Spansion Reviews | Glassdoor

Spansion Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good place to work with lots of good people; laid back as most places in Austin are (in 11 reviews)

• Great team working across all departments (onshore and offshore) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • In bankruptcy the executive team was replaced with great motivated members (in 6 reviews)

"Change is in the air"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spansion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I work with some of the best, smartest, most capable people I've met in my working life. The current executive management has taken a struggling company and made it a lean, efficient and thriving entity. My middle management is fair, hard working, and works wonders with very limited resources.

Cons

We're in the midst of being acquired by another company which will result in a shake up of executive and middle management. I'm afraid the management style is about to revert back to what it was after spinning off of AMD, which was out-dated and not employee focused. I found it to be an unhappy and unhealthy working environment back then.

Advice to Management

Don't ruin the company with archaic attitudes towards employees and the workplace. Learn what it takes to retain talent in the modern workplace, empower people to achieve excellence and recognize their accomplishments.

2. "It's an OK company to work for but they pay new hires better than long-term employees"

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spansion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Insurance is about the only good thing anymore

Cons

Each individual is doing the work of 4 people and more is being asked from them every quarter. Cost cutting has gotten ridiculous with the age of the equipment - it has to be fixed or replaced

Advice to Management

Recognize people who have stuck it out all these years, went to school and got the degree that was asked of them and attended all classes given by the company and adhered to their rules

3. "Could be better!"

Pros

Smart Management, good people, and pay is okay.

Cons

Lack of resources, very process oriented, and very little to no internal growth opportunities

4. "Great"

Former Employee - Senior Product Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Product Engineer

I worked at Spansion full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to relax. Good culture. Not work pressure

Cons

Did get much from working there...

5. "It is ok company"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Spansion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Peoples working here are friendly

Cons

there are many changes in last several years

Advice to Management

n/a

"Fantastic for very many years but too many layoffs"

Former Employee - Module Shift Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Module Shift Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Spansion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to work with lots of good people; laid back as most places in Austin are. Mature systems in a mature fab and everything is in full production mode. Lots of very intelligent, creative engineering talent here. Everybody there knows their job and do it exceptionally well. CEO did a remarkable job post bankruptcy especially keeping the company profitable.

Cons

Echo what somebody else said about little to no opportunities for growth in management specifically. Every upper level manager has been there for several years making it difficult for anybody to take those positions. Aging work force although not sure if that's a bad thing. Bonuses were an interesting exercise in futility. There didn't seem to be much visibility to what exactly needed to be done to get them. Forced distribution for employee ranking (quarterly and annually), while a common thing for most companies, didn't make much sense for a company that already had an extremely lean work force. They've gutted so many employees that most of the "low performers" were really average performers that just got screwed by the idea that a company has to have 10-15% of the employees be ranked into the lowest performance tier.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the forced distribution. There's not much point in gutting the company any more. Bring in and mentor younger talent.

7. "If you can make your manager happy, you get promoted quickly and paid well."

Current Employee - Department Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Spansion full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People are very nice here.
    Pay is good for Sr. level and above.

Cons

Stressful, no work life balance. A lot of politics. CEO seems don't care about his employees, too many cuts. High turn-over.

Advice to Management

People are the most valuable assets of a company. That's the reason why a lot of startups do well at the begining, then fall apart when the top management gets greedier and greddier.

8. "Great until the Chapter 11"

I have been working at Spansion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary, CEO is excellent

Cons

hard to lose so many friends

Advice to Management

Don't forget about the people side of things - new products are cool, but they are made by your people

9. "Pay is good but management is falling apart"

Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst - I in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Support Analyst - I in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spansion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay makes it work going to work, the people that work with you and in the FAB are friendly enough. The career options are great if you stick around long enough. Some of the employees have been here 30 years, and if you want it bad enough you can get to where you would like to go.

Cons

Everyone is just friendly, no one speaks too much, they act like ther're abused animals that cower at the first sign on human interaction. My direct supervisor is spineless and does not find it necessary to stick up for our team.

Advice to Management

Give better accolades when they are deserved, care for the people that work for you, and if you don't understand the job your employees do, don't assume to tell them how to do it. The disconnect between the employees on the lower levels are substantially greater than anywhere I would like to work.

10. "engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Spansion full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

the company is employee friendly

Cons

In a wrong market.
    not enough technology advantage over competitors