Special Counsel Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Special Counsel San Francisco Reviews

San Francisco, CA

Laurie Chamberlin

Pros
  • Flexible hours, high degree of independence (in 8 reviews)

• I run my own practice and it's nice being able to supplement my income with contract work (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • It's document review work, which is not that exciting for attorneys, but that's the nature of the job (in 8 reviews)

• Contract work offers no real ability to advance (in 7 reviews)

1. "If looking for a temporary position, Special Counsel is a place to look."

Former Employee - Document Reviewer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Document Reviewer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

If you have not secured a permanent position for after graduation, it is a good place to find quality jobs and competitive pay. The people I worked with at Special Counsel were respectful and I felt actually worked to get me different jobs while I was temping for them. While pay was not at the top, it was competitive with other similar work.

Cons

Jobs are temporary. Not likely to find a temporary to hire position without significant experience. Document review opportunities can be limited in tough economic times. It is also difficult to obtain your first document review job if you have no prior experience in document review. Most firms are looking for persons experienced in specific software for their document review. Work can also become tedious over time. While not a likely good career choice (as far as document review), it was good link between graduation and my first permanent job as an attorney.

Advice to Management

Communicate more with employees to keep morale high. Offer constructive criticism. Offer more opportunities for advancement.

"Unsophisticated agency for seasoned recruiters"

Former Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Special Counsel (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well respected name in temporary staffing, not direct hire search.

Cons

Poor commission structure, focus is on daily/weekly production and not quaterly/annual GP for their contributors which is not very inspiring or motivating. Company initiatives are poorly delivered and hence received or actualized.

Advice to Management

Manage to end results not daily/weekly metrics and work to improve culture of the company.