SpecialtyCare Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mel Hall

Pros
  • I guess if you absolutely need a job, they will hire anyone for the Richmond, VA area (in 3 reviews)

• This is a great place to learn new technology from (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Is it because they are such a great company to work for or is it because no one wants to work for them (in 6 reviews)

• Absolutely no upward mobility and high turnover should clue anyone in that it's a toxic place to work (in 4 reviews)

1. "Decent Company, but little upward mobility"

Current Employee - Technician in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technician in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SpecialtyCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, Positive Working Environment

Cons

Top Heavy Management, Salary Middle of Road, No Advancement, General Management Disconnect.

Advice to Management

General Disconnect between Upper and Middle Management. Obvious venture capitalist owned, as salary/rewards do not benefit the rank and file workers.

2. "Leadership/Management will take advantage of you.."

Former Employee - Perfusionist in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Perfusionist in Richmond, VA

I worked at SpecialtyCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can't really think of any Pros for working with this company. I guess if you absolutely need a job, they will hire anyone for the Richmond, VA area.

Cons

Interview process is a joke. They ask zero questions that pertain to your past or education, they drop you off in a surgery and take you out to dinner that night. If they "like" you - you are hired. They will hire you management thinks they can take advantage of you.

Offer:
    Offers at this company are low. They will promise you the world but never deliver. They actually stopped matching 401K b/c they were off "budget" that year. That tells you that the company is only worried about their pockets.

Team
    There never really is a team here. No one sticks around long enough to get to know anyone. The only people that stick around are the ones that get special attention for doing the "Clinical Managers" job.

On Call
    On call is a nightmare. Clinical Manager doesn't take call b/c shes too busy walking around the hospital or taking care of her personal life. With the high number of people leaving this place "ALL THE TIME" you are stuck with their call. When you are hired they tell you 25% call. I've never seen less than 60% call. They actually have a 3rd call so that the lazy manager can say she takes call (when there is no chance you will get called in since there is only one surgical team on call). The 5 week call schedule comes out the night of or the night after the prior one ends. How are you supposed to plan anything.

Year end review
    Your raise is based on factors that you can not control. If you used too much product in a surgery (keep in mind, each patient is different and might need it) then you get dinged. A lot of dings, you get a bad raise. Dumb...

Management and Senior Management
    They are only worried about budget. They will lie to you over and over again. They look out for themselves. They will expect you to work 20 hour days and ask you not to say anything. They take advantage of their power and employees. Its just sad.

I really could go on. To anyone considering a position in Richmond VA, please ask a lot of questions. Get everything in writing, b/c believe me they lie.

Advice to Management

Hire enough people to do the work. Give employees a better work/life ratio.
    Stop taking advantage of the people under you.
    Stop making team norms to benefit your personal life.
    Restructure management. Two managers and a senior managers is too many for such a small account.
    Do your Job!!

3. "A great opportunity for those looking to gain experience prior to Med/PA/or RN school."

Current Employee - Cardiovascular Monitoring Technician in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Cardiovascular Monitoring Technician in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at SpecialtyCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We are a vital role in the OR where we become comfortable with the different roles of those in the OR and learn how to act in life and death emergencies. It is an experience not many people are able to see.

Cons

There is little respect from corporate even though they require a 4 year degree to work at the highest grossing branch, while paying more to other technicians without a 4 year degree at other branches who do a fraction of the work done here in Minneapolis. It feels like we are college students doing an internship, even though that was many years ago for some of us.

5. "?"

Current Employee - Clinical Technician Autotransfusionist in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Clinical Technician Autotransfusionist in Silver Spring, MD

Pros

Incentives, foot in the door

Cons

Long hours, travel, on call on pto

Advice to Management

Increase pay

"Leadership"

Former Employee - Leadership in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Leadership in Nashville, TN

I worked at SpecialtyCare (More than 8 years)

Pros

Field staff are a great group of dedicated people who usually work long hours providing quality care to their patients.

Cons

Field staff are usually unappreciated by those in corporate who have never been involved in direct patient care.

Advice to Management

Listen to the field staff. Not all of their issues are frivolous.

7. "Director of Operations"

Current Employee - Director of Operations in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Director of Operations in Miami, FL

I have been working at SpecialtyCare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Growing company with lots of opportunity

Cons

none at this time. They continue to make strides in improving brand

8. "Work anyplace but with this company"

Current Employee - Perfusionist in Nash, TX
    Current Employee - Perfusionist in Nash, TX

I have been working at SpecialtyCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They're networked for databases, preferred providers, accredited, and provide many other services. If you're a hospital, this is a good choice.

Cons

Underpaid, there's not enough staff to take vacation, they did away with the pto for cash, expect to lose your pto days and management only cares about making budget.

Advice to Management

Make management cover pto days; penalize them if they can't meet the pto days of it's employees, Take care of your employees with higher pay and planned time off or you will continue to lose more employees.

9. "They bought us out and dragged us down"

Former Employee - Clinical Neurophysiologist in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Clinical Neurophysiologist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at SpecialtyCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Minimal involvement of overseeing neurologists compared with other companies. Salary was good but that was largely a holdover from when they bought out the original company.

Cons

Originally worked for Surgical Monitoring Associates out side of Philadelphia. Specialty care bought SMA in 2011 and proceeded to ruin it. They didn't kill it in one fell swoop but rather death by a thousand cuts. Every week things got a little bit worse. In about 6 months people started leaving. Within a year or two, less than half of the neurophysiologists who were on staff when Specialty Care bought us were still there. That included a lot of the division leaders and team leaders.

Advice to Management

If it isn't broken, don't try to "fix" it. Whatever money you saved by screwing with your employees was more than made up for by all the costs of finding and training new people.

"CLINICAL SUPERVISOR"

Former Employee - Clinical Supervisor/Account Manager/Lead Clinical Technician in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at SpecialtyCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

SPECIALTYCARE WAS A GREAT COMPANY TO WORK FOR, Working in many Hospitals in NY with a fantastic group of dedicated health care professionals . both within the company and in all the hospitals.

Cons

The Upward mobility is very slow and the pay scale is just as slow.

Advice to Management

As a Team leader I listen to my coworkers and addressed the concerned, I found the passing on the good complements as well of the bad helped with the overall performance of the company's ,Assistance in the hospital

11. "The Absolute Worst"

Former Employee - Perfusionist in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Perfusionist in Nashville, TN

I worked at SpecialtyCare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have absolutely nothing positive to say about this company. The 5 star ratings on here are from individuals that work for the human resources department attempting to balance the negative feedback, and that's where the actual people that did the work come in to let you all know, don't waste five minutes of your time considering this as an actual employer.

Cons

On call - You work when called to do so, you won't know if you'll be working for 8 hours or 5 minutes.

Travel will rack up those miles on your vehicle.

Company lies about salary, you will not make as advertised.

Provision payments agreement is sheer con-artistry. If you are to be terminated without being laid off, you must owe costs that total AT LEAST $15,000.00. I don't know what year Specialty Care thinks were living in, but the average American doesn't have that kind of money lying around. This agreement is a slap to the face to any hard-working individuals and once the 3 years this contract is good for are up, you can be sure the smart employees will escape this toxic environment. People go to work to make money, not put their funds at risk. This is an at-will employer so your supervisor could fire you just because he doesn't like the way you look, and guess what that mean? Pay up. Even though the contract doesn't specify whether you need to sign it or not to be eligible for hire, the recruiters will be happy to let you know that you must sign it to be employed and that the contract is non-negotiable. There's nothing saving you from being hired one day, fired the next, and then paying anywhere between $15,000 to $30,000.

Advice to Management

Sink or swim. On the current path this establishment is on, I expect that Specialty Care will not be around for much longer. You leave applicants sitting around for an eternity before letting them know they have the job or not, trying to contact an HR representative is like trying to catch a leprechaun. They might call you back if you call them 10 times in a row, but otherwise they cower from their responsibilities.