Special Counsel Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Laurie Chamberlin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The office offers flexible hours as well as no cap on hours from my last assignment" (in 11 reviews)

• "Supportive work environment and great staff" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Special Counsel boasts that employees/document review attorneys are eligible to join Special Counsel's healthcare plan after working for SC for 30 days" (in 9 reviews)

• "No cons it is a holistic place for your growth" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great company to work with..."

Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Special Counsel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great communication between me and the representatives. Highly professional.

Cons

Could offer better benefits package.

2. "Director of Legal Recruiting"

Current Employee - Director of Legal Recruitment in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Director of Legal Recruitment in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Special Counsel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Access to the appropriate tools I need in order to successfully recruit as well as engage in business development. Excellent team, excellent platform to perfect my staffing career!

Cons

I honestly can't think of a con about working here. Upper management is really engaged in helping people succeed and there are a lot of opportunities here to make money and do well for your team!

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice for upper management; I honestly believe they do everything they possibly can to make sure everyone has the same opportunities to do well.

3. "Trustworthy staffing agency"

I worked at Special Counsel full-time

Pros

I was placed in a very uncomfortable work place that made me question my own ethics, worth, and goals. I was not the first staffer put in the position, but I was offered a full time position which I declined abruptly. I left the job placement very suddenly due to a rising discomfort and the Special Counsel employee who placed me could not have been more understanding, compassionate, and genuinely concerned. I have worked with staffing agencies before, but this was the best experience. I have never felt more comfortable explaining why I had to leave, especially without giving appropriate notice. The employee who placed me invited me back for another interview after, which I only declined because I had found other employment. Leaving without appropriate notice is unacceptable and a valid reason to never hire someone again for potentially legitimate positions, but Special Counsel actually was compassionate and understanding to specific circumstances.

Cons

The law firm I was placed in was not one I would personally want to keep a relationship with, but they paid both myself and Special Counsel well (unfortunately, they did not even try to hide both my wages/salary, SC's cut, and the previous employees in my position's salaries..).

Advice to Management

Continue to grow the culture of listening to the placed employees that is already in place. I

"Good but unstable"

Former Employee - Director of Legal Recruiting
    Former Employee - Director of Legal Recruiting

I worked at Special Counsel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Comfortable work environment, great training, good benefits.

Cons

Upper management unavailable to colleagues. Company makes frequent internal changes that are sudden and unpredictable.

"It all depends on which division you're in"

I have been working at Special Counsel full-time

Pros

Great colleagues. Some terrific leaders. When things are going well they usually go very well. High earnings potential and other incentives if meeting/exceeding performance goals.

Cons

Lots of organizational changes the last 1-2 years. Long-term vision and strategy unclear. Some questionable promotions (based on performance, experience, skill, knowledge) to management positions. Prioritization of certain divisions over others; elimination of local market management resulting in demotions to individual contributor roles for many of those managers if they wish to remain with company.

Advice to Management

Be more mindful of the overall impact of organizational changes across all divisions. Be much more transparent when communicating change -- what, why, how -- and its alignment with long-term goals.

When considering employees for promotions to key management positions, strongly emphasis performance, experience, skill and knowledge instead of promoting by need, convenience, and connections.

Lastly, there has been so much priority placed on certain divisions at the expense of others. There are some excellent employees that have ended up on the wrong side of org changes because of the division they work in, with some under-qualified employees (based on experience, skill, knowledge) in prioritized divisions being beneficiaries of rapid career advancement/growth opportunities.

Special Counsel Response

Jun 22, 2018 – Workforce Relations

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We strive to be as transparent as possible, especially when it comes to organizational changes and how they will impact both the business and... More

"Incompetence above, fine coworkers at your side."

I worked at Special Counsel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive, smart, funny, collegial coworkers.

Cons

Overseers are anxiety driven and neurotic.

Advice to Management

Loosen up!

"Company has turned into a runaway train waiting to derail"

I have been working at Special Counsel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of back office and IT support. Strong benefits package. Temp commission is a laugh, but direct hire commission is acceptable, and fairly standard for the industry. Outside of senior management, there are some good people in the company.

Cons

Micromanagement to the hilt, but not by head of branch - by senior leadership. Reporting is absolute manna to the leadership gods. I've been with the company for numerous years, since before current president took position 5 years ago, which is when things went from "I LOVE my job!" to "What the hell happened - where am I???" for so many of us. I'm absolutely appalled at much of what we are now being asked to do to make a buck for the company, some of which is highly unethical by almost anyone's standards. But as long as it makes those financials look good, that is the end-all be-all, regardless of how clients would instantly terminate relationships with the company if they only knew some of what was going on behind the scenes. Short term gains are the goal, regardless of the long-term losses that will surely follow once the dam bursts with even just one client learning of some of these mandates in how we should work, some of which were formerly actually grounds for dismissal under the prior leadership (like recruiting from clients who do business with us). I've tried to be patient and toe the line, but my morals just won't let me any longer. I finally hit my limit and began actively interviewing recently - now have 3 offers I'm trying to decide between. Thought I'd create this review while I can honestly state that I am still a current employee, because the moment I turn in my notice, policy is to have an employee leave same day. And PS: I'm in middle management and happy with my role in general, not a lower-level employee, so this is not a case of sour grapes.

Advice to Management

Own your mistake in having made LC the company president. The dire lack in some instances of both ethics and simple logic in some of the decision-making is beyond comprehension, not to mention the blatant favoritism shown to a select few closest buddies being incredibly unprofessional. This placement was a mistake, plain and simple, and most current employees would breathe a huge sigh of relief to see a change; not to mention, possibly discontinue their own job change plans. More are unhappy than you realize, but are too afraid of being bound by our non-competes to say so.

8. "Special Counsel"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Special Counsel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee friendly, good atmosphere, flexible timing,

Cons

No cons it is a holistic place for your growth

Advice to Management

No cons

9. "Overall great place to work"

I have been working at Special Counsel full-time

Pros

Great people, Management cares about employees. Great benefits

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity to grow

10. "Depends on your representative"

Current Employee - Paralegal in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Paralegal in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Special Counsel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is no interview, everything depends on your resume. Good communication between the staffer and employee and can usually find you a job quickly.

Cons

The majority of law firms you will be sent to are awful and have bad reputations. They try and send you anywhere just to make a fee and will ignore your call.email if they don't feel like responding. If they don't feel like they can benefit from you they won't treat you as nice.

Special Counsel Response

Jun 22, 2018 – Workforce Relations

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We take pride in the relationships we form with our law firm clients across the country and make sure they would also be a good fit for our... More