Special People In Northeast, Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 16, 2017

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Special People In Northeast, Inc. President and Chief Executive Officer Kathleen Brown McHale
Kathleen Brown McHale
1 Rating

1. "Good experience"

Current Employee - Tss in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Tss in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Special People In Northeast, Inc. (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay for tss. Some Benefits for part time

Cons

Paperwork clocking in and schedule

Advice to Management

None

2. "Fulfilling position, great people in many levels of management, high standards ( exp. w/ BHRS Services and Corporate)"

Current Employee - Children's Behavior Therapist/TSS/BHW in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Children's Behavior Therapist/TSS/BHW in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Special People In Northeast, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I adore this company. I've sat in free yoga classes with the CEO laid out next to me and in roundtable meetings with corporate to discuss our needs and hopes for our position and the field in terms of aiming to offer living wage for all. I have have incredibly meaningful relationships with clients watching them succeed and helping them adapt around their struggles with a supportive team both around and above me that was always accessible. Good hearted people who work hard and truly care and are on your side. We also have adult services that I have seen many happy clients in, some married. Great place to work, lots of promotion from within and leadership education courses offered. Benefits were so/so, kind of a high deductible but I was grateful for in a field mostly comprised of independent contractors, and that's where SPIN really breaks the mold and offers more than typical positions at other companies. Very high standards though, you WILL NOT be picking up a book or reading facebook during your shifts and if that's appealing to you honestly please do us a service and seek employment elsewhere.

Cons

I have no complaints. I had a flexible position with benefits and a great team and clients to boot, even the rough ones I had support with and made things better before I left and learned to love each one.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Keep aiming for the goals you have to better your workforce, benefits, and wages.

3. "A great place to learn and serve"

Former Employee - Office Administrator in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Office Administrator in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Special People In Northeast, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission - serving children and young adults with Autism and intellectual disabilities

Offers great pay for the human service field

Meet wonderful, dedicated people

Ability to cross-train and maneuver through the company

Cons

Processes can be antiquated
    Work volume can be overwhelming

5. "DSP"

Current Employee - DSP in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - DSP in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Special People In Northeast, Inc. full-time

Pros

They promote hiring from within.
    Education for staff is very important

Cons

You may get stuck on a shift. We are 24/7.

Advice to Management

Listen

6. "Direct Support Professional"

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Great agency that provides services to adults and children with disabilities. It was my honor and pleasure to work for them for over 15 years. A family oriented agency that treats employees (and those they serve) with dignity, respect, and I can truly say that this was the greatest employment experience that I ever had! S.P.I.N. provides a fun work atmosphere. At S.P.I.N., you will build strong relationships with both the staff and the people that receive services.

Other Pros:
    1) Unionized Shop (at least when I worked there)
    2) Complete training and assistance whenever needed
    3) The potential for longevity - most employees had worked there for over 15 years.
    4) Tuition Reimbursement - for career related coursework.
    5) Opportunity for growth from within as you complete your academic career - they prefer to promote internally for available management positions.
    6) Agency vehicles (for staff) were provided for transportation of residents, for many of the CLA's (Community Living group homes)
    7) Good benefits package
    8) 401 Thrift B (matching) towards retirement
    9) A small company that knows how to dream big!
    10) One of the highest ranking U.S. companies in training excellence

It was not only the best company that I have ever worked for, but it is perhaps the best company of its kind.

Cons

Benefits were good, not great, but were as good, if not better than what any similar agency or company had to offer.

"I honestly love this place"

Current Employee - Program Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Program Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

SPIN has a very supportive environment. The staff and management are encouraging in all aspects of the lives of employees. The senior managers take the time to get to know every employee! Even the CEO speaks to employees by name and builds a rapport with everyone in the company. It is truly like a family atmosphere.

Cons

The only con of working for SPIN in my opinion has been utilizing personal time on days when the office is closed for inclement weather days (that totally sucks).

Advice to Management

I'm very happy with the management in my department. They're very honest and approachable. I honestly couldn't ask for a better team/company to be involved with.

8. "RUN!!!!!"

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Special People In Northeast, Inc. part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You get to help the individuals achieve their goals. I love helping people.

Cons

Management only care about management. Some homes are very dirty with mold and bed bugs. Management play favorites with staff.

Advice to Management

Show more respect and consideration to your staff. Care more about staff safety

9. "if you're willing to sacrifice who you are as person, this is the place for you"

Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Special People In Northeast, Inc. full-time

Pros

The individuals. Working with them or just helping them can bring joy to your day.

Cons

Management...there is no words to describe how inept management is at this organization. There is nepotism, favoritism and hypocritical behavior from the top. Management will ask you to conform and if you don't you will be fired for a trumped up charge. There is a reason why there is such high turn around at SPIN

Advice to Management

Totally re-organize management and bring in new talent.

10. "One of the best places I worked for."

Former Employee - DSP in Lehigh Valley, PA
    Former Employee - DSP in Lehigh Valley, PA

I worked at Special People In Northeast, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The individuals I worked with were awesome. The hours and pay was good ! The managers and supervisors were almost always available to speak with.

Cons

A bit unorganized with shift scheduling and covering. I would get stuck at a location often. Also once you sign on for a permanent shift you are not allowed to change your hours.

Advice to Management

The only advice I give is to try to have more communication between resop and the houses they are finding coverage for.

11. "TSS"

Current Employee - Tss in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Tss in Phila, PA

I have been working at Special People In Northeast, Inc. (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay, benefits if you're a 30 hour employee. Also holiday pay is a plus and you will receive up to 40 hours leave time.

Cons

You're are mandated to call office if your client is out sick to cover for another client. They try to accommodate you to a close location from where you are. However, it depends on the coverage list and you may have to drive a bit far. Also, they make your schedule for you so it's not as flexible as other companies.

Advice to Management

To not micro mange your staff BHRS staff so much. It's pointless to send mundane emails regarding common sense logic regarding the job.