SpaceX Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

Updated October 17, 2017

Los Angeles, CA Area

4.5

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Day to day work is fast paced and dynamic as a material planner (in 137 reviews)

• Working at SpaceX was an exciting transition to real engineering (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance can be a challenge (in 197 reviews)

• Long hours but there is definitely an active change to reduce (in 314 reviews)

1. "Literally a Dream Job"

Current Employee - Material Flow Planner in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Material Flow Planner in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is not a lot of red-tape to prevent you from getting actual work done. Everyone here is trusted to make smart decisions so we spend time focusing on the goal rather than getting hung up on the little things. Everyone here is approachable and relaxed so it makes the workplace feel like somewhere you actually want to be every day.

So many Perks:
    Frozen Yogurt Bar
    Coffee Bar
    Unlimited Drinks
    Valet Parking
    Subsidised Lunch

Cons

The output of every person seems like 2-3 times more than anywhere I've ever worked. Partially because it is expected and partially because everyone loves what they do.

"Roller Coaster Weee!!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're looking for work with meaning then it probably doesn't get better than SpaceX. You're lucky to be working at one of the only companies really shaking up the industry. We don't just talk big, we make it happen. Lots of people are super driven here.

If you're highly motivated and ambitious then you can accomplish a lot at SpaceX. No one is going to stop you, there's way too much work to do.

Cons

With so many highly passionate, driven people, tensions often run high. People will defend their points of view, you'll defend yours, and it's tough keeping your cool. Picking which battles to fight and which to let go. The overall mission does help us keep perspective, but on a personal level it is non-stop ups and downs. You watch people hold on until they get fed up and flung off.

Also people work a lot here. Not because they have to, but because they want to. Space is cool, being a part of it is cool. But it's easy to overwork yourself without knowing it. This plus the above can lead to quick burnout. Personally I'm continually riding the edge of what I can handle, but I'm driven to a fault, that's the kind of people here.

Advice to Management

Small perks go a long way. Team building is always important. Keep hiring the best people. Avoid micro-management. Make sure managers are experts of what they are managing. Be in tune with the current stress level of your people.

3. "Aspire to Inspire"

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have had the fortune of working here at SpaceX for close to a year now. From the moment I stepped onto the production floor, I was sold. I felt the energy and excitement similar to watching the first F9 rocket land. Wall to wall all you see is different parts of the rocket being built and moved from one section to the next.
    One of the greatest benefits aside from all the free coffee, yogurt, soda and amazing food, is how accessible your leadership is. I am able to meet with my team lead often and be set up for success in every way. I am able to constantly learn and be challenged in ways I have never before been in my career. The work environment is amazing, we are inspired shoot for the stars and looking to land on Mars! Overall you are encouraged to work hard, learn a lot, and grow as a person and employee.

Cons

The work life balance at times can be difficult to juggle, but that is only during high volume seasons.

"Security Officer"

Current Employee - Security Officer in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mission, benefits, people are top notch! Everyone here is working towards the same goal.

Cons

Requires dedication and ability to adjust to intense atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Ensure staff is getting enough down time to refresh.

"I never want to work anywhere else"

Current Employee - Engineer in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is highly interesting. The work is also incredibly rewarding because (a) you see it actually fly in a timely manner and (b) you know you are dramatically changing the world for the better.

Years in I still find myself awestruck when I walk past a rocket being assembled on my way to lunch, or when I sit in the control room and see something I made do its thing in space. Watching a successful launch and landing is spectacular - it replaces the feelings of nervousness and excitement I used to get watching college football games, except now the outcome actually matters. It feels great to work your butt off, see it succeed, and then celebrate with your co-workers. Everyone believes in the company (it would be hard not to at this point) and it shows. It's also crazy to imagine that when the first human steps on another planet it will most likely be my designs that helped get them there.

The company is small enough that you are not a cog in a wheel. I may have one of the more interesting jobs, but on a daily basis my work varies from sketching up high level designs to writing simulations to working hands-on with flight hardware that needs to be integrated tomorrow.

It's hard to put this one into words, but there is a kind of freedom to look at the big picture and do things the way you think they should be done without being overly constrained by what worked in the past, while still being given the systems and tools and support you need to ensure a successful outcome.

Cons

It's difficult to plan vacations because the launch schedule is always in flux, and sometimes you have to cancel plans. Also, sometimes you need to sprint so hard you can't even find time to do laundry.

The rate of turnover probably makes things harder than they need to be.

6. "Meaningful Work and Freedom to Do It"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at SpaceX full-time

Pros

At SpaceX, you'll be able to jump on extraordinary projects fresh out of college. They put a lot of work in finding top talent, so once you get invited to join the team, they trust that you're ready to start designing and building truly revolutionary tech.

Cons

If you don't have a Type A personality, it'd be a pretty stressful environment. You definitely need to be passionate about the mission and your work in order to be successful. With that said, the "crazy hours" aren't nearly as long as a lot of people think.

Advice to Management

Please give all employees a free ticket to Mars.

7. "Living the dream"

Current Employee - Sen Director in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Sen Director in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing leadership and corporate vision

Cons

Sometimes it can be stressful

Advice to Management

More!

8. "Unlimited Opportunity to Contribute"

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You're surrounded by peers whose day to day effort is a constant reminder to step up your game. If you're at all attentive to what's going on around you, you can't help but be driven to improvement. This is not the place where you cruise along at the top of the pile. The goals, the excitement, the accountability ... they're all shared experiences among the team. While the effort to reach each milestone towards the company mission is tough, we're actually making progress faster than any other competitor in the market. The compensation is reasonable and the stock options are awesome. Highly rated employees (annual reviews) are often awarded additional stock options for their efforts.

Cons

There isn't a career path that you don't create yourself. So, for many that doesn't sound very appealing. However, think it over. As much of a con that you may consider it, you're also in control. You can easily convert this con into a pro. Work life balance truly sucks. If you've got a significant other, you'd better make sure that they are on-board with this job as it's going to be a time suck. You simply cannot put yourself on cruise control. Our goals are not insignificant, so the majority of them are not yet realized. This means that every success is followed by the next need on the path to achieving the company mission. Get used to that idea and prepare yourself to look at a series of achievement on the way to an over-arching goal.

9. "Best company I have ever worked for"

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

By far the best company I have worked for (I have worked for Boeing, GE, and many smaller ones in between). The atmosphere in this place is something else, and working among so many smart people is incredible and humbling. Every day feels like I'm building the future AND I'm working for a futuristic company. Wouldn't change it for the world.

Cons

Definitely require a lot of you, but the hours aren't as bad as people make it seem. Plus, when you do work long hours they accommodate very well with subsidized meals and free yogurt and ice cream and coffee and cookies....the list goes on.

Advice to Management

Drive a better work/life balance. My current manager does and it makes all the difference. All other managers should as well.

10. "This is what we all expected after college"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at SpaceX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SpaceX is the epitome of a fast paced, all-star design team, writ large. I have been a part of many exciting projects in my career, but never have I seen that tight knit, get it done, agile design culture expand to every corner of the business. Through a process of creative destructive from the bottom up, progress is made every day toward the key goal of reaching Mars.

Cons

Learning curve is steep like on any aerospace project. Also, while I have seen / heard the rumors of people working 24/7, in reality, its not at the feared levels. Expect to work hard and fast

Advice to Management

Are we there yet? (Mars)

Showing 764 of 1,303 reviews