Space Dynamics Laboratory "sdl" Reviews | Glassdoor

Space Dynamics Laboratory Employee Reviews about "sdl"

Updated Aug 8, 2019

Found 63 reviews

4.6
Niel Holt
Pros
  • "At SDL you get to choose your schedule so long as it fits with your project(in 8 reviews)

• "Flexible work environment and a ver positive culture(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "The town of Logan Utah where sdl is based is extremely monocultural(in 5 reviews)

• "Small company with limited mobility(in 3 reviews)

Reviews about "sdl"

Return to all Reviews

"A decent place to work"

Current Employee - Engineer in Logan, UT

I have been working at Space Dynamics Laboratory full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The great things about Space Dynamics Lab are the work we do and most of the people we work with. We work on satellite, airborne, and ground based remote sensing instrumentation, satellites, data processing and display systems,, and other related technologies. We do cool stuff and the work is interesting and engaging most of the time. Most people who work at SDL are great to work with. People are generally good at their...

Cons

The bureaucracy is growing, especially now with SDL rapidly expanding. Set procedures and red tape are increasing and some are necessary, but many are work impediments with little benefit. IT is a good example. It's hard to say how this compares to other similar companies but it has gotten worse over time. Management above program manager level could do much better at understanding...

Space Dynamics Laboratory2018-12-18
  2. "Mechanical Design Student"

Former Employee - Mechanical Design Student in Logan, UT

I worked at Space Dynamics Laboratory part-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of opportunities for research, Opportunities to move within SDL, Good networking opportunities with outside contractors

Cons

Didn't feel like there was much opportunity for increasing in position.

Space Dynamics Laboratory2018-10-03
  3. "SDL cares about your future with 14% retirement"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Logan, UT

I have been working at Space Dynamics Laboratory full-time for less than a year

Pros

At SDL you get to choose your schedule so long as it fits with your project. You don't have to match contributions to your 401A to get 14% of your salary invested.

Cons

Because of the company's huge recent growth many teams have been scattered across different buildings on the campus in order to get seats for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep up the culture, benefits, and compensation. Continue to cultivate a wonderful employee ecosystem, putting people before contracts, prestige, or projects.

Space Dynamics Laboratory2018-08-22
  4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Space Dynamics Laboratory full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great place to work and you can't beat the location or culture at SDL.

Cons

Never a dull moment and employees are always kept very busy.

Space Dynamics Laboratory2017-07-08
  5. "Incredible Opportunity For Students"

I have been working at Space Dynamics Laboratory part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people and professional work environment. Opportunity to learn and gain a broader perspective of the industry is highly encouraged. Depending on what your position is, there is a great chance of moving into higher positions throughout the company. Logan is a great place to live, work, and raise a family.

Cons

I wouldn't necessarily say there are any cons, but every company can improve. Overall SDL is a great place to work!

Space Dynamics Laboratory2016-11-08

"Space Dynamics Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Logan, UT

I have been working at Space Dynamics Laboratory full-time for more than a year

Pros

They play to your strengths. They fight to keep you working for them, and will do what they can to make your work environment meet your needs. The benefits are amazing since SDL is affiliated both with USU as a research foundation and the government.

Cons

Most of the projects require government clearance so you have to qualify for that and then go through the motions to get it. It can be unnerving working for government contracted work, and sometimes the rigid, bureaucratic nature of the environment can stifle work productivity. Compensation isn't the greatest.

Advice to Management

Management hasn't been as involved in my work experience as I might have liked, and therefore engineer and program managers were on different pages many times. It isn't easy when projects dominate your time, but make sure to never be more than a week un-involved in a project?

Space Dynamics Laboratory2015-07-15

"Great place to work as a student"

Current Employee - Student Engineer in Logan, UT

I have been working at Space Dynamics Laboratory

Pros

I was employed as a student while attending USU, and I loved working at SDL. I was given assignments and tasks that were actually meaningful and needed, and my manager was always willing to help when I wasn't sure how to complete/do a task.

Cons

Having to charge time between several programs in the company can be a nuisance. Not all student positions are as awesome as the one I got. There wasn't much opportunity at the time to move from a student position to a full time position (bad timing maybe?)

Space Dynamics Laboratory2015-06-09

"A Good, If Small, Company"

I worked at Space Dynamics Laboratory full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company leadership was fairly laid-back whenever I interacted with them. SDL, and its sponsoring organization, USURF, is involved in some very interesting projects. They host the SmallSat Conference every year in Logan, Utah. It's a VERY interesting and fun event. SDL makes sure visitors are taken care of. Same for the Calibration Conference (CalCon). And they like their own people attending these events, too....

Cons

It's a small company, so there's not much room for professional growth. If employees work off-site, there's little effort by company management to stay in touch. Sometimes this manifests in strained relationships between off-site employees and Utah management. This same disconnect can also happen with other SDL departments.

Advice to Management

Like in any organization, work on the communications. Especially with those employees who are off-site.

Space Dynamics Laboratory2014-03-07
  9. "Great place to work as a student"

I worked at Space Dynamics Laboratory

Pros

Great experience for students to work on space flight hardware. Fun projects with real meaning. Good people work there.

Cons

Lately management has lost focus on employees. Government spending and space in general is losing funding and so goes sdl.

Advice to Management

Focus on core specialties and don't try and open new branches anymore.

Space Dynamics Laboratory2013-04-15