Special Counsel Reviews | Glassdoor

Special Counsel Reviews

Updated May 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Flexible hours and weekend hours available in most proyects (in 8 reviews)

• Supportive work environment and great staff (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • It's document review work, which is not that exciting for attorneys, but that's the nature of the job (in 8 reviews)

• Contract work offers no real ability to advance (in 7 reviews)

"Best Job Ever!"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Boston, MA

I have been working at Special Counsel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work for the leading company in the staffing industry which gives us a lot of exposure to top law firms and companies. I could not think of a better or more rewarding job because we truly get to change peoples lives - whether its an extra paycheck around the holidays on our temp side or getting someone a 100k pay increase on the perm side.

It's also a job where you reap what you sow - if you work hard, then it will reflect in your compensation. I personally made more in this position than I would have if I were on lock-step with the biggest firms!

Across the company we get great support from our President all the way down to our in-office colleagues. I know I feel comfortable picking up the phone and working with our sister offices across the nation. It's a strong culture of respect and support.

Cons

You have to work hard to be able to achieve good footing - not a true "con" but a reality

Advice to Management

Just keep swimming!

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lafayette Hill, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lafayette Hill, PA

I have been working at Special Counsel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The sky is the limit for people who work hard and play hard. The President, Laurie Chamberlin has created a supportive culture for those who want to succeed. She is an inspiration and a breath of fresh air, who will literally run through mountains to get the job done.

Cons

If you don't take charge of your own success the culture is not right for you.

Advice to Management

Keep on reaching for the stars. We will follow your lead.

"Pretty good"

Current Employee - Attorney in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Attorney in Miami, FL

I have been working at Special Counsel (More than 3 years)

Pros

I run my own practice and it's nice being able to supplement my income with contract work. I'm not sure what's up with all the angry reviews on here. I've worked with both Cherie and Tracey and they are responsive and honest. If there are no projects they tell me. To the people who left the reviews about their fees- do you like working for free? Because I don't, and my guess is neither do they. All these angry millennials on here need to chill out. Leaving negative anonymous reviews on Glassdoor will not find you a new job any faster.

Cons

The work spaces are pretty small and it's kind of messed up we are expected to pay for our own parking. No other staffing agency makes their attorneys do that

Advice to Management

Pay for parking lol

"Robert Half Lovers - bad hires"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Good place to go to take career to next level.

Cons

Hiring former Robert Halfers that bring their bad attitude & cut-throat style to the company.

Advice to Management

treat employees better, you'll go further

"Never Experienced Such a Disingenuous Culture"

Former Employee - Placement Director in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Placement Director in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Special Counsel full-time

Pros

If there is one thing this company is very, very good at - it's Lying and Deceiving.
    I consider myself very positive and uplifting but when it comes to my experience with Special Counsel, I cannot justifiably keep this to myself any longer:
    JOB SEEKERS - Take notice that between the dates of July 18th - July 21st, there is a sudden flood of "5 Star Reviews" that have relatively very similar information in the bodies, same titles and not a single Con ... this is obviously an effort to mask the Truth of recent negative occurrences and to paint the FAKE picture that they are this 'picture perfect company' with absolutely no flaws ... Do yourself an enormous favor and DO NOT Drink the Kool-Aid.

Cons

I truly do not know where to start ....
     -- Upper Management is insultingly pompous. The whole "My Job Is Better Than Yours" attitude that they flaunt around like a bunch of Cheerleaders with fake make-up is just pathetic and an absolute cancer to the modest employees still working there that are genuinely trying to make a difference for honest legal career seekers.
    -- You might feel valued for the first 3-6 months but soon after, a tidal wave of severe Micromanagement and insanely unrealistic expectations will slap you in the face with a reality that is quite the contrary.
    -- Attorneys, Paralegals, Assistants, etc. - FAIR WARNING - Recruiters are pushed to "close at the lowest hourly rate possible" (Exact words form my previous BDD) without regard for somebody's situation - this means severely underpaid and unhappy Contractors that are often in unfavorable circumstances. The amount of complaint calls I received from underpaid Attorneys on a weekly basis was asinine and I regret being a part of the lies and deceit to this day.
     -- Metrics and Numbers are considered more important than you as a human being. Making phone calls just to put a mark on your tally sheet does during your moronic contest DOES NOT constitute effective business practice - neither does interviewing a Paralegal just to get 1 point, telling them we have a Job Order when there really is none. Shameful.

Advice to Management

Dear Upper Management ,
    Yes - we know ... we know you truly believe that "Your Job is Better" but a cup of humble tea would really do you some good. Admit your collective mistakes for once and LISTEN to your disgruntled employees rather than continuously bashing and firing them!!

"Analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at Special Counsel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Filled gap on resume and was decent pay for contract work and was hired quickly.

Cons

Not good communication between company placed at and Special Counsel.

Advice to Management

Offer better benefits to contract workers who have been there for longer than 2 months.

"Attorney Document Reviewer"

Current Employee - Document Review Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Document Review Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

Flexibility, Great environment, supportive Friendly staff,excellent Recruiter who will promptly follow up on projects and communicate constantly with everyone involved!!

Cons

pay but is around market rate.

"Nice atmosphere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Special Counsel (Less than a year)

Pros

Special counsel provided a nice atmosphere to work in. Other workers were professional, respectful, and kind. Often times they went out of their way to help me adjust and learn.

Cons

The office could use sprucing

"Document Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Pros

Flexible hours. Suitable working environment.

Cons

I have never worked for a company that disrespected their employees more. Was sent an e-mail at noon that review would not start that day at 2 PM but 9 am the following day. Oops too late. So much for the $5 parking fee.

Ten days later, received an email at 5:10 am that job was complete & not to come to work that day. Oops, another trip to Miami from Fort Lauderdale for nothing. And don't forget the $10 parking fee & $6.50 express lane fee.

Advice to Management

PLEASE PLEASE treat others with the same respect you would like to receive.

"Contract Attorney"

Former Employee - Attorney in Wynnewood, PA
    Former Employee - Attorney in Wynnewood, PA

I worked at Special Counsel (More than a year)

Pros

They were easy to work with and were able to find contract work for me quickly.

Cons

Very little to no follow up once they'd placed me in a position.