Special Counsel Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Laurie Chamberlin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible hours and weekend hours available in most proyects (in 10 reviews)

• Supportive work environment and great staff (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Special Counsel boasts that employees/document review attorneys are eligible to join Special Counsel's healthcare plan after working for SC for 30 days (in 8 reviews)

• long hours, but you get what you get with Doc Review (in 5 reviews)

1. "Contract Specialist"

I worked at Special Counsel full-time

Pros

Provided supportive environment. Checked in on me periodically.

Cons

After assignment ended, I never heard back from Special Counsel. Appeared to not care.

Advice to Management

Follow-up more frequently after completion of an assignment

"Anonymous"

Pros

Special Counsel is part of the Adecco Group brand. If you’re lucky enough to transfer to the corporate office the possibilities could be endless. Benefits and PTO is good. There’s not too much to say, the brand is focus on sales! Their u official motto is “What can you do for us?”

Cons

There’s no career development. Favoritism plays a major part of how far you go. Very competitive environment, if you’re locking to become a recruiter to help people find a job, run far away.

"Just Awful"

I worked at Special Counsel full-time

Pros

If you drink the kool aid, have questionable ethics, and love drama this is a great place.

Cons

Shady leadership. Became even more apparent after I left. They will do everything they can to bring you down if you leave. Non compete is not enforceable but they will threaten you constantly and make you miserable. Terrible reputation in the staffing business. Promotions are not based on performance or production, but who will never question authority above them, so offices are run by incompetent puppets. Don't even think about venting about or questioning the change in structure or compensation or leadership that happens a few times every year, you will be threatened or pushed out. You will be coached to write positive reviews here, and to talk badly about all former office employees to internal hires as well as clients and candidates, even if you never knew them personally. I'm embarrassed to admit I worked here for as long as I did.

Advice to Management

No advice could fix this disaster, the leadership wouldn't take advice from anyone suggesting they are doing it wrong anyway.

"Poor Job Placement"

I have been working at Special Counsel full-time

Pros

The job placement process is fairly quick

Cons

They micromanage everything and pay lower than market rate

5. "Good Doc Review"

I worked at Special Counsel full-time

Pros

Decent pay, lots of work

Cons

long hours, but you get what you get with Doc Review

"Bitter toward former employees"

I worked at Special Counsel full-time

Pros

I worked at Special Counsel for over 6 years and while there, I learned everything NOT to do in client development and recruiting.

Cons

If you are working at Special Counsel now, and you leave, be prepared for them to try to ruin your career over and over again. Especially if you are successful in your new job. The employee that takes over your role will be given direction to speak badly of you to the people you worked with while at Special Counsel. If you are in client development, that new employee will also blame everything that ever went wrong with that client on you and continue to speak negatively of you as a person with that client every chance they get. Just be prepared to have this company haunt you forever, until you have a reason to sue for libel, defamation and slander.

Everyone at Special Counsel might as well check in to AA. The company culture drives you self medicate if you aren't humble enough to see a therapist.

Advice to Management

Close the doors. Special Counsel's reputation as a horrible company to do business with is written in the sky. Everyone knows it except you.

7. "Good Flexibility"

I have been working at Special Counsel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really happy with the project that Special Counsel staffed me on. Has great working hours and flexibility.

Cons

No room for advancement in pay. Upper management seems unaware of the status of current projects.

Advice to Management

Provide incentives for employees to stay on the staffed project.

"Next!"

I worked at Special Counsel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Some genuinely nice people work there.
    - If you can brown nose you will have a job for life, if you're that type of person.

Cons

- A lot of drinking in the office during and after business hours.
    - High turnover; not able to hold on to their best people who quickly move on.
    - Rampant favoritism protecting and advancing tenured but mediocre (or worse) employees.
    - Miz President keeps the company in the 20th century but the company either doesn't notice, doesn't care or is not aware this is happening.
    - Millenials will not like the old school, "good ol' gal" thing they got going.
    - They're waaaaaaay under market on compensation.
    - Management arbitrarily moves themselves or their friends, mainly former paralegals like them, into positions - and one of them just might be yours.
    - Management maintains tight top-down control and ignores bottom-up feedback.
    - Chik-fil-a. Nuff said.
    - Favoritism. It's so thick you choke on it.

Advice to Management

I just can't.

"The Best of the Worst"

I worked at Special Counsel full-time

Pros

I enjoy the "authentic" employee reviews that sound as if they were written while downing gallons of booze laced Kool-Aid.

#veryconvincing ;)

Cons

There are so many to choose from but I think the below is a good starting point:

-Management
    -Sycophants
    -Favortism
    -Fellow Employees
    -Blogs

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

10. "Contract Attorney"

I worked at Special Counsel part-time

Pros

Wonderful support from placement managers/recruiters. Negotiated hourly rate for me and really boosted my earning potential.

Cons

Assignments come and go and there is occasionally some down time between assignments.