Spectra Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Spectra Energy Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Greg Ebel
Greg Ebel
1 Rating

Pros
  • Work Life Balance is exceptional (in 24 reviews)

• Positive work environment with great people (in 16 reviews)

"Contractor application developer"

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Spectra Energy as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing really. Outdated management, old facilities

Cons

Poor knowledge, bad irrelevant and outdated questions

Advice to Management

Quit so the company can move on

"Look somewhere else you can find better"

Current Employee - Administrative
    Current Employee - Administrative

I have been working at Spectra Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some people are pleasant to work with

Cons

Entire company is made up of all contractors. Rarely do you meet someone who is a permanent employee. When traveling you are expected to pay for all expenses and wait 2-3 weeks for reimbursement from your staffing agency. Job will always be contract so hardly no one goes permanent. Insufficient training and the moment you speak your concerns or have ideas there immediately shot down or in my case invite you to corporate to teach them how to do your job responsibilities and then be laid off 2 weeks later.no real direction, aging workforce, not organized at all. The will assure you they don't do politics but trust me it's there. If u like traveling and feeling like your job is never complete then this place is for you. Salary is way below industry pay because they factor in traveling costs as apart of your salary. Traveling that they enforce.

Advice to Management

When you come to someone and ask ways to make things more efficient then to turn down there ideas because you do a group vote who are made up of people not comfortable with changes then look for better ways to manage. Industry is always changing holding back talent because some people are uncomfortable or have egos shouldn't be giving there opinion. Also nothing more cowardly when u schedule a meeting to talk about concerns then cancel it and then keep rescheduling only to drag it out because u know they are being laid off and then say yeah we'll talk about it when I get back the very same day you are laying them off and slipping out the back door with your tail between your legs is cowardly. Yea....sure you don't play politics. Cough cough

"Run away ... Don't walk away from here!!"

Former Contractor - Anonymous
    Former Contractor - Anonymous

I worked at Spectra Energy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

None... Well they are close to a bar... For you to drink your sorrows away after your day at work.

Cons

People spend more time finding reasons and excuses to not work than actually working, especially in Services Supply Chain. The Manager only worried about taking other people down than doing her job. Nothing ever gets done especially in meeting and employees just pass all the work onto contract workers to do. Worst place to work if you have any type of motivation, it will only slowly suck your life out of you. And if you are anything other than white you are doomed and will be stick doing the grunt work without any advancement while you see others doing nothing and complaining about their work load.

Advice to Management

There is nothing here I can say that they don't already know.

"If you like to get paid 33% below market value, work here."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spectra Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. 9/80 schedule.
    2. 3 weeks vacation right off the bat.

Cons

1. They pay dramatically less then market value. I have friends in both engineering and accounting that get paid 30-40K less then market value, and I myself get paid 20-24K less then market value.

2. There is no way to measure success here, those who join the LDN and make friends with high ups get promoted, others who don't and work hard, stay in the same position without raises forever.

3. Even when there is a horrible manager in a group, upper management refuses to move them, they just send said manager to all kinds of "sensitivity training" that does nothing to improve anyone's situation.

4. They say Spectra is the 7th best place to work in Houston, TX. If this is true, I am truly appalled at how terrible it is to work in Houston.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they are worth.

6. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Conyers, GA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Conyers, GA

I worked at Spectra Energy (More than 3 years)

Pros

None that I know of.

Cons

Some managers dont know what they are doing and dont give you info you need

7. "Chaos"

Former Contractor - Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Spectra Energy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Some great people to work with

Cons

extreme project management and business analysis issues

Advice to Management

establish a professional project management / business analysis team

8. "Stay away"

I worked at Spectra Energy full-time

Pros

Employees are friendly and caring. The company benefits are reasonable. There does seem to be a genuine focus on safety.

Cons

All the President cares about is getting his bonus, and could care less about the employees. Horrible environment that demands long hours with little reward.

Advice to Management

Need to start caring more about the employees than your bonus. You never leave your office and talk to anyone but your management team.