Sovos Reviews

3.5
Sovos President and CEO Andy Hovancik
Andy Hovancik
Pros
Cons
  • "There is also a high turnover in a few offices(in 11 reviews)

• "Low pay but funny management system, no planning(in 8 reviews)

1. "I feel lucky"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Sovos full-time for more than a year

Pros

I think that COVID-19 has really put what I do in perspective - and specifically it has really shined a light on what kind of company I work for. In a really good way. People at Sovos gripe about a lot of things that really don't matter in the grand scheme of things (I don't think that's a Sovos specific thing either - people always gripe about what they aren't getting) but these past two months has really reminded me how awesome Sovos is. First of all - I still have a job. And that's something 40 million people can't say right now. Not only that - but I have a job that I can do safely from my home and Sovos made the decision to do that basically immediately. I have pretty good health benefits so that if something did happen and I got sick - I wouldn't be in trouble. We have flexible time off - so if someone I know got sick I can help them. Managers are incredibly flexible and let me do my work when it makes sense (read - if I have to get my kid set up on one of 100,000 zoom meetings in the middle of the day I can) and I have never felt micromanaged. Yes - the company changes a lot. Yes - things are fast paced. Yes - I think that entry level roles here could pay more. But in the grand scheme of things we work for a company that cares enough about their employees to change their entire business model when they didn't have to (they didn't have to let people in Sweden work from home, for example).

Cons

There are always areas that a company can improve upon (again - salaries in services specifically start low. I've definitely made more quickly but still) but right now, I am happy to work for a solid, stable, growing company where I feel safe and looked out for and healthy.

Sovos2020-05-22

May 26, 2020Chief Sales Officer

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback and for sharing your appreciation of Sovos! Being able to transition 1,500 employees to a 100% remote workforce was not an easy decision nor a simple feat, but we have a fantastic global IT team to help transition and support us along the way. We pride ourselves on our natural collaboration that occurs while in our offices, but we knew the health and safety of our employees was critical. And our ability to continue our mission of Solving Tax for Good for our customers was something we weren’t ready to give up on. We also very much appreciate your feedback regarding your manager. Our people are the best part of Sovos, and our front-line managers deserve a ton of credit for helping lead through this unprecedented situation. Again, thank you for your feedback and we’ll work to ensure a solid and growing company that you can continue to be proud to be a part of. - Joe Healey, CSO & Managing Director, Americas

2. "Hard Work and Recognition"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive

I have been working at Sovos full-time

Pros

Hard work does not go unnoticed in this organization. The VP of Sales and even CSO take an active role in ensuring success across the organization. This org allows you to communicate on a nickname basis with leadership and leaders care about you learning from mistakes and celebrating wins. The pay is pretty average but great if you’re a top performer. COVID has proven the adaptability of the workforce as well as its financial stability. Unlimited PTO means great work life balance for a sales job too! Bottom line: This is a great place to work!

Cons

Fast paced and high growth. Things move quickly at this company. If you don’t do well with change or process improvements then it’s probably not a good fit. You might have to take a call on a day off or respond to an email once in a while but this is sales.

Sovos2020-05-18

May 21, 2020Chief Sales Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback. At Sovos our core purpose is simple: to enable people to improve their way of life. Sometimes we can accomplish this for our employees in very obvious ways (Flexible PTO), and sometimes they’re not so obvious - like our newly implemented Global recognition platform. We’re proud of the adaptability that we’ve shown in our response to COVID-19. Going 100% remote in a few short days to ensure the health and safety of our employees, while continuing to meet our commitments to our customers uninterrupted is no small feat. Thank you for your continued commitment. I take our team's recommendations to heart, and am constantly looking for new and exciting ways to improve and encourage success. If you have any ideas shoot them my way – I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts. Thanks again for the feedback. We’re glad to have you as a part of our organization. --Joe Healey CSO, Managing Director

"Terrible Leadership"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Sovos full-time for more than a year

Pros

Able to bond with other employees over poor management. Unlimited PTO but expected to still do your work on those days you are off.

Cons

Management is awful. If you like to be micro managed and told exactly how you have to do things then this is your place. There is absolutely no leadership in this organization because everything is constantly changing so theres no point for a process to be put in place. My manager had 10 employees leave under him in less than 2 years and management does/has done nothing. Its pathetic how they treat people. I even had my boss calling my clients behind my back trying to force them to sign paperwork. In the year I have been at this company I have seen 3 sales directors leave, my entire team turned over, and gaps in leadership like a CMO, COO, Product and pricing leaders, plus competent sales leaders in the minnetonka office especially.

Sovos2020-05-13

May 14, 2020Chief Sales Officer

Your review is very critical, and I would like the opportunity to respond. We understand how important it is to have a good manager. Your assessment of the leadership team, and of your manager specifically, is inaccurate and unfair. Here is why – at Sovos, we pride ourselves on adhering to strong values and core beliefs. We expect each of our global team members to embody those characteristics, especially our managers. Our mission of Solving Tax for Good cannot be accomplished without great employees, and great employees cannot do their work without the support of their leaders. Most recently, we have adapted some of our trainings to focus on effective management of remote teams to adapt to our new circumstances. And it is with that in mind that I am so surprised by your comments about management and leadership. Not only because they ring untrue to me, but because they are the complete opposite of our core values of collaboration and accountability. I also want to clarify your misunderstanding of Andy’s comments regarding meetings at Sovos. In last year’s engagement survey we received feedback that meetings at Sovos were not viewed as being effective. We have spent a great deal of time over the past year coming up with strategies to improve that – and we were proud to have Andy announce some of those during our recent All-Hands meeting. If our improvement leads to fewer meetings, great. But the intent is that it leads to more effective meetings. I don’t want to confuse Andy’s messaging about our improvements with the need to be adaptable to our newly changed work environment. These improvements were made before COVID-19 changed our work lives (and home lives). If you noticed that your manager was requesting more time with you – it is not in direct contradiction to our desire to improve meetings – it is because we also realize that we need to adapt. We have encouraged managers to reach out more frequently right now. We recognize that many employees need more support and more communication from their managers, not less. In fact, our recent internal survey about COVID-19 and our response indicated that one of the things that our employees appreciated, and wanted more of, is frequent communication. If you feel like that was not something you needed or that you did not agree with, I wish you would have felt comfortable enough to go to your manager (or me) directly. I appreciate the time and dedication you put in at Sovos and we wish you well in your next role. - Joe

"Not worth it"

I have been working at Sovos full-time

Pros

Knowledge, opportunities that may await after

Cons

Everything else, including the mental stress and underpayment. Oh, but there's snacks.

Sovos2020-04-10

April 14, 2020CFO

I’m surprised by your experience at Sovos. Sovos values our talented and engaged employees, and years ago we rolled out our myTime program to allow employees the time off they need. It has been one of our most well-received initiatives year over year, and it provides our team with much needed work/life balance. Your feedback regarding time off contradicts what we see, which is that our employees actually take more time off rather than less as a result of this myTime benefit. If you experienced otherwise, I wish you would have spoken up to a member of HR or one of our senior leaders. Additionally, nepotism has no place in the Sovos culture and is in direct conflict with our core values. Every part of our process down to our interviews are done in a method to ensure our decisions are fair and unbiased. Again, I wish you had voiced your concerns while you were here, and we wish you luck in your future endeavors.

5. "Interview/Onboarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Sovos full-time for less than a year

Pros

A company with a great culture and lot of transparency within all departments. The interview consisted of a cognitive and behavioral test online & proctored as well. Upon the interview, I was invited for an in-person interview with multiple people from the management team. It lasted for about 2 hours. Pretty straight forward behavioral questions with a lot of information about the position and the role. The entire process took about 2 weeks. Top notch communication system throughout the company. Got a phone call few days upon my interview with an offer and accepted it.

Cons

Just started a week ago so I don't have any. Perhaps the pay grade can be improvised based on the applicants' experience and skill set.

Sovos2020-03-06

March 19, 2020Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for taking a moment to leave your thoughts. I’m glad that you had a positive interview experience! Our process is a bit unique, but it’s that process that allows us to hire so many talented people that make up that great culture that you pointed out. I’m so pleased that, despite only being here for a short amount of time, you have already been able to identify some of the areas that really make Sovos great. Be Collaborative is one of our core values. As a global organization with offices in 10 countries – collaboration and transparency are two areas that enable us to be as successful as we are. As you work here longer, I am sure that you will identify areas that you do think can be improved upon and I encourage you to not be shy and to step up and off your suggestions on how to make them better. You can make meaningful changes here at Sovos from Day 1. Thanks for joining us, we are so glad that you are a part of our team.

6. "Awesome"

I have been working at Sovos full-time for more than a year

Pros

The opportunities to advance your career at Sovos are incredible. The company consistently takes chances on it's own employees instead of hiring from the outside. People tend to think that you have to leave Sovos to make more money, or get more opportunity - but all you really have to do is raise your hand. The company is consistently investing in resources - whether it be its recent reboot of Salesforce or the consistent time and effort put into renovating offices globally. You will not want for anything while you work here The flexible time off is awesome. You are consistently challenged. Not everyone likes that. Some people enjoy being able to coast. And that's fine. But that's not Sovos. You learn, you're challenged and you're never bored. I know that there are some complaints about salary. I am very happy with mine. I have always felt like I was paid fairly. Some of our entry-level roles start lower, but the opportunities to advance quickly are there if you look for them. I am sure that there are some senior leaders here that aren't great -but the ones that I know personally are awesome. Connecting it back to that first thing about development - they are always always always cheerleaders for you if you want to grow within the organization. They will never hold you back. I just really like working here. I've worked in many different environments at a bunch of companies - and this is by far the best. I think a lot of people who leave here - especially those of you that were hired here straight out of college - are going to be really disappointed to find that the grass really isn't always greener. We have it pretty good here!

Cons

Things do change a lot. I actually view that as a pro as well - but sometimes it gets annoying. This is nitpicky - but there are no admins to help you. There are people who sit at the front desk (sometimes - its hit or miss if they're there when you need them) and they are pretty clear that their job is not to help you with anything from an admin standpoint. Like figure it out yourself. Which I get - we are all grown ups but maybe we could just hire some people who like, don't mind telling you where the notebooks are.

Sovos2020-02-10

March 1, 2020Chief Sales Officer

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I wanted to respond to this review personally because it touches on so many parts of our organization that make me proud. We put a lot of time, effort and resources into making Sovos a great place to work – and a cornerstone of that is the idea of career development. We hire talented, career-minded people who can contribute, develop and grow. Sure, I enjoy watching people contribute, but watching our employees develop and grow is far more rewarding. I’m pleased to hear that you have experienced and taken advantage of these opportunities and that your manager has supported you throughout. I’m also pleased to see that even though sometimes change can be frustrating, you can also see the positive in it. We do change a lot, but you can’t have a big, audacious goal like Solve Tax for Good and remain complacent. Part of those changes often do come from acquisition and I take your point about not losing our sense of self as we grow. We have over 1,400 employees in 10 countries – but our core values have always remained the same. I will pass along your feedback about the front office staff. Our office coordinators are tasked with a tremendous amount of work. It’s not easy to support all these offices – but if we can do anything to improve that we will try. Thank you again for your feedback.

"Dishonest leadership + poor compensation + a bad product"

I worked at Sovos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I met some great friends here in my 2.5 years. Almost everyone I worked with was a genuinely good person. It’s also very easy to move up the corporate ladder in a short span of time if you prove yourself to be smart and enthusiastic.

Cons

The pay is very low. I was promoted (for the second time) after a year and a half, and was making $20,000 under the median salary for my new title in my area. I was told I was only eligible for a performance-based raise; not for a new salary reflecting my added responsibilities. And they even nickel-and-dimed me on the performance-based raise, despite consistently positive reviews from my supervisors. The corporate culture is nonexistent; they hire entry-level talent for cheap and people leave constantly because of it. The “Boston” office is actually 20 miles north of the city right off 93 in a depressing corporate office park. Ditto “Minneapolis” and “Atlanta.” By far the most comical was their attempt to spin Farnborough in the UK as “London” – it’s nearly two hours away! The “Executive Leadership Team” is completely full of it, and they barely attempt to hide it. Everyone knows the product and the company are not viable long-term; the software is 30 years out of date and all recorded revenue growth is a result of ill-fated acquisitions to “expand our global footprint” (read: acquire companies that are actually good at what they do in the hope that it’ll rub off on Sovos).

Sovos2020-02-25

March 1, 2020CEO

It is no accident you worked with great people during your time at Sovos, or that you saw a career path here for smart, engaged professionals. Our strategy is to hire for culture and talent – even over experience – because we know talented people will rise to the challenges of a dynamic, growing company in a dynamic, growing market. Nearly half of our 1,300+ employees are early in their careers. They come to Sovos because they can get experiences they wouldn’t get anywhere else. Is this a company where you will work in the heart of a city? In some of our 14 global locations, yes, and in others, no. Is this a company where career-minded people have the chance to learn and advance while helping our customers manage the digital transformation of tax? In every Sovos office, the answer is “yes.” This approach works for the company and most of the people that work here. IDC named Sovos a leader in its 2019 MarketScape report on our market, and Gartner recently positioned us as one of only three compliance vendors of note (including one we’ve since acquired) in a competitive landscape. I hope everyone who works here takes pride in how these independent industry analysts have evaluated Sovos product vision and individual solutions. The people who thrive at Sovos, as it sounds you did with two promotions in less than three years, do so because they embody our core values to be collaborative, accountable, adaptable, proactive and professional. That is the Sovos culture. Thanks for your contributions to Sovos during your time here. We wish you the best in your future career.

8. "Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Compliance Services Associate

I have been working at Sovos full-time

Pros

Are truly supportive of growth and invest in people.

Cons

too short duration to assess

Sovos2020-01-18

January 21, 2020Chief Sales Officer

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. We’re glad to hear that you've enjoyed your experience so far, and have noticed the investment in career growth and our employees. After all, our employees are what make Sovos so special! Welcome to the team and looking forward to watching your career grow.

9. "Project Manager"

Current Employee - Connectivity Engineer in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Sovos full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great teamwork, fast paced, room for growth

Cons

Consistent realignment for no apparent reason

Sovos2020-01-13

January 20, 2020CTO

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. I completely agree with all of the nice things you say about Sovos. There is a ton of room for growth here and the people are great. You nailed it. I also understand your critique. We do change a lot – occasionally that comes in the form of realignments. I can assure you that there are always reasons for why – sometimes it’s because the market is changing in ways that require us to adapt, sometimes it’s because we have acquired a new company and are integrating new employees. It’s important for our employees to understand the why of what we are doing – and we have put an emphasis on improving top down communication at Sovos in recent years to make it clear, effective and timely. We have seen improved feedback from employees on engagement surveys, but it’s an area that we will continue to focus and improve on. I want to thank you for being at Sovos for over 5 years! We value your service, and encourage you to continue to speak out about areas you would like to see improvement with myself directly or any other member of leadership.

10. "Great place to grow career"

Former Employee - Sales, Product, Project Management in Boston, MA

I worked at Sovos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I had a great experience at Sovos, and really did not fully appreciate how wonderful Sovos is until I left (moved to a new city). Sovos gave me the opportunity to learn and advance in multiple roles and areas within business- which I truly believe I would have not gotten anywhere else. They are very open to internal role/ department transfers which helped me figure out what I want to do, and they did not just stick me in a bucket that wasn't best for me. I had several female managers in different my different positions at Sovos and had incredibly positive impacts both personally and professionally. On top of the impact management had, the company emphasized training and professional growth for employees. They have wonderful programming for growing leaders, however you want to define being a leader in your career. The culture is a work hard, play hard one with a focus on accountability and collaboration.

Cons

Pay can be lower compared to other companies around, but there are other benefits that make up for this (unlimited time off, company and team events, burritos from Andy)

Sovos2019-12-16

December 19, 2019Chief of Staff + Head of Customer Engagement

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with Sovos. I am thrilled to hear your experience here was so positive and you had the opportunity to learn from our great team, try new things and grow in your career.We really appreciate you noticing focus on building a highly-collaborative culture that encourages career-minded employees to learn new skills and experience new roles. We also work hard to make sure every employee is compensated fairly with a total rewards experience. As you mentioned, this includes not only salary, but also flexible time off, career development opportunities, and involvement with the community through our Whole Living program.Thank you again for your feedback, best of luck and keep learning & growing!Laura HandlerChief of Staff

• 1