Spa AT the Madison Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "The best"

Pros

So far so Good, Had an amazing wexperience working with all of you. This is by far the best job I ever had

Cons

Cant think of anything negative as of the moment.

2. "Great space, Great clients loads of fun."

Current Employee - Aesthetics Specialest in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Aesthetics Specialest in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Spa AT the Madison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great working environment! I've been here now for over two years and the experience has been wonderful!
    I've built a solid and loyal clientele that i absolutely adore, and i've learned so much more then i could have expected outside of school. My boss Rena Perrotta has encouraged me to continue my education threw "Dermalogica" (our professional skincare line) "Body contouring" threw body beautiful, and she even set me up with an individual eyelash extension course from witch i have become a certified lash extension specialist! Not to mention flexibility with my own lifestyle outside of my spa life and in it as well.
    We pride ourselves on our boutique style environment and personal working space so our clients may have that one on one relaxation experience. That being said the moments of reunion are a blast too. Everyone knows everyone and sometimes it becomes a party worth attending ;)
    i Love my spa and i love my co-workers i can honestly say i am currently experiencing the highlight of my career. Granted this is only the beginning and i have so much more to look forward too.

Cons

Far from home (New Westminster) but worth every step.

Advice to Management

We have outgrown our space as a thriving business :) We need a bigger spa!

"Allowed me to learn and grow."

Current Employee - Esthetician in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Esthetician in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Spa AT the Madison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Quaint day spa, with great clientele. Lots of opportunity for new esthetician to learn skills and grow professionally. Rena runs a very professional shop, although is very personally involved being such a small business. Sometimes too personal.....not necessarily bad, Lots of high quality product with opportunity to take classes and expand knowledge.

Cons

Not allot of walk by traffic so all clientele is word of mouth or social media driven. Service based industry so very tip dependent, as small business can't afford big salary, however comparable to industry standard.

Advice to Management

More advertising and careful who you hire. Small shop can't afford negative energy as in the past, and clientele in very tight knit community so word gets around fast, can be positive and negative.

"love working here"

Current Employee - Body Specialist in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Body Specialist in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Spa AT the Madison full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked here for the last year and have loved it. All the clients that come in to this spa are so nice and were very understanding when I first started working here and was new in the industry. The owner is very flexible about asking for time off and really helps you in anyway to get your career going. SInce working here I have completed almost all my dermalogica classes, had training with the universal contour wraps and the eurowave. I live all the way in kitsilano but there is simply no where else i would rather work.

Cons

far from where i live but worth it

5. "Boutique Spa with great neighborhood feel"

Pros

Great clientele and all services that are offered at high end spas. Easy to access with free street parking and quality products and services. Opportunity to learn due to the spa carrying higher end products and working with well known product lines. Also allows for possibility to earn commission on products as well as receiving discounts for employees on great product and services. Although spa is quaint, services keep up to date with clients demands for modern services.

Cons

Boutique size spa so space is limited and sometimes there is a client waiting list. Not a lot of walk by traffic.

6. "Great if you like doing everyone else's job, and having them call it "teamwork"."

Former Employee - Esthetician in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Esthetician in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at Spa AT the Madison full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great clientele, convenient parking for free, skin care thraining through Dermalogica and Bio Sculpture.

Cons

Pay isn't very good considering minimum wage is 10$ and you'll be lucky to make 13$. Lazy employees make the new staff do all the work. Owner will expect you to be there half an hour early and stay up to an hour late. Doesn't pay overtime or holiday pay. Will take a percentage of your debit/visa tips.

Advice to Management

Check out labour regulations. And review your staff behaviour and morale.