Southwestern Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Southwestern Energy CEO Steven L. Mueller
Steven L. Mueller

Pros
  • The company is the best I have seen at promoting a work - life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Good work life balance, 9/80 work schedule for office personnel, competitive salary, pension plan and 401K a plus (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Still have good ole boy system at lower management when hiring and raises (in 5 reviews)

• Lack of communication from Upper Management (in 8 reviews)

1. "Manager of Geophysics"

Former Employee - Manager of Geophysics in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager of Geophysics in Houston, TX

I worked at Southwestern Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very healthy salary and bonus structure, nice work environment.

Cons

A production company with a mediocre exploration effort over the last 8 years.

Advice to Management

Exploration division needs to be completely revamped

"Great Company BAD MANAGEMENT!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cypress, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cypress, TX

I worked at Southwestern Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, opportunity to receive Bonuses, Policy and procedures that were put in place were really good.. Management lacked the ability to enforce them due to favoritism.

Cons

Too much favoritism. If you were not apart of the GOOD OLE Boys group you were not going to receive opportunities to move up. Hard work is not rewarded unless you were buddy buddy with management

Advice to Management

There definitely needs to be a look at who is placed in charge. Most managers of departments are not capable of leading or managing a team. Team morale is very bad due to this because most people on the team understand how favoritism is the only way to move up

3. "Meh"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Southwestern Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, good bonuses. Lot of shuffling of the guard and reorganizations taking place.

Cons

IT is a sweatshop with favoritism in play that rewards and promotes incompetency. A lot of indecision and misdirection from management

5. "Technician"

Former Employee - Technician in Conway, AR
    Former Employee - Technician in Conway, AR

I worked at Southwestern Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When company first started, they were great to work for and treated employees like family.

Cons

As the company grew, so did the lack of care for their employees. Gas prices dropped and the employees they promised they would never lay off, they would find other positions for them, began to get laid off.

Advice to Management

Always keep your word, and treat your employees like humans. They are not yard dogs.

"So-so"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Southwestern Energy (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall laid back environment, competitive benefits, 9/80 work schedule,

Cons

Way too many levels of management - they seem to make up redundant positions just to give promotions to the favorites; way, way overboard when it comes to office safety (scolding you for not using handrails, wasting countless hours and money on field-based safety programs for non-technical office employees that will never step foot near operations)

"Right people? Right things?"

I have been working at Southwestern Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company offers competitive salaries and benefits. The new office building in Houston is nice. On the surface, the atmosphere appears friendly.

Cons

Scratch beneath the surface and you'll find the atmosphere is anything but friendly. Management only promotes those that play the "suck up" game (The Right People?). Because of this, back stabbing among the rank and file is common. To get recognized by management, people will say and do anything (The Right Things?). Despite what appears to be a robust safety program. Management doesn't care about safety. One Senior VP has said repeatedly, for years, that he's to busy to attend safety meetings. Another Senior VP has said many times, "I don't care about safety." This is a direct quote. Finally, despite a very nice vacation package. You can't actually use your vacation. Three times this year, three different employees in my department, including me, have been forced to return from vacation, because of poor scheduling and planning by the department head.

"Bad place for this Veteran"

I have been working at Southwestern Energy full-time

Pros

Salaries and benefits are within industry standards

Cons

I am a veteran who has served honorably in the U.S. armed services. The management team led by Steve Mueller has no concept of service. Therefore, they don't understand Veterans. They don't understand sacrifice, integrity, nor the unique training and experience the sets Veterans apart. I have heard several snide comments from senior management about Veterans. I also know of one senior vice president who has bragged that no Veteran will ever be promoted in his department. If some Veterans have had a good experience here, I'm happy for them, but that has not been the case for me. I feel that I owe it to my fellow brothers and sisters who have served this country to use utmost caution before signing on at Southwestern Energy.

9. "Don't work here if you can help it."

Current Employee - Engineer in Conway, AR
    Current Employee - Engineer in Conway, AR

I have been working at Southwestern Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is ok for the area.

Cons

Pay is not good for the field. A lot of bad management. You get fed a lot of lies and false promises to keep you working there.

Advice to Management

I could say a lot here. But, be more loyal to good employees and reward accordingly.

10. "Horrible raises and poor leadership"

Former Employee - Midstream in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Midstream in Houston, TX

I worked at Southwestern Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible, good place to learn

Cons

promotions, "raises", no direction whatsoever

Advice to Management

Management is distant and relies on everyone else lower down the chain to do their work, don't do things on their own and leads to poor morale. Culture started out strong and has consistently gone downhill from 2008 forward.

11. "WAKE UP!! Management!!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conway, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conway, AR

Pros

This company over all does good and the real people you work for are awesome. These are the ones in the trenches with you.

Cons

When you are asked about a bride and you don't do it your screwed!!! They can do about anything and get away with it. I have tried on numerous occasions to bring this to light and you cant just prove this. Any cash deal is hidden and with out proof your the liar!!! I have worked on and off for SWN and recently had to go above this persons head to get work and after this he was sure to get me out. Guess what he did, he manipulated the upper management and they don't even realize this. Sadly I am the one to loose and this is to continue. I am still trying to fix this and bring to light. But sadly his Cloak of perfectness he has is tough to break. I have tried to work with everyone and there is no responses, I am sure he has turned me into a monster that lies and so deceitful, but this is not true, he is just like the bad uncle in the family that they just don't want to see go.

Advice to Management

Sometimes you need to look at the real problem, The first thing to solve a problem is find out what the issue really is, listen to both sides, IMPORTANT. Then make a decision. If I came in there a preached for a while, sooner or later you would believe what I said. That does not mean its true!!!!