Spectra Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Spectra Energy Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Greg Ebel
Greg Ebel
1 Rating

Pros
  • Work Life Balance is exceptional (in 23 reviews)

• Positive work environment with great people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor transparency, no room for employee development (in 5 reviews)

• People spend more time finding reasons and excuses to not work than actually working, especially in Services Supply Chain (in 5 reviews)

"If you like to get paid 33% below market value, work here."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spectra Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. 9/80 schedule.
    2. 3 weeks vacation right off the bat.

Cons

1. They pay dramatically less then market value. I have friends in both engineering and accounting that get paid 30-40K less then market value, and I myself get paid 20-24K less then market value.

2. There is no way to measure success here, those who join the LDN and make friends with high ups get promoted, others who don't and work hard, stay in the same position without raises forever.

3. Even when there is a horrible manager in a group, upper management refuses to move them, they just send said manager to all kinds of "sensitivity training" that does nothing to improve anyone's situation.

4. They say Spectra is the 7th best place to work in Houston, TX. If this is true, I am truly appalled at how terrible it is to work in Houston.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they are worth.

"Look somewhere else you can find better"

Current Employee - Administrative
    Current Employee - Administrative

I have been working at Spectra Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some people are pleasant to work with

Cons

Entire company is made up of all contractors. Rarely do you meet someone who is a permanent employee. When traveling you are expected to pay for all expenses and wait 2-3 weeks for reimbursement from your staffing agency. Job will always be contract so hardly no one goes permanent. Insufficient training and the moment you speak your concerns or have ideas there immediately shot down or in my case invite you to corporate to teach them how to do your job responsibilities and then be laid off 2 weeks later.no real direction, aging workforce, not organized at all. The will assure you they don't do politics but trust me it's there. If u like traveling and feeling like your job is never complete then this place is for you. Salary is way below industry pay because they factor in traveling costs as apart of your salary. Traveling that they enforce.

Advice to Management

When you come to someone and ask ways to make things more efficient then to turn down there ideas because you do a group vote who are made up of people not comfortable with changes then look for better ways to manage. Industry is always changing holding back talent because some people are uncomfortable or have egos shouldn't be giving there opinion. Also nothing more cowardly when u schedule a meeting to talk about concerns then cancel it and then keep rescheduling only to drag it out because u know they are being laid off and then say yeah we'll talk about it when I get back the very same day you are laying them off and slipping out the back door with your tail between your legs is cowardly. Yea....sure you don't play politics. Cough cough