Sparboe Farms Reviews | Glassdoor

Sparboe Farms Reviews

4.2
Beth Sparboe Schnell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A job you look forward to going back to after the weekend is over"

I have been working at Sparboe Farms full-time

Pros

Sparboe Farms has one of the best cultures I've experienced in my career- there is an environment that promotes wellness, family-life, and work-life balance. Supervisors give you the freedom to get your job done without micro-managing you which in turn inspires you to look for new and creative ways to get different tasks done. It's rare to find a job you look forward to going back to after the weekend is over and I believe Sparboe definitely makes the majority of their employees feel this way.

Cons

The distance between the different locations- Iowa, Colorado, and Minnesota. This can sometimes create difficulties in communication. Also, raises are quite difficult to get and this can sometimes make you feel like you are stuck and unable to grow within the company.

Advice to Management

The only goal for improvement I can think of is trying to enhance communication within the company and making employees feel like they are "in the loop" of things. Many times changes occur at the corporate offices that take a long time to be communicated to other locations.

2. "Excellence"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Britt, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Britt, IA

Pros

Has been an outstanding company to work for. Relaxed, but professional work environment. My manager is very supportative of family and life outside of work.

Cons

The distance between our locations (Iowa, Colorado & Minnesota) makes it hard to see your peers regurlary.

Advice to Management

Continue lostening to improvement ideas from your direct reports.

3. "HR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Hampton, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Hampton, IA

I worked at Sparboe Farms full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great to work with. Like working with friends and family.

Cons

Local and corporate needs to be more consistent.

Advice to Management

You have great employees! Make sure they get the credit deserved. Don't get caught up in drama and rumors.

4. "A company that really values its employees and their success"

Current Employee - Vice President of Finance in Wayzata, MN
    Current Employee - Vice President of Finance in Wayzata, MN

I have been working at Sparboe Farms full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sparboe is a family-owned business that really values its employees and takes a vested interest in developing them for success. The company understands that its employees are its biggest asset, and the family realizes that investment in people is mutually beneficial to being successful. The company is strong financially and has good leadership. The company is really on the cusp of breaking out of the pack once the commodity market turns, which is not in the too distant future.

Cons

The industry is in a bit of a flux right now, which doesn't lend itself to longer term planning. Sparboe does a good job of adding customers and creating efficiencies while this uncertainty exists, but at times it can create conflicting objectives.

Advice to Management

Continue to openly communicate with employees to assure everyone is aligned with company objectives.

5. "Good place to work"

I have been working at Sparboe Farms full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've had a variety of opportunities and responsibilities since joining Sparboe. I've continually felt valued and challenged with the work I do which makes work enjoyable.

Cons

Sparboe has locations in IA, MN, and CO so travel is required for some jobs.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the company swag - everyone loves free tshirts!

"No Future"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Litchfield, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Litchfield, MN

Pros

Interesting business, lots of good people which is supportive in an environment of this kind. 2nd & 3rd generation owners with little to no other business experience. Good place to start career if you want exposure various business areas.

Cons

Uncertain future, no strategic plan, business is in decline. Family owned business, but no benefit to employees. Weak and inconsistent leadership from owners. Would not recommend to friend or foe.

7. "Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayzata, MN

I have been working at Sparboe Farms full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Sparboe has given me ample opportunity to explore and enhance my talents in a field I am passionate about. My supervisor creates a working environment that allows my coworkers and myself to development in our skills and to be creative with implementing new initiatives.

Cons

Sparboe has processing facilities located throughout Minnesota, Iowa, and Colorado, which can make communication between locations hard at times.

Advice to Management

Continue to drive employee engagement and appreciation initiatives. They are creating a wonderful impact on teams throughout the organization!

8. "Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayzata, MN

I have been working at Sparboe Farms full-time (More than a year)

"Sweat shop"

Former Employee - Maintenance in Kimball, MN
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Kimball, MN

I worked at Sparboe Farms (More than a year)

Pros

When the days got longer then 12 hours they bought pizza. Other wise most of management are idiots.

Cons

The turnover rate is near 200%. They walk the line with un documented workers. When they do find progressive management team members they don't last long. The owner is living off of her father's legacy. I give the company 5 years at most.

10. "Happiness"

I have been working at Sparboe Farms full-time

Pros

Family business that has been around for 60 years. An agricultural company that produces an affordable, healthy and stable food source of high protein eggs. 500 employees in three states.

Cons

Most locations are in rural communities.

Advice to Management

Keep putting employees first.