Specsavers Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Specsavers Chairman and Managing Director Doug Perkins
Doug Perkins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good team, Manager could be a bit annoying at times (in 9 reviews)

• Free glasses, occasional certificated for hard work of Dame Mary Perkins who otherwise has no clue what goes on within her stores (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The level of skills and knowledge needed for a role which pays minimum wage is ridiculous, should be paying staff more (in 14 reviews)

• Management has their favourites, where certain members of staff get away with treating others terribly- customers and colleagues (in 6 reviews)

1. "Customer service manager"

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Portsmouth, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Portsmouth, VA

I worked at Specsavers part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company, excellent customers care

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

I'm a highly motivated, have great customer skill, and am able to adapt to any situation.

2. "Demand planning Manager Europe"

Current Employee - Demand Planning Manager Europe in Guernsey, OH
    Current Employee - Demand Planning Manager Europe in Guernsey, OH

I have been working at Specsavers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family orientated organisation, that cares about its employees. Good benefits and good communication concerning the direction of the company to staff

Cons

Although flexible and progressive, a poor record of IT support and system integration within the business, therefore challenges arise over IT/system suppply chain

Advice to Management

A more cohesive program/ project roll out, taking into account all strategic areas of the business, in order to drive improvements through more effectively

3. "Diverse, enjoyable, rewarding work, could provide more thorough training."

Former Employee - Optical Assistant
    Former Employee - Optical Assistant

Pros

Interesting work, good benefits, management tries to be accommodating as much as possible, opportunities for career development.

Cons

Could provide more thorough training, minimum wage.

4. "Specsavers is the best"

I worked at Specsavers part-time

Pros

Specsavers is a kind and friendly place to work

Cons

There are no cons

5. "one of the better part time jobs out there"

I worked at Specsavers part-time

Pros

very happy workplace with rewards for hard work and help when you need it

Cons

there is a lot to learn when you first start which can feel overwhelming

6. "Good structure and benefits - experience varies with franchise"

Current Employee - Optical Assisntant in Lancaster, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Optical Assisntant in Lancaster, England (UK)

I have been working at Specsavers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Franchised model so more bespoke management, keen on training so career development opportunities readily available.

Cons

Often lower paid than similar companies, this can vary by franchise

7. "Great for students"

Current Employee - Optical Assistant in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Optical Assistant in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Specsavers part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of learning opportunities in store, and staff may opt to pursue a certificate 4 in dispensing.

Staff perks on glasses and contacts.

Cons

Stores are inconsistent with management policies. Specsavers has now become so retail based that optical dispensing skills are not being taught. Instead, dispensers are expected to rely on an ipad without understanding how to troubleshoot properly.

Advice to Management

Teach staff how to conduct several tasks manually in the event of the ipad going offline and being unavailable.

8. "Dispening Optician and Store Manager."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Stroud, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Stroud, England (UK)

I have been working at Specsavers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great training possibilities and career advancement. It is a company that has amazing vision and values and ensures to treat all staff with respect.

Cons

Stores can be extremely busy and can be stressful at times.

"It has a bad 'rep' amongst the optical world, which is really unjust."

I have been working at Specsavers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have great training opportunities, no matter how experienced your are.
    There is: instore training, away days for training with other employees from diff stores, and my favourite tool - ILearn.

I learn is an online learning forum, where you can learn everything about Specsavers, their products, services, skills. You can even access it at home. So a newbie can go online and learn about frame adjustments, about how lenses work etc. and a new but experienced member of staff can use it to learn about Specsavers lens specifications, the Hearcare services and procedures and protocols. It's very easy to use. And its yours to use to assist you to develop yourself as you wish. They are supportive of growth of you and your skills.

The products are of great quality, just because they are cheaper does not mean they are sub-standard as other opticians will have you believe.

You can work here offering products at great prices and not feel like you are robbing them. You have offered a great product at a fair price, its a good feeling, esp if you've worked at the higher priced stores in the past and felt like you literally robbed the elderly lady sat in front of you of most of her pension for a pair of simple reading glasses in your last job.

Cons

We are often the subject to abusive and aggressive customers, who talk to us like rubbish. They think that as our products are priced low that it means that they can behave towards us like we have a low or no value too. Its soul-destroying at times. To the point where other customers are commenting about the appalling manner in which we are being spoken to by the public.

When Headoffice get a complaint from a customer, they tend to send emails or phone with basically this mentallity ' just do what the customer wants, they are always right' This is outdated behaviour. Most of the time they promise the customer what they want without even ringing the store to find out what happened/occurred. We are on the frontline. We don't want to lose sales or customers. So why are we not acting like a TEAM? We should be contacted and consulted before they promise that customer a resolution. We don't want those aggressive, rude customers back in the store, its alright for you on the end of the phone being shouted at, But we have them shouting in our faces, aggressive hand/arms movements, snide audiable comments under their breath, them slating us off further to any other customers within ear shot (its embarrassing) and the uncertainty of being attacked. And i have been attacked by a customer, as he didn't want to wait in line to be seen to.

Advice to Management

It is the only thing that i think is wrong with the company. Staff should never be spoken/shouted at aggressively. Other places of work display posters stating that they will not tolerate abusive/aggressive customers/patients.

You see warning posters about customers behaviour in A+E, doctors surgeries, dentists, in many various shops and even on buses. Wherever there is a customer service aspect of the service. Others have a NON-Tolerance policy to aggressive behaviour or shouting at staff.
    Where management are based in professional parts of country where people are conducting their lives in a professional way, ie in the centre of London, where its mainly office workers/bankers etc you will seldom see someone 'lose it'. But stores based in the hearts of communities that are challenging areas' go through hell, and i don't think they really appreciate the levels that their staff are enduring. There needs to be a no raised voice policy and posters displayed in waiting areas and at reception desks - we are worthy of that aren't we?

You are losing prospective employees, who would be fabulous assets to your company to ever joining Specsavers and also leaving stores because of this. Good staff will go where they are treated with respect and without fear of having to deal with incidents like this.

Customers who are aggressive also spoil the experience for other clients who witness it . It makes their experience feel like they are in a substandard environment like walking into a rowdy pub and devalues our service. It makes people feel like the stores in these communities are only for the 'riff-raff' (because we are cheaper than the competition and of no value) and not for respectable members of our community, they want the great value for money and service we offer, but they don't want to have to deal with undesirables, anymore than we do. You are losing potential customers.

Please recognize the amazing staff you have, actively show your support, bring in policies and protocols for such situations that protect the staff member , NOT the sale, put up signs/leaflets and protection of them. And elevate the Specsavers brand, as somewhere that will not tolerate abuse of its employees.

Happy, supported staff = productive stores, great sales and wonderful experiences for your customers.

10. "Optical assistant"

I worked at Specsavers full-time

Pros

Good training, good bonus scheme

Cons

Basic pay but nothing else

Advice to Management

None