Spansion Reviews | Glassdoor

Spansion Reviews

Updated May 4, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good place to work with lots of good people; laid back as most places in Austin are (in 11 reviews)

• Great team working across all departments (onshore and offshore) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • In bankruptcy the executive team was replaced with great motivated members (in 6 reviews)

"The retirement party's bout to start en-mass, thanks to Cypress merger. The only hope for those poor souls who remain..."

Former Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Manufacturing Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Spansion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Long-term outlook much improved, with established automotive customer base in the US and Japan. Financials holding strong, post bankruptcy. If you like to work in an emaciated-lean company, this is your haven.
    100% executive focus on performance of the financials and market perception of the company.

Cons

A culture of abuse, disrespect and outright ugly middle-management behavior, appallingly bad.
    Many of the most effective cost savings tactics have been in employee benefits, compensation and forced vacations for employees in manufacturing.

Advice to Management

Do your best to pretend you respect your people. You clearly do not but you can fake it until your retirement party, which is clearly the priority of this team, even before the stock took off. You boys need to be put into a time out.

2. "Great place to work. Overall you can expect to enjoy the balance work life between family and office."

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Spansion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Conducive working environment. Great team working across all departments (onshore and offshore).

Cons

The cafeteria food can be further improve

3. "Great, easy-going culture and environment in IT."

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spansion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Spansion Austin has a relatively laid back and quiet atmosphere with little micromanagement. As long as you work hard and provide value then you will be valued by coworkers and management.
    Just based on my experience, the medical/dental benefits are top-notch (more about other benefits at the end of my pros)
    All levels of management have made efforts to make me feel welcome and valued.
    I have the freedom to accomplish my goals in the most efficient and effective ways that I deem appropriate.
    They have a great campus with a pretty good fitness center. There are some good scenic walking/jogging trails as well as a basketball court.
    Campus is within 10-15 minutes of downtown Austin.
    Other benefits (these will obviously change for the worse or better post-merger):
    Generous employee stock purchase plan is offered
    Company matches 50% 401k contributions up to 6% of annual salary.
    Physical activity program allows you to drastically reduce your portion of the premiums for medical insurance (takes some effort, but that's the point).

Cons

I'm still giving 5 stars because I am judging this employer as it compares to my past employers (there will ALWAYS be cons regardless of who you work for). These are the cons, from most concerning to least:
    - Saw an opportunity for long-term and stable employment with this company and even considered relocating my residence closer. In December, a merger was announced that may jeopardize employment in the first part of this year. Due to all of the obvious factors that cannot even be foreseen by exec management, this tends to put one on edge.
    - Took a rather significant salary cut (almost $1000/month) when I began, because a decent quarterly bonus package was advertised which would have offset the reduction in salary (or would have actually increased my salary if it ever had come to fruition). There have been no bonuses, even though the stock prices have doubled within the past six months. Regardless of this, the salaries (for IT) seem to fall within an acceptable market range.

Advice to Management

You guys are doing a good job with what you have to work with. Spansion IT is lean, effective, and efficient. The only advice I have is something that you are probably already doing... keeping us as informed as possible about the impact the merger will have on your employees.

4. "Good company, but could be better"

I have been working at Spansion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work, company has plenty of products and technologies, fab seems to have a long-term plan to be filled, co-workers are typically great to work with, bosses typically pretty flexible

Cons

review system is standard carrot and stick mentality no matter what you do, switched from vacation to PTO (meaning includes sick time now), people have been here long time, so not much room for lateral or upward moves, stressful sometimes, like other companies in industry, layoffs seem to occur every few years

Advice to Management

dump the review system for something more modern and motivating, make quarterly bonuses a flat bonus not another review of people, improve benefits

5. "Mixed feelings about Spansion."

Pros

Had a good manager. Various systems and processes in place. Promote continuous improvement. Some good legacy from AMD.

Cons

Mid management too worry about themselves and suck up to the upper management. Constant pressure on cost reduction. Relatively high turnover rate. No internal transfer opportunities.

Advice to Management

Good luck with the merger with Cypress.

"Returning employee with total of 17 years of service"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff Test Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff Test Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Spansion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance. Friendly co-workers and a lot to learn if you want to. Good Sonic Boom Wellnes program for employees

Cons

The annual target profit sharing percentage is never achieved due to many management factors, normally you can get from 70% to 80% of the target.

Advice to Management

Every employee should get the full target profit percentage allocated by the company for the quarter

"Change is in the air"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spansion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I work with some of the best, smartest, most capable people I've met in my working life. The current executive management has taken a struggling company and made it a lean, efficient and thriving entity. My middle management is fair, hard working, and works wonders with very limited resources.

Cons

We're in the midst of being acquired by another company which will result in a shake up of executive and middle management. I'm afraid the management style is about to revert back to what it was after spinning off of AMD, which was out-dated and not employee focused. I found it to be an unhappy and unhealthy working environment back then.

Advice to Management

Don't ruin the company with archaic attitudes towards employees and the workplace. Learn what it takes to retain talent in the modern workplace, empower people to achieve excellence and recognize their accomplishments.

8. "Decent place to work with decent pay"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Austin, TX

I worked at Spansion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay was pretty good set hours.

Cons

Much of the middle management needs to step aside and make room for some younger and smarter people.

9. "Tech Support Analyst"

Pros

Benefits were good. Fast paced environment. Many opportunities if individual is eager to learn.

Cons

People had no social skills. Very intense and micro managed. Job turn over high. No job stability. Saw many being cut so others would benefit.

Advice to Management

Need to allow workers to grow with job by allowing then to cross train when seeking others advanced opportunities. Less micro manage and more collaboration rather than segregating.

10. "Death to Spansion"

Former Employee - Product Engineer II in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Product Engineer II in Austin, TX

I worked at Spansion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

No Pros left.. The "people first, products and profit will follow!" culture which Jerry Sanders developed for years has been snuffed out.

Cons

No one left except losers and control freaks. No employee incentives plus ENDLESS penny wise pound foolish cuts = imminent failure.

Advice to Management

Give up. The key to earning wealth is for everyone else to make a lot of money too.