Specialized Bicycle Components Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Specialized Bicycle Components Founder & CEO Mike Sinyard
Mike Sinyard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Lunch rides/lunch yoga/lunch runs/lunch etc (in 24 reviews)

• Great people - your coworkers feel like friends/family (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work / life balance can be tough, but as long as you work hard, play hard you will figure it out (in 13 reviews)

• compensation could be more competitive considering the bay area's cost of living (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morgan Hill, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morgan Hill, CA

I have been working at Specialized Bicycle Components full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to ride bikes at lunch, great co-workers, dogs in the office, fun environment with occasional get togethers and parties, discounts, etc.

Cons

not any major cons for me

Oct 19, 2017 – Teammate Success Specialist

Thanks for your feedback! We work hard to make sure our office is a place where you can work hard and play hard. Glad to hear that you're enjoying the perks and benefits of working at Specialized!... More

2. "Innovate or Die"

Current Employee - CHIEF MARKETING OFFICER in Morgan Hill, CA
    Current Employee - CHIEF MARKETING OFFICER in Morgan Hill, CA

I have been working at Specialized Bicycle Components full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Incredibly fast paced - no boring days
    -Innovative and entrepreneurial - big enough to be innovative but always striving to act small
    -Very connected to our riders and focused on only creating product that provides a true performance benefit - we don't make product that fills shelves.
    -Passionate group of employees
    -Great opportunities to move up in the company as long as you're flexible with your path.
    -Very fair comp within Silicon Valley for most roles

Cons

-Specialized is sometimes referred to as "pressurized" - it's true but if you figure out how to prioritize and show progress on projects, it's not hard to navigate
    -The cycling industry is evolving quickly and there are a lot of fast moving projects going - not a negative, just need to make sure your personality thrives in this arena

Advice to Management

-Be BOLD and confident in your moves. Don't follow.

Oct 18, 2017

Thanks for your feedback. We’re stoked you love working here so much and took the time to share!

I too love working here because no day is the same, and I am always encouraged to find ways to... More

3. "Good Company - Hard Work!"

I worked at Specialized Bicycle Components full-time

Pros

Great team of people! Awesome opportunities!

Cons

Super fast paced! Sometimes feedback isn't considered.

4. "A Company the Cares"

I have been working at Specialized Bicycle Components full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is encouraged

Cons

Internal communication can be week

Advice to Management

Communicate and connect more across the organization.

Oct 18, 2017

Thanks for your feedback! Communication is something we’re working hard to get better at – both sharing the kind of information you want to hear and doing so in a timely manner.

We’re excited to... More

"Relationship Status: It's Complicated"

I have been working at Specialized Bicycle Components full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are amazing! I come to work with the most passionate, laid back yet hard working individuals I've ever met. They inspire me in ways I would have never expected. This is an environment where your co-workers have the potential to become some of your closest relationships that last a lifetime.

If you're a problem solver, you'll love this place. A lot of opportunity to hone in on your skills and get after key business challenges.

Cons

Most leaders don't understand how to lead. It's actually kind of sad because the ones who pay the price here are the amazing people I mention in the "Pros". The biggest offenders here are unfortunately at the executive level.

So focused on speed, people forget about quality.

Change is harder achieved here than I've seen anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Trust your teams. You hired smart people... get out of their way and listen.

Think more deeply about the issues. Speed isn't always your friend.

Everything is not URGENT. Some things (the biggest things actually) require a careful, well-thought-out approach. "Movement" is not the same as "progress".

Reflect on yourselves. Are you what you expect your teams to be? If not - Change. If you don't exhibit the right traits, no one here will.

Nothing can be faked. If it's not genuine, it will fail in an environment as relational as ours.

Oct 18, 2017

Thanks for your feedback on where we are killing and how where we can improve.

I too feel Specialized is truly a work family, and anyone you’ll ask says “the people” are what gives our company... More

6. "Sales Manager/Water Bottle Division"

Former Employee - Sales Manager/Water Bottles in Morgan Hill, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager/Water Bottles in Morgan Hill, CA

I worked at Specialized Bicycle Components full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The management team is very open to feedback with an almost open door policy. Very positive environment pushing creativity and innovation. Heavy financial investment back into the company to push the envelope and stay ahead of the competition. If you have the vision and ability to execute your plan, Management will buy in and support your efforts. Loyalty and effort are rewarded. Those with the right mindset will go far. The top talent comes to Specialized.

Cons

With such a fast past environment, it was difficult to stay on the same page with the overall vision. I could not figure it out, the bigger we got, the more effort it took drive and sync all divisions . We all worked with same passion and drive, but just like like a team time trial, it takes everyone. One broken chain hurts the full effort. Difficult to promote within but many opportunities globally.

Advice to Management

Don't try to force culture, it can develop organically. Give division leaders more autonomy. Middle Managers without work experience in the division they manage should not happen. Winning the lunch ride does not mean you are a manager.

Oct 18, 2017

Hey there – hope you’re doing well in your new endeavors and thanks for taking the time to provide feedback!

I’m so glad you felt comfortable communicating with your team to inspire collective... More

7. "all that glitters is not gold"

I have been working at Specialized Bicycle Components full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the people are great - truly. talented, passionate, smart, and funny. the product is solid and there are plenty of perks if you are a rider - test riding new product, great discounts, etc.

Cons

most people are so overworked, they stop being successful. They either stop caring and survive that way, or they take it out on other people. There is a major lack of understanding from upper management about all the work that needs to occur to put out the fires that start unnecessarily. Often the decision makers do not understand the impact of the decisions they make and rarely - if ever - is the rationale behind why the decision was made explained. This leads to frustration, lack of trust, and high turnover.

Advice to Management

stop running so lean. Put the right people in the right seats. Just because someone has lasted a long time (or their manager quits), does not mean they should be managing people. Actually support people managers. Give them tools and training, not just more work. Don't think a happy hour once a month is enough to make up for all the overwork, stress, and strain.

8. "You better love bicycles for this short term job"

I worked at Specialized Bicycle Components full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you love bicycles it can be a fun place to work

Cons

Cut throat environment. Always being told what you are doing wrong and very little celebration of the successes. Run like a sports team,. You are only as good as your last project. Not a place to spend your career.

Advice to Management

Get out of the ivory tower and see the environment you are competing within

Oct 18, 2017

Thanks for your feedback. We’re sorry to hear that you feel this way about your time at Specialized. We take everyone’s experience here very seriously and we are committed to making our company a... More

9. "Finance"

I worked at Specialized Bicycle Components full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly, young and enthusiastic group of employees that work hard and play hard.

Cons

Management does not hesitate in throwing you under the bus.

Advice to Management

New management needs to show appreciation, not punishment for hard work.

Oct 19, 2017 – Teammate Success Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to leave us some feedback, we are sorry that you didn't have a great experience at Specialized.

We've heard that manager training is something that many of our... More

10. "Fear, Intimidation, Longevity has no reward"

Former Employee - Caller in Morgan Hill, CA
    Former Employee - Caller in Morgan Hill, CA

I worked at Specialized Bicycle Components full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lunch Ride, EP bicycle & equipment purchases. Some great people.

Cons

Successful in spite of themselves. Peter Principle promotion. EGO. EGO. EGO.... did I say EGO.

There is a ton of talent that "speci" people see as A+, but in the real world, outside the bicycle industry bubble they are C- or worse. But EGO that goes to 11. That goes for management, engineering, product, marketing etc.

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter, they have all the answers.

Oct 19, 2017 – Teammate Success Specialist

Thank you for sharing your experience and I'm sorry to hear some of this feedback. We strive to make Specialized a place where all teammates can grow and achieve their career aspirations.

We're... More