Space Dynamics Laboratory Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 27, 2019

Found 10 reviews

4.3
Niel Holt
  1. "Excellent pay and flexible Hours; Not much personal growth"

Current Employee - Software Engineer Assistant in North Logan, UT

I have been working at Space Dynamics Laboratory part-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is very good for the Logan area. They offer very flexible hours for student employees- your classes will always come first as long as you can still get your job done. Student employees are treated like adults and respected, and most student projects are meaningful instead of time sinks. They tend to hire student employees full-time after they graduate.

Cons

Very lonely sometimes. Most days nobody would notice if I didn't show up. Sometimes it feels like they stick me on projects that don't actually need me- if I don't report for weeks, nobody notices. It's much better than being laid off, but I'd rather be doing something productive.

Advice to Management

Make the company organization more clear. The branch and project acronyms are very confusing and I'm not always clear on who I report to or should ask for more work.

Space Dynamics Laboratory2019-02-27
  2. "Great engineers and fun projects but the culture was a little stifling"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Logan, UT

I worked at Space Dynamics Laboratory for less than a year

Pros

They work on some really cool military and civil projects. Also the surrounding countryside is beautiful. For the most part everyone I interacted was very nice. Cost of living is very low

Cons

Lots of beauracracy. If you dont have a a security clearance you wont really have any idea what's going on. I had some pretty bad experiences with their hr department. The town of Logan Utah where sdl is based is extremely monocultural. Pay was not great either

Space Dynamics Laboratory2019-04-28
  3. "SDL cares about your future with 14% retirement"

I have been working at Space Dynamics Laboratory full-time for less than a year

Pros

At SDL you get to choose your schedule so long as it fits with your project. You don't have to match contributions to your 401A to get 14% of your salary invested.

Cons

Because of the company's huge recent growth many teams have been scattered across different buildings on the campus in order to get seats for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep up the culture, benefits, and compensation. Continue to cultivate a wonderful employee ecosystem, putting people before contracts, prestige, or projects.

Space Dynamics Laboratory2018-08-22
  4. "Space Dynamics has a great work environment"

Current Employee - Student Software Engineer in Logan, UT

I have been working at Space Dynamics Laboratory part-time for more than a year

Pros

Space Dynamics is a great place to work. The benefits are stellar and the company culture is very nice. It has never been stressful and I very rarely have to stay late at work.

Cons

Pay is not the best.

Space Dynamics Laboratory2017-11-08
  5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Space Dynamics Laboratory full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great place to work and you can't beat the location or culture at SDL.

Cons

Never a dull moment and employees are always kept very busy.

Space Dynamics Laboratory2017-07-08

"The best option you have"

Former Employee - Junior Software Engineer in Logan, UT

I worked at Space Dynamics Laboratory part-time for more than a year

Pros

It's close to campus They'll work with your class schedule Competitive pay Low pressure environment Lots of people to associate and make friends with Lots of extra-curricular activities like "Lunch'n'Learn"s and sports during the lunch hour

Cons

Don't value students as much as full-timers. Despite doing the same work, we were treated as less than full-timers. Very little guidance. There was always help if you need it, but don't expect anything if you don't ask. Sometimes a bunch of students would go to a scheduled meeting to have no supervisors show up. A lot of the work is done in new areas where there is very little knowledge on the subject and therefore...

Advice to Management

All I ask is that you make your students and the work they do feel valued

Space Dynamics Laboratory2017-06-28
  7. "Software Engineering Intern"

Current Employee - Student Software Engineer in Logan, UT

I have been working at Space Dynamics Laboratory

Pros

- Amazing people to work with - Interns/students often given full time opportunities - Pay is decent

Cons

- No PTO for interns and no real structure for taking time off.

Advice to Management

- Provide a structure for students asking time off.

Space Dynamics Laboratory2016-10-16
  8. "Good employer"

I have been working at Space Dynamics Laboratory full-time for less than a year

Pros

Probably one of the best employers in the Logan area. Good benefits and a good atmosphere. I would recommend this job to any software engineer.

Cons

Most programs in the company are funded through government funding, meaning that changes in federal spending on defense or NASA may impact job availability. Also, the compensation and benefits are great for Logan, UT, but a bit lower than higher populated areas.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great environment. Keep doing the activities involving families. There is little to be said apart from that.

Space Dynamics Laboratory2016-09-15

"Software Engineer"

I have been working at Space Dynamics Laboratory for more than 8 years

Pros

Awesome projects and tasks. Nothing is ever the same from day to day. Each project gives the chance to wear a different hat and learn new things. Great deal of responsibility and autonomy is given to engineers to accomplish given tasks.

Cons

Small company with limited mobility. Can become pigeon holed in classified programs. Very hard for this company to attract the right talent for the given tasks.

Advice to Management

Many folks stay at SDL because of the location in Cache Valley, and SDL has clearly been the best game in town. The world and connectivity is paradigm changing. That makes living here possible while working (perhaps virtually) somewhere else. It may be hard for SDL to continue to be the best game in town.

Space Dynamics Laboratory2016-07-12

"Space Dynamics Software Engineer"

I have been working at Space Dynamics Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros

They play to your strengths. They fight to keep you working for them, and will do what they can to make your work environment meet your needs. The benefits are amazing since SDL is affiliated both with USU as a research foundation and the government.

Cons

Most of the projects require government clearance so you have to qualify for that and then go through the motions to get it. It can be unnerving working for government contracted work, and sometimes the rigid, bureaucratic nature of the environment can stifle work productivity. Compensation isn't the greatest.

Advice to Management

Management hasn't been as involved in my work experience as I might have liked, and therefore engineer and program managers were on different pages many times. It isn't easy when projects dominate your time, but make sure to never be more than a week un-involved in a project?

Space Dynamics Laboratory2015-07-15