Specialized Marketing Services Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gloria M. Robbins

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Specialized Marketing Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great environment and benefits, good team of solid professionals in all areas. Well established family business run on solid family values. Very collaborative philosophy (no working in silos here). Relaxed atmosphere with dynamic and entrepreneurial leadership from the very top, definitely not Corporate America. 100% focus on delivering best service/product to client.

Cons

nothing major that springs to mind

Advice to Management

keep up the good work, very happy here and looking forward to more good years ahead.

"Where do I start, if there were MINUS Star ratings it would be a 10+ zero"

Former Employee - Vice President, Sls, Marketing in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President, Sls, Marketing in Irvine, CA

I worked at Specialized Marketing Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is very good....has to be...there is such high churn....not to mention MANY lawsuits against them.

Cons

I should have realized with the high level of turnover, particularly at senior levels, and the incestuous nature of this family owned business, that it was never going to be a place to hang your hat for very long.

Advice to Management

Get a grip....you treat people with respect...and it comes back to you.

Specialized Marketing Services Response

Jul 11, 2016 – CEO

We appreciate your feedback, and we're sorry your experience with our company was less than positive. While every company has its share of struggles, in our 29 years in business, we have never ... More

3. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Orange, CA

I worked at Specialized Marketing Services (Less than a year)

Pros

I liked all the employee's I worked with and everyone worked together in a very fluid way.

Cons

Worked a like of late nights. Upper management doesn't work together in harmony.

Specialized Marketing Services Response

Jul 11, 2016 – CEO

Thank you! Your feedback is appreciated, and helps us improve as an organization. In any growing company, in any industry, part of the growth process involves changing priorities. Sometimes this ... More

"unsatisfying"

I worked at Specialized Marketing Services full-time

Pros

it was close to my house and you could walk across the street for margaritas.

Cons

The management was very self involved and selfish, the family politics and favoritism along with outlandish requests made for a very hostile work environment.

Advice to Management

Have some faith in your staff, and give them the proper support they need instead of betraying them.

"The worst experience of my career."

I worked at Specialized Marketing Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to working here.

Cons

I could go on and on, but here are some highlights...first and foremost, their ownership/senior managers have no idea what they are doing, and worse, do not (or even will not) communicate with one another, so they are rarely even on the same page during what few projects they actually have. As a result you can expect to work ridiculously long hours just to have everything changed at the last possible moment due to their inability to make any kind of a decision. You can also expect to be bullied, berated, and belittled because you were not good enough at reading their minds or correctly interpreting their lack of direction to you. Combine this with the blamethrowing, combative corporate culture they've created and you'll see why they have such ludicrously high CLIENT and employee turnover.

Advice to Management

None. They really don't care about their people, and it goes without saying (but I'll say it anyways) the business. It's truly shameful.

7. "Fast-Paced environment, good for those who bore easily"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Specialized Marketing Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, cool clients, fun custom projects/challenges

Cons

Management leads by fear, very demeaning and rude. Countless hours of unpaid overtime since everyone is a "manager". Employees are not empowered to make decisions. No one is considerate of anyone's time and works to own beat. Too many meetings.

Advice to Management

Figure out that the president and CFO hate each other and that the regular employees have to deal with the politics more than the actual work - cut the fat and you might see more revenue coming in.

"There is never a dull moment and I like the interesting challenging work enviornment that includes some good mentors."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

Pros

There is some major talent here at SMS. While not everyone always agrees on the best way to do things, they come together to form a strategic business plan or marketing campaign that blowss the competition away. Gloria Robbins has done an amazing job of creating a full service company where a client can come and be taken care of from start to finish, and trust that it will be done right. What I find refreshing is that on the rare occasion when something has gone wrong, SMS, unlike other companies, takes full responsibility. They don't make excuses, they figure out how to fix it and make it right. I have full medical and dental benefits here along with a 401K plan. In addition, the pay is very competitive. We have recently aquired a couple of great new clients and in this economy that is very encouraging, so I hope to have this my position or another one in this company for a long time.

Cons

Yes, it's true that we do work long hours if there is a deadline that we need to meet. However, I don't see that as a con. It isn't every night or even every week, but when we promise something to our clients we have to deliver or we won't have jobs. While I may not always agree with management, who does? There are always some people you get along with better then others, it's just the way it is. I don't enjoy working with every person at SMS, that doesn't mean they don't bring something valuable to the table.

Advice to Management

I would like more regular reviews.

"Also felt micro managed and under appreciated"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

Pros

Great for junior level wanting to learn marketing - specifically direct and only plan on staying in a job for a yeAr tops.

Cons

High employee churn, and high client churn. Micro managed, poorly managed, no creative vision, lead with fear and intimidation, no reviews, very long nights if there is any kind of deadline, too many cooks in the kitchen and too many conflicting opinions. Employees are never empowered to make decisions. Never any praise or incentive for good work, zero employee development.

Advice to Management

No because they will never change.

"Felt micro-managed and underappreciated"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Santa Ana, CA

Pros

Working at SMS will definately prepare to work in Marketing. I would compare it to bootcamp. You might be completely miserable when you are ther but you will appreciate all you learned for the rest of your career.

Cons

It feels like the company wants everything from you and gives very little back in the way of compensation, benefits, time off. Also when there is a deliverable due you can count on staying till 9 or 10 about 80% of the time.

Advice to Management

Perhaps the President should not art direct and should not micro manage the projects.