Sparks Personnel Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steve Sparks

Pros
  • If you are looking for a work hard, play hard environment, this is it (in 3 reviews)

• She always kept in touch with me to make sure I was successful and happy (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • The reason I am posting this is because I did not completely understand how bad things were until I left org and was treated so much better (in 2 reviews)

• Sparks Personnel Promotes a Lifetime Blacklist with its former contract employees (in 2 reviews)

1. "Still love Sparks Group!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Sparks Personnel Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

After recently adopting a great new company name, logo, website, and more, this is a very exciting time to work for Sparks Group! What began as a regionally based, family-owned staffing agency, is now a full-scope provider of technical, professional, creative and administrative talent to some of the biggest and best companies to work for in MD, VA and DC.

Cons

Limited incentive programs for those in corporate/shared services roles.

"Sparks Personnel Services broke the number one rule of networking, follow-up."

Former Employee - Prospective Talent in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Prospective Talent in Washington, DC

I worked at Sparks Personnel Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After connecting with a recruiter via LinkedIn, I spoke with the woman by phone, and submitted my resume--all within 2 hours. The woman sounded very excited and interested in me as an applicant during the phone interview; we even discussed a possible upcoming opportunity, right away. She was very prompt and promised to get back to me soon.

Cons

I did not hear from the recruiter--ever--even after several e-mails. The woman never called back, emailed, or sent a message via LinkedIn--not once.

Advice to Management

Just follow up with prospective talent, even if you do not have an opportunity lined up. Everyone's time is valuable and should be respected.

"I wouldn't trade my years at SPARKS for anything!!"

Former Employee - Senior Staffing Supervisor (Recruiter/Account Manager) in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Sparks Personnel Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

*Management truly cares about their employees *My direct supervisors always cared about my personal/professional growth *Staffing is a very stressful industry and definitely not right for everyone- SPARKS made it a great environment to be in *Woke up every day and looked forward to seeing and spending the day with my coworkers *My direct manager always kept me informed and listened to my ideas *Lots of fun team events and awards for a job well-done

Cons

more "work from home" or flex-schedule options

Advice to Management

*Make sure options for career opportunities within SPARKS are made apparent to internal employees; it seems sometimes opportunities are not brought to the table until employee is halfway out the door.
    *There were SO many positive changes implemented throughout my years at SPARKS. Keep up the good work and don't ever lose the special piece of the puzzle you have- the fact that you're a REAL FAMILY.
    *Steve Sparks and Evette Baker are extraordinary leaders and very hands-on!

5. "Recruiter"

Former Employee - Recruiter in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in McLean, VA

I worked at Sparks Personnel Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome team! Best place to break into the recruiting industry and really learn the ropes. Good pay if you work hard.

Cons

Metric pressure can be intense.

6. "SSA HSPD-12 Help Desk Analyst"

Former Employee - SSA HSPD-12 Help Desk Analyst in Woodlawn, MD
    Former Employee - SSA HSPD-12 Help Desk Analyst in Woodlawn, MD

I worked at Sparks Personnel Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job as described. They were true to their word. If I worked hard the contracting company would hire me with 90 days of working there. The company hired me right at 90 days.

Cons

Pay could be better. That's it.

Advice to Management

Give IT Help Desk Analyst a little more pay.

7. "Exceptional Agency"

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Washington, DC

Pros

Very professional, team oriented, prompt, communicative and insightful professional who want to see you succeed. Taylor Thompson was just overall amazing in the DC office.

Cons

I have only be in communication with the office for literally one week and I have nothing Bad to say. I have already been hired for an amazing position.

Advice to Management

The Team in DC work exceptional well although my main consultant was Taylor, when she wasn't available the others were there to help. Thanks Alex and Kate

Sparks Personnel Services Response

Jan 26, 2016 – Marketing Manager

Thank you for your review of SPARKS. We aim to create a positive experience for each job seeker and are pleased to hear that our DC Team provided you with just that!

8. "Overall"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Washington, DC

Pros

flexibility with time off and personal appointments, client base provides the opportunity to establish great connections and build relationships with people at top companies, you learn a lot because you do a lot

Cons

politics, high stress and high pressure environment

Advice to Management

standing desks, understand that employees aren't machines, better work-life balance=more productive employees. More time off around the holidays; little things for employees that make a big difference since employees at this company work extremely hard...would increase productivity and overall employee satisfaction/fulfillment

"CEO .....BLAH"

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Sparks Personnel Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great for fresh out of college people who asre strong at cultivating relationships

Cons

Leadership had not changed in years so I cans say with high degree of certainty they are back stabbers, only out for themselves who really don't care about the associates.

Advice to Management

Buying booze and geeting people drunk does not make you a great company

10. "Recruiting/Sales"

Current Employee - Staffing Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Staffing Supervisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Sparks Personnel Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small company so you really get to meet everyone in the company especially at holiday/picnic/summer get togethers. Very rewarding when you are able to find a quality candidate a position that they are grateful for. Great company to work for!

Cons

-More about the clients than the employees
    -Dealing with unreliable candidates
    -Communication between corporate and the branches

Advice to Management

Realize that some clients aren't worth holding on to when your reputation is a risk and have better communication between all branches

11. "Incredible organization full of people who are motivated, talented and genuinely want to help candidates and clients."

Current Employee - Recruiter in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Remote, OR

Pros

The PEOPLE! Great teams who look forward to coming to work. Strong retention. Great training. Reputable organization that has been established since 1970 and growing at a smart pace increasing market share while not losing site of the individuals.

Cons

Its a regional firm so there are limitations if you want to relocate or travel to other areas for business purposes.

Advice to Management

Continue to spend the one on one time with your staff so it is understood how each person can grow professionally and stay motivated.