Special Counsel Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Laurie Chamberlin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible hours and weekend hours available in most proyects (in 10 reviews)

• Supportive work environment and great staff (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Special Counsel boasts that employees/document review attorneys are eligible to join Special Counsel's healthcare plan after working for SC for 30 days (in 8 reviews)

• long hours, but you get what you get with Doc Review (in 5 reviews)

1. "Needs change - lots of change"

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Special Counsel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Big company means lots of support from people hired to do specific tasks, so seldom is something not available or a problem unable to be resolved.

Cons

Worked for the company for over a decade. Used to be great, but new company president who came in a few years back changed so many internal policies about ways we should work relative to clients & candidates, in so many negative ways, that I became concerned about my excellent reputation in the staffing field becoming tarnished by continued association. Felt it better to resign before that happened, and turned out to be a good thing I did. Literally 100% of my clients followed me, and many then expressed being pleased to not have to work with Special Counsel again. Also unexpectedly was able to get in the door with many clients who had declined to work with me previously but did so readily after I was away from Special Counsel. It was seriously eye-opening: I had no idea that so many of the ensuing negatives had become visible to clients. And 100% of them were direct results of the changes this new president had made. Truly a sad situation, it was a fantastic place to work before then.

Advice to Management

Short term gains are not worth it if they are at the expense of long-term success. Let the mass exodus of good people from the company over the last few years be a wake-up call that change needs to be made at the top.

"Poor Job Placement"

I have been working at Special Counsel full-time

Pros

The job placement process is fairly quick

Cons

They micromanage everything and pay lower than market rate

"Just Awful"

I worked at Special Counsel full-time

Pros

If you drink the kool aid, have questionable ethics, and love drama this is a great place.

Cons

Shady leadership. Became even more apparent after I left. They will do everything they can to bring you down if you leave. Non compete is not enforceable but they will threaten you constantly and make you miserable. Terrible reputation in the staffing business. Promotions are not based on performance or production, but who will never question authority above them, so offices are run by incompetent puppets. Don't even think about venting about or questioning the change in structure or compensation or leadership that happens a few times every year, you will be threatened or pushed out. You will be coached to write positive reviews here, and to talk badly about all former office employees to internal hires as well as clients and candidates, even if you never knew them personally. I'm embarrassed to admit I worked here for as long as I did.

Advice to Management

No advice could fix this disaster, the leadership wouldn't take advice from anyone suggesting they are doing it wrong anyway.

"Bitter toward former employees"

I worked at Special Counsel full-time

Pros

I worked at Special Counsel for over 6 years and while there, I learned everything NOT to do in client development and recruiting.

Cons

If you are working at Special Counsel now, and you leave, be prepared for them to try to ruin your career over and over again. Especially if you are successful in your new job. The employee that takes over your role will be given direction to speak badly of you to the people you worked with while at Special Counsel. If you are in client development, that new employee will also blame everything that ever went wrong with that client on you and continue to speak negatively of you as a person with that client every chance they get. Just be prepared to have this company haunt you forever, until you have a reason to sue for libel, defamation and slander.

Everyone at Special Counsel might as well check in to AA. The company culture drives you self medicate if you aren't humble enough to see a therapist.

Advice to Management

Close the doors. Special Counsel's reputation as a horrible company to do business with is written in the sky. Everyone knows it except you.

5. "Contract Specialist"

I worked at Special Counsel full-time

Pros

Provided supportive environment. Checked in on me periodically.

Cons

After assignment ended, I never heard back from Special Counsel. Appeared to not care.

Advice to Management

Follow-up more frequently after completion of an assignment

"Next!"

I worked at Special Counsel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Some genuinely nice people work there.
    - If you can brown nose you will have a job for life, if you're that type of person.

Cons

- A lot of drinking in the office during and after business hours.
    - High turnover; not able to hold on to their best people who quickly move on.
    - Rampant favoritism protecting and advancing tenured but mediocre (or worse) employees.
    - Miz President keeps the company in the 20th century but the company either doesn't notice, doesn't care or is not aware this is happening.
    - Millenials will not like the old school, "good ol' gal" thing they got going.
    - They're waaaaaaay under market on compensation.
    - Management arbitrarily moves themselves or their friends, mainly former paralegals like them, into positions - and one of them just might be yours.
    - Management maintains tight top-down control and ignores bottom-up feedback.
    - Chik-fil-a. Nuff said.
    - Favoritism. It's so thick you choke on it.

Advice to Management

I just can't.

"Anonymous"

Pros

Special Counsel is part of the Adecco Group brand. If you’re lucky enough to transfer to the corporate office the possibilities could be endless. Benefits and PTO is good. There’s not too much to say, the brand is focus on sales! Their u official motto is “What can you do for us?”

Cons

There’s no career development. Favoritism plays a major part of how far you go. Very competitive environment, if you’re locking to become a recruiter to help people find a job, run far away.

8. "Good Doc Review"

I worked at Special Counsel full-time

Pros

Decent pay, lots of work

Cons

long hours, but you get what you get with Doc Review

9. "Good Flexibility"

I have been working at Special Counsel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really happy with the project that Special Counsel staffed me on. Has great working hours and flexibility.

Cons

No room for advancement in pay. Upper management seems unaware of the status of current projects.

Advice to Management

Provide incentives for employees to stay on the staffed project.

10. "Contract Attorney"

I worked at Special Counsel part-time

Pros

Wonderful support from placement managers/recruiters. Negotiated hourly rate for me and really boosted my earning potential.

Cons

Assignments come and go and there is occasionally some down time between assignments.