universities
    -This is the hardest summer job you will ever do, but if you complete it, it will be one of the most rewarding experiences.
    -It is really the hardest summer job you can ever do, do not take that sentence for granted.
    -If you are not open minded this job is not for you.

Advice to Management

-Keep doing what you are doing. This job helped make me the best version of myself and I am eternally grateful for working here.

"Sales manager"

Former Employee - Field Sales Leader in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Field Sales Leader in Omaha, NE

I worked at Southwestern Advantage (More than 3 years)

Pros

Networking, traveling, driving across the country, meeting fake people, and false confidence

Cons

A cult in all ways. This company is all about control. They want to control every aspect of your daily life and give you nothing more than a sense of urgency to work harder for them and the advancement of their culture.

Advice to Management

Spend 6 months completely away from the company and anyone associated with the company and you will begin to realize the koolaid is poison.

Southwestern Advantage Response

Jun 22, 2015 – Director of Communications

We will be happy to listen to what led you to feel the way you do. Please contact at 888-602-7867.

"BEST Decision I've ever made!"

Current Employee - Student Manager
    Current Employee - Student Manager

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Personal Growth
    -Peer Group
    -Money! (I'll graduate debt free!)
    -Travel
    -Experience
    -Actual Responsibility
    -Growth/Management Opportunities
    -Challenge!!

Cons

-No Guarantees
    -Long Hours
    -Rejection

*Definitely not for everyone. People who do this job (and do it well) are motivated by these "cons." That being said, if these are deterrents for you, the job is not for you.

Advice to Management

Stay true to the mission. I appreciate all that I've gotten from the company in the past three years, and I look forward to learning more and giving back over the next few!

"Its something to put on your resume"

Former Employee - Intern in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Intern in Nashville, TN

Pros

-You become a better communicator
    -You can talk about your experience in an interview
    -If you're a born salesman or have nothing else to do and are desperate, then you got yourself an internship
    -I had moderate success so I was recognized, feels good but doesn't amount to much

Cons

-You become emotionally numb from 90+ hours each week of rejection
    -Managers only look out for their interests and that of the company
    -They expect incredible sales abilities with one week of "formal" training aka sales school
    -Company treats you like a number, rather than a person, because when you think of it, they can always find some other college student to do their work
    -Company loves to blame the individual for a bad experience by saying "we have plenty of campus wide meetings, or manager meetings, or workshops to help with that..." instead of owning up to their own lack of attention to their most valuable asset (their people)
    -After a summer they'll try to recruit you again by saying you had a great summer on paper, and they'll even have the nerve to make you feel bad for refusing

Advice to Management

Focus more on the individual, even though your process is designed around the elite, it doesn't always work for everyone. Also focus more on training your managers to lead, seems like all that managers do on phone calls and Sunday meetings is ask for numbers and offer little to nothing else. SW leaders seem great at recruiting but really bad, but i mean bad at leading from all the other dealers I've spoken to confidentially. I guess they are learning but not too sure if they are really improving...

Southwestern Advantage Response

May 26, 2015 – Director of Communications

Thank you for sharing your experience with the summer sales program. All feedback helps us improve as individuals and as a company. Please contact me if you would like to elaborate - Trey Campbell ... More

9. "The most rewarding, positive, growing experience a college student to pursue."

Former Employee - Student Manager in Johnstown, PA
    Former Employee - Student Manager in Johnstown, PA

Pros

Great people, incredible training, and tremendous growth potential.

Cons

straight commission-you have to work for every penny you make. I loved it though.

Advice to Management

continue to listen to your managers and give them a voice. You're doing a great thing!

10. "Great for a college student"

Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Batesville, MS
    Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Batesville, MS

Pros

-Great learning experience
    -Personal growth
    -Communication building

Cons

-Long hours and no guarantees

Advice to Management

MOVE FAST!

11. "Great experience work hard and you will do well"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are your own boss no limit to what you can do

Cons

If you don't work you don't get paid commission based

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work