Specific Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Specific Media President and CEO Tim Vanderhook
Tim Vanderhook

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Churn and deficiencies across groups (in 2 reviews)

• Our alumni simply can't believe the decline of such a lush high end high tech environment to what it has become as of 2013 (in 2 reviews)

1. "Delivery Analyst"

I worked at Specific Media full-time

Pros

People are really nice. Mid-level managers are fantastic.

Cons

Slow growth at the company. No budgets for anyone outside of Sales. Low salaries. Senior-level managers don't really pay attention to lower-echelon workers

2. "Director"

Pros

Friendly work environment and perks

Cons

Churn and deficiencies across groups.

Advice to Management

Career development to promote talent from within

3. "The good, the ugly"

I worked at Specific Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefit, good pay, free soda

Cons

If you have a problem w/ the management, then you're screwed

4. "Account specialist support"

Pros

It will be a good fit to you if you love advertising

Cons

Theres no cons working on this company

Advice to Management

N/a

"Campaign Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Specific Media full-time

Pros

Fully filled kitchen with several snacks and drinks, nintendo 64, young people (20's) environment, the office was visually appealing, beer in the fridge for fridays. Co-workers are encouraging and always lend a helping hand to help you learn because youre all lost together.

Cons

I'm writing this after reading about the trafficker posted on 1/13/16 about their time with the company because I can completely agree with their review on all bases.

Youre expected to work around the clock, 24/7 literally. Holidays, weekends, etc. The sales people are always over your shoulder (virtually) and depending on the region you'll have several of them to work for making the workload stressful. I have never had this much stress or less sleep even in college. I was in my early 20's working here and did notice the work was affecting me emotionally. My friends were noticing my bad behavior as well. My body was reacting to the level of stress from this job. I would come home just upset and mentally and physically drained. I understand that the workload is a lot but alleviate it on your poor employees who are actually doing the optimizing so they can efficiently manage these campaigns, that is why the turn over here is so high. Hire more people (that would stay, luckily) instead of piling on the work.

And then come the end of the month when billing is due is the most stressed because you have to complete that on top of hoping your campaigns are in pace to deliver in full before the clock strikes midnight on the very last day of the month. Expect to stay there until midnight constantly optimizing.

Advice to Management

work : life ratio = 0.

"It's been years since I left and I still feel passionate enough to share.."

Former Employee - Ad Trafficker/Account Manager in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Ad Trafficker/Account Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Specific Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Met some awesome people ( though we don't stay in touch now ), learned to read some HTML which set me up for learning more in the future, and great office location.

Cons

So I worked at Specific Media quite a while ago.. before Glassdoor was ever really a useful tool for new recruits. With that said, I was reading some reviews today on Specific Media because an email alert came into my inbox about a new review that was posted. I figured I would see if anything had changed since I left...it didn't.

The review from Nov 19, 2015 from the Account Manager in NY inspired me to write my own version of the EXACT same story. Mind you, I was in the IRVINE office so this culture is permeating through their entire company.

To use his/her exact words. because I couldn't articulate it in another way and make it more clear:

"Working at Specific Media was one of the most stressful periods of my life. The company encourages absolutely no work/life balance. I was expected to be available 24 hours a day including holidays and weekends. The environment is extremely cliquey and the people who are promoted quickly are the ones who are favored by top management" < -- also I would add this: Those who are promoted up the ladder (not lateral promotions to other roles) are typically friends with the management team.

With regard to it being one of the most stressful periods of my life. I was in my early twenties, we're talking 21 / 22 / 23 at the time. My body was actually responding to the level of stress I was experience. My girlfriend (now wife) was noticing my behavior was different. My roommate / best friend hated that I was miserable all the time and didn't ever want to do anything. It was seriously awful.

During my time at Specific Media I moved from Ad Trafficker to Account Manager. They moved me along for two reasons. One was because I showed interest in it, and two was do to a position opening up do to churn... which really is no surprise. To illustrate one clear example of how they treat their employees let me explain how that transition happened. During the transition they moved from an hourly position to a salaried one. The management team tried to convince me that I would make bonuses every QUARTER (that's once every 3 months just to be clear) and therefore I shouldn't receive a pay increase despite being asked to essentially be available 24/7. This means that I would have to leave my hourly position where I made around 33,000 / year at the time without overtime, to a salaried position for the same wage and work longer hours more often for an opportunity to receive a bonus once every three months. Apparently they thought I was an idiot. I didn't accept the offer until the adjust my pay, and my reasons were clear. I explained that instead of taking the new position I could make that "bonus" money by working an extra 1 to 2 hours of overtime per week for three months and still have the luxury of not being "on call" 24/7... dumb dumb dumb.

Maybe they didn't think I was a good fit for their company and that's fine, it happens sometimes. But I'll tell you what... on my last day one of the senior managers said "oh wow I wish we could have found you a role that fit your passion" ... nicest thing anyone ever said to me while I was there. To bad it wasn't until the moment I walked out the door forever.

Anyway. I'll stop raining down negativity now, but thank you to that person who wrote their review November 19, 2015 it really inspired me to share my feelings too.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring kids out of college who you don't expect to know what a good work life balance is. Don't try to woo them with parties and special outings rather than happy and enjoyable work. If you want a sustainable and efficient growth in your future, find some people to inspire your employees, but first YOU need to inspire them. Reignite what it means to work for Specific Media and what the company stands for... if it stands for anything other than parties and whatever it is you want to do next. Start believing in something more than being a "player" in the space your in. Share your vision and see if it resonates with your employees, if they believe in your vision they'll be happier to work for you.

With that said, you'll also need to treat employees like they actually know something. Perhaps take some time to teach them about what's happening in the industry and how Specific Media makes a difference. Also, if the majority of the employees don't start to feel you appreciate them (monetarily speaking) then you'll never get the quality employees to continue working for you.

"Worse Management ever..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

Pros

Dynamic industry, great location and nice office space.

Cons

No real business direction, owners run their own show, corporate training is absent, company functions are not well managed and lack direction and alignment.

"APPLICANTS BEWARE"

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Specific Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people who work there are young so it's a good opportunity to make some great friends. However, most of the bounding occurs when complaining about how bad the company is.

Cons

Let me start off by saying that this is my first review, and normally I wouldn't post a review. However, I know for a fact that a lot of the posts on this site from Specific Media are from the internal marketing department.
    Working at Specific Media was one of the most stressful periods of my life. The company encourages absolutely no work/life balance. I was expected to be available 24 hours a day including holidays and weekends. When we were not in the office the only socializing that was encouraged after work was with clients.

The environment is extremely cliquey and the people who are promoted quickly are the ones who are favored by top management. Intelligence isn't something that is valued at Specific Media on the sales side. Those who succeed are usually the best looking and loudest in the room.

The Account Managers who are salary plus commission are never paid in full. On the Ad Ops side those bonus checks that are promised never end up coming. I have heard from several people within the industry that Specific Media is a sinking ship and the investors are no longer giving them money.

Advice to Management

Pay your people and try to keep the smart people who are quickly abandoning the company as quickly as possible.

"Specific Media Review"

I have been working at Specific Media full-time

Pros

Really great work atmosphere and a fun industry

Cons

No downsides to working here at this time.

"Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Specific Media (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to intern at the is very invested in your development- will throw large client projects at you. Trains you in salesforce and other programs

Cons

I wish interned headquarters office to gain for exposure to the entire business side