Span Construction Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
King Husein, P.E.
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great mission, awful execution"

Former Employee - Case Manager in South Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Case Manager in South Boston, MA

I worked at Span Construction full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very laid back environment and some staff members are very very helpful

Cons

Promotions are almost non-existent, funding is almost solely based on grants, supervisors are not competent in the slightest (watching netflix during all work hours, yes, all 8 hours, making sexual comments, and overall defending other co-workers because they are friends)
    You have no real grasp on what is happening with staff and they don't do much to help it out

Advice to Management

Be more fair to staff and maybe then you'll be able to have better staff retention.

2. "An Employer for the Short-Term"

I worked at Span Construction full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly colleagues and staff. Small town feel, not a high pressure, fast-paced, or stressful working environment.

Cons

The management is pretty tight-knit so opportunities for advancement and fringe benefits are rare to non-existent if you are not in management or the inner circle they have there. Management is well taken care of with a car allowance, a company credit card, a fuel card, and other fringe benefits. I think this created a company culture where the needs of management were prioritized over the non-management staff. For instance, while I was there I needed a new laptop so my manager gave me his old one and he ordered the new one for himself even though laptop use was much heavier in my position. The company culture drove this kind of behavior (management gets the best and newest). The vacation and sick leave benefits could have been better also.

I would recommend the company as a good stepping stone to get some experience, but in time you will probably find that you need to move on if you want to advance your career, get a competitive salary, benefits, etc. It was a good stepping stone for me.

Advice to Management

The vacation and sick leave benefits/policy needs to be revised and made more competitive with similar companies. If they want to retain staff, there needs to be a change in the management-centered culture they have there. They need to offer some attractive benefits to the staff and a career advancement path that employees can pursue and make a long-term commitment to the company.