Special Counsel 106 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Laurie Chamberlin

Pros
  • Flexible hours, high degree of independence (in 8 reviews)

• I run my own practice and it's nice being able to supplement my income with contract work (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • It's document review work, which is not that exciting for attorneys, but that's the nature of the job (in 8 reviews)

• Contract work offers no real ability to advance (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"My job is better than yours"

I have been working at Special Counsel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Management bends over backwards to help us succeed. Tons of incentives offered to help employees stay motivated and engaged. I have never been so happy to go to work and feel more invested than ever in the company I work for.

Cons

If you want to be miserable at work and aren't a happy person-- DON'T APPLY. We have fun at work!

Advice to Management

We appreciate everything you do for us- Thank you!

"Very Supportive and Professional"

Current Employee - Contract Attorney in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Contract Attorney in New Orleans, LA

Pros

I've had nothing but a positive experience with Special Counsel. Even though I required a position that allowed telecommuting (positions which are very hard to find), the staff at Special Counsel continued to diligently pursue work for me.

They have been extremely supportive and professional, and I highly recommend them to anyone looking for contract work.

Cons

Money at a contract position is simply not going to be as high as working for a firm, but that is true anywhere, so this really isn't a complaint against Special Counsel. It's just the way contract work goes. Those complaining that they don't make over $50 per hour at a contract job are being unrealistic, in my view. Considering we're in a recession (and that law schools are pumping out new lawyers by the bucket-load), I'm simply happy to be working with a company that treats its employees like human beings.

Advice to Management

Thanks very much to the New Orleans office for making my experience with Special Counsel run so smoothly- it has been much appreciated.

3. "Contract work is what it is. For me, it is perfect."

Current Employee - Attorney, 8th-Year in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Attorney, 8th-Year in Miami, FL

Pros

After reading some of the reviews here, I must say that contract work isn't for everyone. The project based work isn't particularly challenging, and because you are working on a paid hourly basis you do have to 'punch a clock', so to speak. But on the flip side, contract work has given me tremendous flexibility and work / life balance. My husband and I are both white collar professionals and have two small children. With two ambitious careers to manage (he's an accountant and also slave to the billable hour), something had to give and unfortunately, it was our children's care. Simply put, the sacrifices my children were making in the name of our careers became too much for me.

Contract work is beautifully simple. I am able to earn an income and stay 'out there' profesionally, while having the flexibility to dictate my hours and turn down assignments during the most hectic times of the year (can you say TAX season?!). It has really eased the stress in our household.

In the last ~year, I've had two assignments that were not project based, both related to asbestos litigation which is in line with my experience. Those were obviously more challenging, but the project work doesn't bother me too badly, really. In fact, there are many days when I am thankful NOT to be that lead attorney in the case, with full responsibility on his/her shoulders.

As far as Special Counsel goes, for legal contract work they are THE source in South Florida. I've been pretty pleased working with them. They are professional and generally respectful of my personal work/ life balance issues. Re: the poster who said they were dictating lunch breaks, frankly, I like the fact that they communicate the client's expectations very clearly. Moreover, I can appreciate that they have to represent their client's interests as well as mine.

I'd like to get back into practice some day, but not right now. For me, this is a good fit.

Cons

As mentioned above and in other posts, project work can be extremely tedious. For those who are looking for a career that challenges or even flexes the 'law school muscle', this is not the right type of work. There are other assignments available, depending on your level of expertise, but as mentioned they can be few and far between if related to a niche area of the law.

I would recommend that if contract work is not your cup of tea, work with the recruiters to get your foot in the door in a permanent position. An old friend of mine referred me to Special Counsel. He was recruited by them for an in-house IP position in Chicago, and loves it there.

Advice to Management

I haven't really had any exposure to senior management while working as a consultant.

"Recruiter"

I worked at Special Counsel full-time

Pros

Great environment, benefits, encourage innovation, good interaction between branches, everyone really cares about the candidates

Cons

there was little room for growth

6. "Great for contract and direct hire opportunities"

Current Employee - Contractor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Contractor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Special Counsel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are polished and have a strong skill set, they have plenty of opportunities for you.

Cons

Recent graduates or people with less experience will have a tougher time getting placed, unless it is a document review project.

7. "good place to work"

Former Employee - Attorney
    Former Employee - Attorney

I worked at Special Counsel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good communication and professional demeanor

Cons

sometimes hard to find work

Advice to Management

improve communication with employees

"Best Place to Work"

Current Employee - Support Staff in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Support Staff in Miami, FL

I have been working at Special Counsel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone seems to enjoy it here and has the right balance between fun and productivity. I loved my co-workers and gained a great deal of knowledge working under them. And as a growing organization they're constantly working on ways to improve the opportunities for it's account executives to succeed.

Cons

This work environment filters out those who do not commit to team efforts.

Advice to Management

Management is always there to help.

"Many can literally say- I love my job!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Pros

This company invests time and knowledge to assist their clients. They really take the effort to consult with firms and corporations on all levels to assist their needs.

This company actually cares about it's clients, candidates and employees on all levels. Great structure, open door policy, upward mobility, great management and strategically hires great people.

Company is great in engaging participation, organization, rewards, goal reaching and team incentives.

Cons

Location is central and downtown- commuting.

Advice to Management

Continue the positivity

"No Complaints!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Special Counsel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was very relieved when I received a call from Special Counsel. I needed someone to give me a shot and they did. I am nothing but pleased with the communication, diligence and over all helpfulness from the ladies I have met and worked with from Special Counsel. They truly go above and beyond for their recruits. My favorite part is they keep their word!

Cons

It would be nice to be paid a little more, other than that, no cons thus far.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Excellent Benefits Plan"

I have been working at Special Counsel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The insurance is excellent for my family of 5. We love the Amwell service that is included at no cost.

Cons

There are no cons. The company atmosphere is great and management really tries to help you succeed.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice, as mentioned I really enjoy working for Special Counsel.