Space Dynamics Laboratory Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated 8 Aug 2019

Found 63 reviews

4.6
Niel Holt
  1. "This is the best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in North Logan, UT

I have been working at Space Dynamics Laboratory full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work is enjoyable, benefits are fantastic, own personal office, coworkers are helpful. It pushes me to grow and learn constantly, which I love. Overall, just a fantastic place to work. I didn't know that there are places like this in the world to work.

Cons

People are willing to spend time discussing deep technical expertise. I sometimes have a tough time finding people at their desks though when I need to talk things over. Not a big deal though. I just have to try a few times. Also, they are a little understaffed now so workload is sometimes overwhelming, but I know they are trying to hire rapidly to meet the demand.

Advice to Management

My biggest concern is long-term employment. Every job I have worked I have seen layoffs start after a couple of years into it. It has become the norm for me to expect shrinking at every workplace, and hope that it doesn't start here too. I think this place has both diversity and volume of contracts that hopefully things continue for the next decade at the very least.

Space Dynamics Laboratory2019-01-23
  2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Technical Writer

I have been working at Space Dynamics Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros

Important and interesting work. Great team spirit. Supportive management.

Cons

Remote location and small town.

Space Dynamics Laboratory2018-12-27
  3. "Network administrator"

Current Employee - Network Administrator in North Logan, UT

I have been working at Space Dynamics Laboratory full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fantastic place to work. They provide all the tools and resources to learn and grow.

Cons

A lot of relocated offices within campus, but its growth and job security.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

Space Dynamics Laboratory2018-12-08
  4. "Growing Company With Good Culture"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineering Assistant in Logan, UT

I have been working at Space Dynamics Laboratory part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Flexible schedules for students -Student scholars program is excellent for professional development and also offers stipend for four semesters -Great opportunities for students to gain relevant experience

Cons

-If your department gets overloaded, there will be pressure to cut into your school schedule

Space Dynamics Laboratory2018-12-07

"A decent place to work"

Current Employee - Engineer in Logan, UT

I have been working at Space Dynamics Laboratory full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The great things about Space Dynamics Lab are the work we do and most of the people we work with. We work on satellite, airborne, and ground based remote sensing instrumentation, satellites, data processing and display systems,, and other related technologies. We do cool stuff and the work is interesting and engaging most of the time. Most people who work at SDL are great to work with. People are generally good at their...

Cons

The bureaucracy is growing, especially now with SDL rapidly expanding. Set procedures and red tape are increasing and some are necessary, but many are work impediments with little benefit. IT is a good example. It's hard to say how this compares to other similar companies but it has gotten worse over time. Management above program manager level could do much better at understanding what we do and what makes SDL work as...

Space Dynamics Laboratory2018-12-18
  6. "Mechanical Design Student"

Former Employee - Mechanical Design Student in Logan, UT

I worked at Space Dynamics Laboratory part-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of opportunities for research, Opportunities to move within SDL, Good networking opportunities with outside contractors

Cons

Didn't feel like there was much opportunity for increasing in position.

Space Dynamics Laboratory2018-10-03
  7. "SDL cares about your future with 14% retirement"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Logan, UT

I have been working at Space Dynamics Laboratory full-time for less than a year

Pros

At SDL you get to choose your schedule so long as it fits with your project. You don't have to match contributions to your 401A to get 14% of your salary invested.

Cons

Because of the company's huge recent growth many teams have been scattered across different buildings on the campus in order to get seats for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep up the culture, benefits, and compensation. Continue to cultivate a wonderful employee ecosystem, putting people before contracts, prestige, or projects.

Space Dynamics Laboratory2018-08-22
  8. "Best job i have ever had"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Logan, UT

I have been working at Space Dynamics Laboratory full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Wonderful culture, interesting work, never bored, fast-paced environment, great teamwork.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Space Dynamics Laboratory2018-07-12
  9. "Marketing/Communications Student"

Current Employee - Marketing Communications Intern in Logan, UT

I have been working at Space Dynamics Laboratory part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment, cool projects, flexible student schedule, and making a difference.

Cons

I have nothing to complain about. I love it here.

Space Dynamics Laboratory2018-06-01
  10. "SDL"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in North Logan, UT

I worked at Space Dynamics Laboratory part-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of exciting projects in technology

Cons

Some programs get cancelled or postponed, which can leave you without a job.

Space Dynamics Laboratory2018-02-14