SpecialtyCare Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mel Hall

Pros
  • I guess if you absolutely need a job, they will hire anyone for the Richmond, VA area (in 3 reviews)

• This is a great place to learn new technology from (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Is it because they are such a great company to work for or is it because no one wants to work for them (in 6 reviews)

• Disconnect from Upper Management and Lower Management (in 4 reviews)

1. "Decent Company, but little upward mobility"

Current Employee - Technician in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technician in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SpecialtyCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, Positive Working Environment

Cons

Top Heavy Management, Salary Middle of Road, No Advancement, General Management Disconnect.

Advice to Management

General Disconnect between Upper and Middle Management. Obvious venture capitalist owned, as salary/rewards do not benefit the rank and file workers.

2. "SpecialtyCare Invented the Sunday Scaries"

Current Employee - Cardiovascular Technologist in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Cardiovascular Technologist in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at SpecialtyCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers are great. We help each other find new jobs and emotionally support each other. Great way to get clinical experience between undergrad and nursing/PA/med school, however, this has nothing to do with the company. I would actually advise anyone in the Twin Cities area who is looking to gain clinical experience to apply as a scribe at HCMC or work as a nursing assistant. You will probably make more than the $13/hr SpecialtyCare pays.

Cons

No raises despite increased workload and productivity. They may lead you to believe you're getting a raise but really they just shuffle money around. After months of promising "more competitive pay," they presented a new pay scale that resulted in over half the employees losing money, with some losing more than $3,000/year. If you're thinking of accepting a position at SpecCare, listen to everyone else. Don't put yourself through it. Know your worth. YOU CAN DO BETTER!!!!!

Advice to Management

Stop adding unnecessary middle management positions. Instead, use this money to pay to employees better. Listen to your employees. They are more intimately involved with many of the day to day activities.

3. "Leadership/Management will take advantage of you.."

Former Employee - Perfusionist in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Perfusionist in Richmond, VA

I worked at SpecialtyCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can't really think of any Pros for working with this company. I guess if you absolutely need a job, they will hire anyone for the Richmond, VA area.

Cons

Interview process is a joke. They ask zero questions that pertain to your past or education, they drop you off in a surgery and take you out to dinner that night. If they "like" you - you are hired. They will hire you management thinks they can take advantage of you.

Offer:
    Offers at this company are low. They will promise you the world but never deliver. They actually stopped matching 401K b/c they were off "budget" that year. That tells you that the company is only worried about their pockets.

Team
    There never really is a team here. No one sticks around long enough to get to know anyone. The only people that stick around are the ones that get special attention for doing the "Clinical Managers" job.

On Call
    On call is a nightmare. Clinical Manager doesn't take call b/c shes too busy walking around the hospital or taking care of her personal life. With the high number of people leaving this place "ALL THE TIME" you are stuck with their call. When you are hired they tell you 25% call. I've never seen less than 60% call. They actually have a 3rd call so that the lazy manager can say she takes call (when there is no chance you will get called in since there is only one surgical team on call). The 5 week call schedule comes out the night of or the night after the prior one ends. How are you supposed to plan anything.

Year end review
    Your raise is based on factors that you can not control. If you used too much product in a surgery (keep in mind, each patient is different and might need it) then you get dinged. A lot of dings, you get a bad raise. Dumb...

Management and Senior Management
    They are only worried about budget. They will lie to you over and over again. They look out for themselves. They will expect you to work 20 hour days and ask you not to say anything. They take advantage of their power and employees. Its just sad.

I really could go on. To anyone considering a position in Richmond VA, please ask a lot of questions. Get everything in writing, b/c believe me they lie.

Advice to Management

Hire enough people to do the work. Give employees a better work/life ratio.
    Stop taking advantage of the people under you.
    Stop making team norms to benefit your personal life.
    Restructure management. Two managers and a senior managers is too many for such a small account.
    Do your Job!!

"A great opportunity for those looking to gain experience prior to Med/PA/or RN school."

Current Employee - Cardiovascular Monitoring Technician in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Cardiovascular Monitoring Technician in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at SpecialtyCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We are a vital role in the OR where we become comfortable with the different roles of those in the OR and learn how to act in life and death emergencies. It is an experience not many people are able to see.

Cons

There is little respect from corporate even though they require a 4 year degree to work at the highest grossing branch, while paying more to other technicians without a 4 year degree at other branches who do a fraction of the work done here in Minneapolis. It feels like we are college students doing an internship, even though that was many years ago for some of us.

6. "?"

Current Employee - Clinical Technician Autotransfusionist in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Clinical Technician Autotransfusionist in Silver Spring, MD

Pros

Incentives, foot in the door

Cons

Long hours, travel, on call on pto

Advice to Management

Increase pay

"Leadership"

Former Employee - Leadership in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Leadership in Nashville, TN

I worked at SpecialtyCare (More than 8 years)

Pros

Field staff are a great group of dedicated people who usually work long hours providing quality care to their patients.

Cons

Field staff are usually unappreciated by those in corporate who have never been involved in direct patient care.

Advice to Management

Listen to the field staff. Not all of their issues are frivolous.

8. "Director of Operations"

Current Employee - Director of Operations in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Director of Operations in Miami, FL

I have been working at SpecialtyCare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Growing company with lots of opportunity

Cons

none at this time. They continue to make strides in improving brand

9. "Work anyplace but with this company"

Current Employee - Perfusionist in Nash, TX
    Current Employee - Perfusionist in Nash, TX

I have been working at SpecialtyCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They're networked for databases, preferred providers, accredited, and provide many other services. If you're a hospital, this is a good choice.

Cons

Underpaid, there's not enough staff to take vacation, they did away with the pto for cash, expect to lose your pto days and management only cares about making budget.

Advice to Management

Make management cover pto days; penalize them if they can't meet the pto days of it's employees, Take care of your employees with higher pay and planned time off or you will continue to lose more employees.

10. "They bought us out and dragged us down"

Former Employee - Clinical Neurophysiologist in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Clinical Neurophysiologist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at SpecialtyCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Minimal involvement of overseeing neurologists compared with other companies. Salary was good but that was largely a holdover from when they bought out the original company.

Cons

Originally worked for Surgical Monitoring Associates out side of Philadelphia. Specialty care bought SMA in 2011 and proceeded to ruin it. They didn't kill it in one fell swoop but rather death by a thousand cuts. Every week things got a little bit worse. In about 6 months people started leaving. Within a year or two, less than half of the neurophysiologists who were on staff when Specialty Care bought us were still there. That included a lot of the division leaders and team leaders.

Advice to Management

If it isn't broken, don't try to "fix" it. Whatever money you saved by screwing with your employees was more than made up for by all the costs of finding and training new people.

"CLINICAL SUPERVISOR"

Former Employee - Clinical Supervisor/Account Manager/Lead Clinical Technician in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at SpecialtyCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

SPECIALTYCARE WAS A GREAT COMPANY TO WORK FOR, Working in many Hospitals in NY with a fantastic group of dedicated health care professionals . both within the company and in all the hospitals.

Cons

The Upward mobility is very slow and the pay scale is just as slow.

Advice to Management

As a Team leader I listen to my coworkers and addressed the concerned, I found the passing on the good complements as well of the bad helped with the overall performance of the company's ,Assistance in the hospital