Spartanburg Herald Journal Reviews | Glassdoor

Spartanburg Herald Journal Reviews

Found 6 reviews

2.3
  1. "Great people, good salary if you are willing to work."

I have been working at Spartanburg Herald Journal full-time for more than 19 years

Pros

You can certainly earn a great salary here if you are willing to put forth some effort and actually make some sales calls. Management is very understandable about needing to leave early for emergencies. If you are in a bind then it's possible to work from home.

Cons

We haven't received raises in a few years but if you work hard enough you can make up for that in commissions. We have outsourced a few depts and that can sometimes make our job harder but not impossible. Overall I have enjoyed by time here at the Herald Journal

Advice to Management

We have fairly recently added to the management staff - some good - some not as good. I'm hopefully that the newer management styles we improve our overall product, pricing, staff issues. I look forward to growing forward with the Herald Journal.

Spartanburg Herald Journal2016-03-29
  2. "Horrible Morale, Terrible Atmosphere"

Former Employee - Multi-Media Account Executive in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at Spartanburg Herald Journal full-time for more than a year

Pros

People over 80 still know who you work for

Cons

Zero support from management. They hire you and tell you they will help you get to where you want to go and then they constantly say they’re too busy. Upper management does not care about you, all they care about are numbers and making themselves look like rock stars in the community. They’re not concerned about you at all. If you’re new to sales, avoid this company at all costs. You will get no help establishing yourself...

Advice to Management

Why try? They’re not listening.

Spartanburg Herald Journal2018-08-03
  3. "Newspaper Press operator."

Former Employee - Pressman in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at Spartanburg Herald Journal full-time for more than 19 years

Pros

Good people to work with.Good pay. Great benefits. A good place to build a career. I was looking to retire there,but sorry.

Cons

Left hanging once laid off. People they didn't like got more expensive than we did (That had been there for years!!)

Advice to Management

Listen to employee's better.

Spartanburg Herald Journal2017-12-23
  4. "Customer service rep"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative and Front Desk Receptionist in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at Spartanburg Herald Journal (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working with the public and SOME of the people there.

Cons

They don't warn you that they recycle employees. Got laid off right before Christmas. Managers are unprofessional and the people are very petty.

Advice to Management

Stop with the favoritism. Alert people that got lay off often. Grow up and be up front with everything.

Spartanburg Herald Journal2016-02-01
  5. "Multimedia Account Executive"

Current Employee - Multimedia Account Executive in Spartanburg, SC

Pros

I enjoy my job because I have the opportunity to help business gain new customers and therefore get a return on their investments. And it is very rewarding to watch business grow and succeed.

Cons

Often times not the best person is placed in charge of a sales department. Be it someone who really does not understand the market of which you have sold advertising for 22 years.

Advice to Management

I am a seasoned employee and I have a strong skill set in sales and marketing.

Spartanburg Herald Journal2015-07-07
  6. "You're better off with a Radio or TV Ad Sales job!"

Former Employee - Multimedia Sales Executive in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at Spartanburg Herald Journal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

When sales goals are obtainable, you can earn a decent living. When owned by the New York Times Company the benefits were great. Now that it is under Halifax Media, the benefits are lackluster. The building is spacious, I guess it would have to be. They laid off close to 70% of the people who worked there in the past decade. Even for an outside rep, your cubicle will feel spacious since the place is mostly empty. ...

Cons

Sales Accounts: All sales accounts are a complete free for all. It's not like radio where they give you an account quota. Other sales people will poach your accounts or claim you poached their account the moment you get a sale on anything. If you ask anyone for help on a sale, they will see it as an opportunity to work on the account behind your back. At least in radio if an account is poached, you can trade an account...

Advice to Management

For Halifax: Don't come to visit the office and tell everyone how you plan to grow and hire more people, then the next week lay off 25% of the staff. Also, bring back Salesforce.com, The Microsoft CRM is horrible.

Spartanburg Herald Journal2013-06-21