Sovos Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Sovos President and CEO Andy Hovancik
Andy Hovancik

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Tons of opportunity - the company is growing both organically and inorganically" (in 9 reviews)

• "There were plenty of great perks like free snacks/sodas/lacroix/coffee and a ping pong table" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is also a high turnover in a few offices" (in 8 reviews)

• "The work isn't engaging and low pay" (in 7 reviews)

"A great place to grow and learn"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Sovos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are given the opportunity to move up within the company If you work hard and show your true potential!

Monthly happy hours
    VTO-8 hours a year
    Unlimited PTO
    WFH flexibility

Cons

Pay could be higher, when compared to competitors

Advice to Management

Continue to praise the employees that work very hard to make Sovos great!!

Mar 7, 2019 – CFO

Thank you for taking the time to provide such great feedback! We hire smart, hard-working and career-minded individuals, so providing those opportunities you mentioned is fairly simple when you’ve... More

2. "Needs better management and support; not ideal but not unbearable"

I worked at Sovos full-time

Pros

Sovos provides a learning opportunity and motivates you to be self-taught, meaning there is zero training and little to no support from management for new employees. Learning about Sovos' products on your own is a strength I suppose, since it shows you how to tread water and not drown under all the information.
    The free snacks are also cool. "Unlimited" PTO is alright too. Although disproportionately given, the work from home opportunities were nice. The health insurance was nothing special, but the coverage was good. Bonus and 401K matching availability were a plus too.

Cons

My time at Sovos taught me a lot. I learned about what not to do in a corporate setting. If I Googled "top 15 signs of a toxic work environment", my office hit all 15 and then some. It may depend on your location, since Sovos is a "global" company; and "global" meaning I watched other's jobs get sent to other offices overseas because the company was too cheap to pay their wages yet bragged about huge profits during a meeting.
    It also depends on who you know at certain offices. If you are a friend or family member of someone high up in the company, expect promotions, job security, and an enjoyable environment. If you are not, go to work and get your job done.
    There is also a high turnover in a few offices. Managers are people who are under the wing of the higher us (friends or family) or are simply just not fit to be in management.
    The non-manegerial individuals that I worked with were highly talented, intelligent, patient, and gifted people. However, due to bad internal processes, lack-of resources, bad management practices, and a toxic work environment, it was difficult to utilize their strengths to forward the company and assignments.

Advice to Management

Train people. Give instruction from the basics regarding the products.

Mar 29, 2019 – Chief Talent Officer

We appreciate your review of the Pros at Sovos. We agree with you there are perks, benefits, and bonus opportunities at Sovos that are unique and meet the needs and desires of our employees. We... More

"High Turnover"

I worked at Sovos full-time

Pros

Lots of free morale-boosting pizza.

Cons

Boring products, not the sharpest employees.

Feb 28, 2019 – Chief Talent Officer

Your review might be short, but I take it very seriously as it calls out the two areas of the company that we are most proud of – our products and, more importantly, our people. Tax compliance may... More

"Interview and on-boarding process! First 48 and boot camp!"

Pros

Sovos is amazing every step of the way. From the interview process to the training. You meet incredibly passionate people who radiate the company’s culture.

Cons

There is a lot to learn at first but the training and trainers do an amazing job of making you feel at ease.

Feb 15, 2019 – Chief Talent Officer

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review! We agree there is definitely a lot to learn about Sovos and our industry and we try to break that down as you enter our Onboarding programs. I am... More

"Interviewing/Onboarding Process"

Current Employee - Customer Success Advisor
    Current Employee - Customer Success Advisor

I have been working at Sovos full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I spoke with two people whom I would not be working with directly and two whom I would be working with directly. This gave me the sense that the company really cares about who they bring on board. In addition, I found my interview with my boss and coworker to be very informative about what the job would be, down to the day-to-day.

The on-boarding when I was hired was excellent. There is an orientation where they throw the entire company at you so you get a real sense of what the overall goals are and how much they care about growth and their employees. The HR rep in charge of this orientation was exceptional!

Cons

They do make you jump through a lot of hoops to get the gig. It can be nerve-wracking. The orientation can also be overwhelming at first. I found these easy to get passed however.

Advice to Management

Keep going with the current on-boarding procedures. They really help get the employee on the same page with what the company's goals are and really show the focus on growth and people.

Feb 15, 2019 – Chief of Staff + Head of Customer Engagement

Thanks for the feedback!

We’re glad to hear that your interview process was a positive one. And while it can be cumbersome, we believe the end result of hiring talented people who are a great... More

"Great company with constant change"

Former Employee - Software Support Analyst
    Former Employee - Software Support Analyst

I worked at Sovos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company growth means lots of change and opportunity for growth.
    Management is great.
    Company culture is fun and accommodating, with things such as food and beverage amenities, catering, and events. Unlimited PTO!

Cons

Lots of change and uncertainty as decisions are kept quiet until they are happening. Pay could be higher.

Jan 18, 2019 – Chief Sales Officer

Thanks for the feedback. We realize that people spend a good chunk of their time at work – and we want to make sure that it’s in an environment that is enjoyable! And we also want to make sure that... More

"Weak Leadership, High Turnover"

Former Employee - Operations
    Former Employee - Operations

I worked at Sovos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

During tax season you are well fed and are given positive reinforcement to bring you through the toughest part of the year.

There is always a need for tax compliance, so as long as you stay in good standing job security is pretty strong.

Compared to other software out there, Taxport is actually ok in spite of what clients and home office staff may complain about. No software is perfect.

About 4-5 months of the year you are essentially a non-essential employee.

Good stepping stone job to get exposure to many different people and industries, both at Sovos and through your client load. Exposure to the SAAS industry is important for today's job market as well.

Cons

Questioning the status quo comes with judgement from leadership. Those who get promoted are those who do not rock the boat and perform their job adequately.

High turnover is a result of the high stress, low reward environment. Many people leave the company without tying up loose ends on their accounts as a result of the low task identity. This creates a vicious cycle of coming into unhappy accounts that NEED Sovos because they have ingrained their tax compliance solution into their annual reporting process. Some introductions to clients contained airing a grievance about their previous service being inadequate.

As a result of the high turnover, it is evident that Sovos needs you more than you need them. Getting competent people to learn and use their software is their greatest service resource. Fortunately there will always be overqualified people leaving undergrad needing work.

This is many manager's first leadership experience, and the growing pains are not acknowledged or developed. Again- maintain the status quo, bring the clients through tax season.

Advice to Management

When I got upset with a client interaction, you told me to change my attitude. In my new role when I got upset with a client interaction, my boss told me it showed that I cared and channeled that energy into a positive result, not as a judgement on my character.

Feb 11, 2019 – Chief Sales Officer

Thanks for the feedback, both constructive and positive. Our Operations teams do have peaks and valleys in their workload, especially here in North America due to the cyclical nature of tax. I... More

"Best Place Ever #blessed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Sovos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My title is sort of corny, but it's accurate. I love working at Sovos. The people are great. Its fun. The unlimited time off is fabulous. I've taken advantage of tuition reimbursement and been able to take trainings that I never would have before. But most of all - I've been given career opportunities that I would never have been able to get on the outside. Sovos believes that smart people can learn new things - and I guess they think I'm smart. In two years, I've been able to move around within the company, make more money, meet new people, travel and gain invaluable experiences. The days go by quickly and it really is just the best place I've ever worked.

Cons

Some departments do have busy seasons where they have to work long hours for a few months. The plus is that if you hate that - its super easy to find other parts of the company where you can move to and thrive. The insurance is also lackluster. Everything counts towards the deductible.

Advice to Management

Keep trusting your employees to take on new challenges.

Dec 26, 2018 – Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time for writing such a glowing review! We’re really happy to hear that you’ve had such a positive experience working with Sovos. And you’ve said it best - Sovos hires talented... More

9. "Corporate Account Executive"

I worked at Sovos full-time

Pros

Great culture and fun place to work.

Cons

Tax is a volatile industry

Dec 10, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

We appreciate your feedback and are so glad that you're enjoying your time at Sovos! The culture and people are the best parts of our company, hands down. You’re right that the tax industry can be... More

"A Great Place to Learn and Grow"

Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Boulder, CO

I worked at Sovos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is no shortage of interesting projects and knowledgeable people to learn from at Sovos. The environment is fast-paced but if you're able to keep up you'll continually find challenging new opportunities that test your skills and teach you new ones.

Cons

With the fast-paced environment comes a set of challenges. Employees that are used to being able to have tons of time to ponder or make decisions by committee will be in for a rude awakening. Everyone is expected to contribute and the company culture doesn't always enable slowpokes.

Nov 9, 2018 – CMO

I’m often asked by new hires what it takes to be successful here at Sovos. And, I give them this advice: “Find interesting business problems and solve them, regardless of your experience, your... More