Speck Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Irene Baran

1. "Great company company to work for!"

I have been working at Speck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management does a great job of keeping things fun and engaging. The ever-changing landscape of mobile devices means we never stop working on the next big project. Despite the busy environment, the company firmly believes in a healthy work/life balance

Cons

Sometimes things can lack a bit of structure, which results in some people working significantly harder than others. Limited upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Sometimes I feel they need more specific goal setting and performance measurement.

2. "great people, good work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Great people who work hard
    No drama ever
    Teams worked together
    We got stuff done!

Cons

Business struggled tremendously, month after month sales were bad.

3. "Supply Chain Mgr"

Former Employee - Senior Supply Chain Material Planner/Systems Integration Specialist in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Speck (More than a year)

Pros

Family! One of the two employers over my career (24+years in supply chain) I consider family. They truly were a fine group of individuals, quality character, personalities, productive, smiles for days! I enjoyed my time with them and appreciate the opportunity. *just a note, I was there from 2010-2011.

Cons

I have nothing to say regarding this. There was no cons at this company. Nothing but positive every day from the leader down. Irene rocks and always was nothing but positive. She's an awesome leader!

Advice to Management

Continue what you're doing. Quality individuals. Solid balance of work life/personal life. Taking care of your employees like you do and continue providing solid attention to detail when it comes to reviewing employees.

5. "Fast, Creative, Fun and Rewarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Speck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's amazing how welcoming and friendly the entire team is. I've been with Speck for a year and I felt like I found my home my first day walking into "Our Not so Corporate Headquarters". Regardless of your position, your can have access to anyone at any level at Speck. Your ideas are encouraged and opinions are listened to. They encourage fun and balance along with results. I feel like Speck offers great creativity and freedom to make an impact and create your legacy. The people are awesome!

Cons

The industry and pace are not for the slow or rigid; be prepared to adapt, change, and grow.

Advice to Management

Maintaining the balance between our laid back and creative culture and drive for results can be difficult. Keep raising the bar and expecting more, don't let us get too comfortable. Continue to encourage fun, inquisitiveness, flexibility, and transparency across Speck.

"Strong Field Marketing Program"

Pros

- Flexible work schedule
    - Company provides proper resources to execute retail programs

Cons

- Limited opportunities for promotion
    - Field work can feel like an afterthought

Advice to Management

Look for different ways to involve the Field Marketing team

7. "Work Hard, Play Hard"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Speck full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Speck is a fantastic place to work. Most days I am wake up excited to come to come in, it helps being surrounded by incredibly intelligent, tenacious and creative people. It is a constant source of inspiration. Watching your colleagues dedicate so much of themselves pushes me to do better. Due to the nature of the business it teaches you to be quick on your feet and able to react in the moment, there is little down time but if you thrive in a fast paced environment then its a an excellent place to be

Cons

Every office has its frustrations, communications sometimes breaks down, deadlines get tight but I can truthfully say these are far less of an issue at Speck then I have experienced elsewhere

8. "An Enjoyable Experience."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Great upper management in almost all departments. You get to work with truly talented people. The products are well designed.

Cons

The company grew quickly so naturally there were some growing pains

"Fun atmosphere, great people"

I have been working at Speck full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- free snacks
    - great bonuses
    - fun, hard-working people
    - bagel friday!
    - management is very approachable
    - work/life balance strongly encouraged

Cons

- strategy doesn't trickle down past senior leadership
    - promotions are given to those who yell the loudest, not necessarily most deserving

Advice to Management

Samsonite cut a lot of good employees. Most people love working at Speck, though don't lose the great talent left by ignoring that everyone is doing extra work without extra compensation or support.

"Great brand, product and group."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Speck full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great brand, with truly excellent products and a good group of people who largely care about one another. The CEO is exceptional and it was a great pleasure working for her.

Cons

Management was uneven, timelines for form-fit accessories can be very demanding, cases are a crowded market to compete in.

Advice to Management

Senior management should address dysfunction that is brought up to them. Several fairly major management problems were left unaddressed for too long.

11. "high energy company"

I worked at Speck full-time

Pros

bright and vibrant culture, has got the energy of a startup venture, places importance on work-life balance and tries to incorporate/celebrate employee force uniqueness.

Cons

mentality of a start up to match the energy, fractured communication and collaboration between departments,

Advice to Management

Transform the culture to one of creative/innovative collaboration between ALL departments - there is not much ego and division and it is hindering progress.