Spansion Reviews | Glassdoor

Spansion Reviews

Updated May 4, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good place to work with lots of good people; laid back as most places in Austin are (in 11 reviews)

• Great team working across all departments (onshore and offshore) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • In bankruptcy the executive team was replaced with great motivated members (in 6 reviews)

1. "A company culture that promotes respect and cooperation."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Spansion full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance. Constantly innovating technology. Very focused on customer satisfaction. Always willing to go the extra mile.

Cons

Very slow to change the things that don't work. Lots of resistance from old timers. Does not seen to have consequences for bad actions or decision.

Advice to Management

The reality on the ground seems very different from what upper management sees. Like they are sheltered from the truth. Need more honest middle managers.

2. "Horrible company to work for."

Former Employee - Human Resource Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resource Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Spansion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers are nice, campus is clean.

Cons

Management overall is horrible, especially around finance and HR.

3. "It's an OK company to work for but they pay new hires better than long-term employees"

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spansion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Insurance is about the only good thing anymore

Cons

Each individual is doing the work of 4 people and more is being asked from them every quarter. Cost cutting has gotten ridiculous with the age of the equipment - it has to be fixed or replaced

Advice to Management

Recognize people who have stuck it out all these years, went to school and got the degree that was asked of them and attended all classes given by the company and adhered to their rules

4. "Could be better!"

Pros

Smart Management, good people, and pay is okay.

Cons

Lack of resources, very process oriented, and very little to no internal growth opportunities

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spansion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborative coworkers, good pay, reasonable expectations, excellent manager. I am allowed to do my job without much meddling from others. There is a high level of trust. Likewise, I trust my managers to do what's right.

Cons

Honestly, not much. I have held a number of jobs in this industry. I guess the only thing I can say is less than stellar HR, seems like it's outsourced, but the limited contact I have with HR, this is no big deal. We no longer have mandated time off and that's good.

Advice to Management

Keep focus on what we do well

6. "Great"

Former Employee - Senior Product Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Product Engineer

I worked at Spansion full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to relax. Good culture. Not work pressure

Cons

Did get much from working there...

7. "It is ok company"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Spansion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Peoples working here are friendly

Cons

there are many changes in last several years

Advice to Management

n/a

"A dying company with NO plans for expanding in the US"

Current Employee - Insignificant Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Insignificant Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spansion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, for my position, is very good.

Cons

Very dangerous, outdated, factory. Most, if not all, safety protocols are ignored, or bypassed. It's all about manufacturing. Doesn't care about safety or well being of employees. I know people who have lost parts of fingers, had hands crushed, exposed to acids, and more. Management doesn't even ask them if they are ok. They are only concerned with trying to cover their own butts. They immediately conduct a" 5 why" investigation. On one occasion a person was hurt, and a 5 why investigation was performed. Years later the machine still has interlocks bypassed, undocumented changes, outdated specs, broken panels that protect from acid exposure, and I could go on.

Safety is for filling out documentation to provide the illusion of safe working environment to customers and government regulators.

Most demeaning place I've ever worked. It is a good ole boy place where The "click" is promoted. In my position people have Bachelors of Science degrees, licenses, certifications, ex-military, patents, and more. Some are promoted without ANY prior school, experience, or professional training. Needless to say we are treated like we are cashiers at a hotdog stand. NO RESPECT! Everyone is looked upon as the person with no professional training. In reality, many people in this situation have more experience, and school than management. So, I guess the idea is to demean and marginalized others to keep themselves on top.

Also, this place seems to encourage trash talking. People scoff, roll eyes, yell, make fun of you in meetings. It's really unbelievable! Very disappointing when you consider this is a " high tech" semiconductor company.

Advice to Management

Get it together before someone is killed. You surely don't want that?!?!?

"Fantastic for very many years but too many layoffs"

Former Employee - Module Shift Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Module Shift Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Spansion full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to work with lots of good people; laid back as most places in Austin are. Mature systems in a mature fab and everything is in full production mode. Lots of very intelligent, creative engineering talent here. Everybody there knows their job and do it exceptionally well. CEO did a remarkable job post bankruptcy especially keeping the company profitable.

Cons

Echo what somebody else said about little to no opportunities for growth in management specifically. Every upper level manager has been there for several years making it difficult for anybody to take those positions. Aging work force although not sure if that's a bad thing. Bonuses were an interesting exercise in futility. There didn't seem to be much visibility to what exactly needed to be done to get them. Forced distribution for employee ranking (quarterly and annually), while a common thing for most companies, didn't make much sense for a company that already had an extremely lean work force. They've gutted so many employees that most of the "low performers" were really average performers that just got screwed by the idea that a company has to have 10-15% of the employees be ranked into the lowest performance tier.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the forced distribution. There's not much point in gutting the company any more. Bring in and mentor younger talent.

10. "If you can make your manager happy, you get promoted quickly and paid well."

Current Employee - Department Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Spansion full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People are very nice here.
    Pay is good for Sr. level and above.

Cons

Stressful, no work life balance. A lot of politics. CEO seems don't care about his employees, too many cuts. High turn-over.

Advice to Management

People are the most valuable assets of a company. That's the reason why a lot of startups do well at the begining, then fall apart when the top management gets greedier and greddier.