Southwestern Advantage Reviews | Glassdoor

Southwestern Advantage Reviews

Updated April 18, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • learn a lot about yourself and communication style, try to improve it (in 15 reviews)

• I enjoyed working about 13 hours a day and made a lot of money in 3 months (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • I worked very long hours but, my hard work brought great success (in 35 reviews)

• Pitched to be a great paying job, but instead its just a door to door sales job where you MIGHT make UP TO (in 15 reviews)

1. "Best leadership & mentorship"

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is my 6th year working for Southwestern Advantage. I first heard about their summer internship during my freshman year of college at UC Berkeley from a close friend. Not only have I enjoyed my time working here, but I have also grown so much in many aspects of my professional and personal life. Besides the financial compensation and the travel opportunities, the main reason I have decided to come back year after year is the leadership and mentorship in the company. Whenever I have a question or need some advice/guidance, I can very easily and comfortably ask my regional director, and even the President or CEO. It is because of my relentless work-ethic and their leadership that I have been able to reach high levels of success and help my colleagues experience the same. While my ultimate career goal is to become am athletic coach and trainer for professionals, I can say that Southwestern has helped paved the way. And best of all, we market and sell some of the top educational resources in the market. We do a great thing!

Cons

The things that are challenging about the job, are the very reasons that give me opportunities to develop personally and professional: learning to be ok with working long hours, following through with my commitments after the feeling has passed, being a disciplined example for those who I train and lead, sacrificing the things I want in the moment for the things I want most in the future.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay true to our message of controlling only our attitudes and efforts, and letting the rest work itself out.

"The toughest, most rewarding job I've ever had"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Nashville, TN

I worked at Southwestern Advantage part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gain concrete, marketable skills
    Learn and perfect soft skills
    Master the art of Closing

Cons

Long hours
    Dealing with rejection
    Confront fears of missing out, failure and the unknown

"DO NOT DO IT"

Former Employee - Door-to-Door Sales in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Door-to-Door Sales in Nashville, TN

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You COULD make some money

Cons

So many hours (80 per week)! Not guaranteed any money

"Southwestern was one of the best/hardest things I have ever done"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Newark, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Newark, OH

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best Training Around in entire country for pre-grD

Cons

One of the hardest things I have ever done

"A Life-Changing Opportunity"

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Southwestern Advantage summer program provides students with all the tools they need to be successful not just with Southwestern but for their lives. Students get the opportunity to run their own business, which helps them develop personal responsibility, interpersonal communication skills, solid work ethic, leadership ability, self-confidence, and time- and money-management abilities, among others. On top of that, the support structure available to students is second to none. The student managers truly care about the first-year students, and the sales managers are always available and honestly want to help the students they work with achieve success.

Cons

This program is definitely not for everyone. Some students do very poorly in the program, as pay is entirely based on the number of books they sell during the summer. What that means is that students who are not willing to put in 100% effort will not be successful. Also, students travel outside of their home state for the summer and work the equivalent of two full-time jobs. It is one of the most challenging summer programs for a college student, and students should seriously consider their options and not dive head-first into this program without careful consideration and understanding of what will be required of them.

7. "Interesting experience, kind of boring at times"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashville, TN

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great people, hours, work/life balance

Cons

management, pay, customer service is not knowledgable

Advice to Management

Visit customer service more often and give access to other departments for advancement

8. "A unique opportunity to challenge oneself and grow from those challenges all the while helping others"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relationships, Mentoring, Challenges, Unique Product

Cons

Dealing with misinformed social media posts throughout the year especially during the summers

Advice to Management

Create a team that helps and maintains permit information for organizations during the summer

9. "Best "Life" Preparation Available for Young People"

Current Employee - Online Product Manager in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Online Product Manager in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I sold for 3 summers while in college. While selling, I met people who were so unbelievably kind to me, even though I was a complete stranger. I met families who had adopted over a dozen children, simply out of the goodness of their hearts and generosity of spirit. I met a family that owned a SKUNK, and another one that owned a fawn that had a collar and slept in a dog bed in the living room (hey, to each his own). I met successful business people, professional writers, dancers, farmers, lawyers, factory-workers, artists, teachers, and lots of Mom’s that worked their butts off being great Moms. I met families that were overflowing with love and respect for one another; and I met others who were not. I met women whom I aspired to be just like someday; and I met some whom I vowed never to emulate.

I learned more, about myself and about human nature, than I ever thought possible. I learned the value of hard work and the value of a dollar. I learned how to run a successful business, how to make decisions for myself, and how much impact a positive mental attitude can make on your life. I learned that complaining gets you nowhere, and making excuses almost sends you backward. I learned that supporting a friend is one of the most special gifts in the world, and that leadership can literally move mountains.

But above all, I learned that life is about living it. It’s not about fame or power, nor status or rank. It’s about figuring out who you really are, and how you can be that very best version of you - for the betterment of yourself and those around you.

After 3 years of selling books, I went off to work at Microsoft in online advertising sales in New York City. After 4 years there, I decided to come back to work with Southwestern Advantage, helping to develop their educational and success-readiness websites called Southwestern Advantage Online and SkWids. And quite frankly, I couldn’t be happier.

Cons

None. But be prepared to work harder than you have before - but also reap greater rewards.

10. "The most challenging and most rewarding, life-changing opportunity for building yourself personally and professionally."

Current Employee - Social Media, Marketing, PR in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Social Media, Marketing, PR in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Southwestern Advantage has a company culture and values of positivity, hard work, problem solving, integrity, commitment, friends, and service. The focus of the company program and products are to build people.

Cons

The challenges of the program are no guaranteed income or hourly pay, relocation, commitments, full responsibility for personal success/failure, dealing with rejection, hard work required in building a business

11. "Excellent experience if willing to go the distance"

Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience. Employers love to see the dedication and persistence. Quickly develop strong people skills.

Cons

Long hours, hard to hear no 30 times a day.

Advice to Management

Good system exists. Successful, driven individuals can do very well.