Spansion Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Spansion President, CEO, and Director John H. Kispert
John H. Kispert

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good place to work with lots of good people; laid back as most places in Austin are (in 11 reviews)

• Great team working across all departments (onshore and offshore) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • In bankruptcy the executive team was replaced with great motivated members (in 6 reviews)

1. "It was OK"

Pros

Pay was pretty good and I enjoyed some of my coworkers

Cons

I was stuck between a battle between to companies splitting

"The retirement party's bout to start en-mass, thanks to Cypress merger. The only hope for those poor souls who remain..."

Former Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Spansion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Long-term outlook much improved, with established automotive customer base in the US and Japan. Financials holding strong, post bankruptcy. If you like to work in an emaciated-lean company, this is your haven.
    100% executive focus on performance of the financials and market perception of the company.

Cons

A culture of abuse, disrespect and outright ugly middle-management behavior, appallingly bad.
    Many of the most effective cost savings tactics have been in employee benefits, compensation and forced vacations for employees in manufacturing.

Advice to Management

Do your best to pretend you respect your people. You clearly do not but you can fake it until your retirement party, which is clearly the priority of this team, even before the stock took off. You boys need to be put into a time out.

3. "Death to Spansion"

Former Employee - Product Engineer II in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Product Engineer II in Austin, TX

I worked at Spansion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

No Pros left.. The "people first, products and profit will follow!" culture which Jerry Sanders developed for years has been snuffed out.

Cons

No one left except losers and control freaks. No employee incentives plus ENDLESS penny wise pound foolish cuts = imminent failure.

Advice to Management

Give up. The key to earning wealth is for everyone else to make a lot of money too.

4. "Horrible company to work for."

Former Employee - Human Resource Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resource Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Spansion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are nice, campus is clean.

Cons

Management overall is horrible, especially around finance and HR.

"A dying company with NO plans for expanding in the US"

Current Employee - Insignificant Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Insignificant Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spansion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, for my position, is very good.

Cons

Very dangerous, outdated, factory. Most, if not all, safety protocols are ignored, or bypassed. It's all about manufacturing. Doesn't care about safety or well being of employees. I know people who have lost parts of fingers, had hands crushed, exposed to acids, and more. Management doesn't even ask them if they are ok. They are only concerned with trying to cover their own butts. They immediately conduct a" 5 why" investigation. On one occasion a person was hurt, and a 5 why investigation was performed. Years later the machine still has interlocks bypassed, undocumented changes, outdated specs, broken panels that protect from acid exposure, and I could go on.

Safety is for filling out documentation to provide the illusion of safe working environment to customers and government regulators.

Most demeaning place I've ever worked. It is a good ole boy place where The "click" is promoted. In my position people have Bachelors of Science degrees, licenses, certifications, ex-military, patents, and more. Some are promoted without ANY prior school, experience, or professional training. Needless to say we are treated like we are cashiers at a hotdog stand. NO RESPECT! Everyone is looked upon as the person with no professional training. In reality, many people in this situation have more experience, and school than management. So, I guess the idea is to demean and marginalized others to keep themselves on top.

Also, this place seems to encourage trash talking. People scoff, roll eyes, yell, make fun of you in meetings. It's really unbelievable! Very disappointing when you consider this is a " high tech" semiconductor company.

Advice to Management

Get it together before someone is killed. You surely don't want that?!?!?

"Worst company I have ever worked for"

Current Contractor - IT Project Manager
    Current Contractor - IT Project Manager

I have been working at Spansion as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Pros - Cant thing of any

Cons

Regular lay offs with a long trail of dead bodies. Be extremely cautious of any promises or incentives made to try to get you to sign up. Everyone is protecting their own interest versus making good choices in order to prevent from being the next to go.

Advice to Management

Change the corporate culture

"A disappointing, dishonest and exploitative employer"

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Spansion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- A selection of on-line training courses are available on the company intranet
    - Colleagues at the same or lower level in the company hierarchy are generally helpful
    - Spansion is a fast-moving company and has interesting technology to work on

Cons

- Continual and regular (every 18 months) lay-offs make this company a poor career choice. This leads to a culture of everyone being fearful to make important decisions, in case they are the next to be made redundant.
    - For a technology company, investment in engineering and supporting the technical growth of engineering staff comes as an afterthought. Spansion is driven by a short-term desire to achieve quarterly fiscal targets, and little else. Long-range, future-orientated planning is non-existent.
    - Be extremely cautious and wary of any promises or incentives made to try to get you to 'sign-up' during the interview process.

Advice to Management

Put the interests of the company before your own!

"lacks direction, still carries the baggage of its AMD days"

I worked at Spansion full-time

Pros

I cannot think of a single pro

Cons

- very low compensation
    - no career growth
    - too much politics, everybody just wants to watch out for their own fiefdoms
    - managers are appointed by seniority, not ability to 'manage'

9. "I didn't enjoy working for this company"

Former Employee - Chemist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Chemist in Austin, TX

I worked at Spansion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have not Pros for this company

Cons

They don't seem to run their business smartly

10. "Good place to start but no upward mobility opportunities."

Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spansion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is plenty to be happy about at Spansion from a business performance perspective. With positive cash flow for consecutive quarters, it is clear that the executive team (post bankruptcy) know what they are doing, however heartless and greedy they have been while doing it.

Cons

The manufacturing facility is aging and so is the management. There are no opportunities for growth or career progression, as the mid-management team has been set in stone for over a decade. Idle mid-"managers" do a poor job of rewarding excellence and refuse to manage out poor performers.

Advice to Management

Clean house