Spartanburg Herald Journal Reviews | Glassdoor

Spartanburg Herald Journal Reviews

2.5
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great people, good salary if you are willing to work."

I have been working at Spartanburg Herald Journal full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You can certainly earn a great salary here if you are willing to put forth some effort and actually make some sales calls. Management is very understandable about needing to leave early for emergencies. If you are in a bind then it's possible to work from home.

Cons

We haven't received raises in a few years but if you work hard enough you can make up for that in commissions. We have outsourced a few depts and that can sometimes make our job harder but not impossible. Overall I have enjoyed by time here at the Herald Journal

Advice to Management

We have fairly recently added to the management staff - some good - some not as good. I'm hopefully that the newer management styles we improve our overall product, pricing, staff issues. I look forward to growing forward with the Herald Journal.

2. "Customer service rep"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative and Front Desk Receptionist in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at Spartanburg Herald Journal (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working with the public and SOME of the people there.

Cons

They don't warn you that they recycle employees. Got laid off right before Christmas. Managers are unprofessional and the people are very petty.

Advice to Management

Stop with the favoritism. Alert people that got lay off often. Grow up and be up front with everything.

3. "Multimedia Account Executive"

Current Employee - Multimedia Account Executive in Spartanburg, SC
    Current Employee - Multimedia Account Executive in Spartanburg, SC

Pros

I enjoy my job because I have the opportunity to help business gain new customers and therefore get a return on their investments. And it is very rewarding to watch business grow and succeed.

Cons

Often times not the best person is placed in charge of a sales department. Be it someone who really does not understand the market of which you have sold advertising for 22 years.

Advice to Management

I am a seasoned employee and I have a strong skill set in sales and marketing.

4. "You're better off with a Radio or TV Ad Sales job!"

Former Employee - Multimedia Sales Executive in Spartanburg, SC
    Former Employee - Multimedia Sales Executive in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at Spartanburg Herald Journal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When sales goals are obtainable, you can earn a decent living. When owned by the New York Times Company the benefits were great. Now that it is under Halifax Media, the benefits are lackluster.

The building is spacious, I guess it would have to be. They laid off close to 70% of the people who worked there in the past decade. Even for an outside rep, your cubicle will feel spacious since the place is mostly empty.

If your an outside rep like I was, then on Fridays you can make an early morning appearance in the office, act like you are going out to make calls, then go home and get to the weekend. I didn't do this too often, but all the other outside reps do this every week.

Cons

Sales Accounts:
    All sales accounts are a complete free for all. It's not like radio where they give you an account quota. Other sales people will poach your accounts or claim you poached their account the moment you get a sale on anything. If you ask anyone for help on a sale, they will see it as an opportunity to work on the account behind your back. At least in radio if an account is poached, you can trade an account you have with the poacher if you want to get it back.

Two types of ad accounts make the most money: National Accounts and Car Accounts. You won't be allowed to get a car account because that is classified sales, yet the people with Car account can poach your accounts and have as many as they want. The national accounts is handled by one person, and thankfully that person is limited to those accounts.

If you're a new hire, good luck, the accounts you will get will have no meat on the bone. Just about everyone in the city has had an account at the paper at one time or another. That means they are either in bad credit and never paid, or another sales person screwed them over along the way to hit a goal. You will spend a lot of time untangling bad credit and rebuilding the trust a client has lost in the paper. And in sales it is nearly impossible to over come a broken trust. You mostly deal with clients who were screwed over by past reps more so than bad credit accounts.

in-house production:
    They gutted the in-house production team, so all design work on client ads are done in Tuscaloosa, AL. So that means 90% of your ads come back as junk or completely wrong. This eats up a ton of time that could be used on making more sales. in-house production isn't that great (due to being skeleton staffed), but they at least get you back a mistake free ad to proof.

Commission Pay Outs:
    The commission pay-out system is crazy and not stright-forward. It's a matrix where you have to a Print goal, a digital goal, and a few random items to get a payout. You could be crushing it on your digital and have a weak print month and walk away with nothing! Also, about 75% of the salesforce cook their numbers in order to get their pay outs. It's common for management not to discover this until the person jumps ship for something better.

Advice to Management

For Halifax: Don't come to visit the office and tell everyone how you plan to grow and hire more people, then the next week lay off 25% of the staff. Also, bring back Salesforce.com, The Microsoft CRM is horrible.