Spectrum Brands Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Spectrum Brands CEO Andreas Rouvé
Andreas Rouvé

Cons

1. "Was a great compamy to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, CA

I worked at Spectrum Brands full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Casual/jeans every day, company store on-site with great discounts, free coffee and popcorn.

Cons

Utlizes off-shore shared services to cut down in over head costs. Makes quick and rash decisions witout seeing the big picture and how it effects employees.
     Favoritism in every department so if you want to move up, align yourself with the right manager. Its not what you know and how well you do your job but who you know to get ahead in this company so good luck.

2. "Awful place to work, keep searching"

Former Employee - Manager in Middleton, WI
    Former Employee - Manager in Middleton, WI

I worked at Spectrum Brands (More than 3 years)

Pros

Onsite cafeteria, don't have much else

Cons

Terrible culture, management, work/life balance. No one is trained, systems are out of date, constant reorganization 8x in two years

Advice to Management

Stop thinking you know everything and then reorganizing every three months. Hire some outside consultants to reshape the systems.

3. "Not EEO FRIENDLY"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Vandalia, OH
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Vandalia, OH

I have been working at Spectrum Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits Competitive Wages are fair

Cons

Not Diversity friendly no room for employees to move up all of management hired in from their former employer Fram so all higher in positions were given to family & friends before anyone else were even considered.

Advice to Management

I am going to advise corporate to look into this before it gets worse then what it is. It creates a hostile environment because they are like a "click" you are either in or you are out. When you question HR they target really sad they are running it their old company ways instead of adapting to New Company ways.

"Old school and bored"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middleton, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middleton, WI

I have been working at Spectrum Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are not too many pros to this place. Two that stick out though are that the health benefits are decent. The other "pro" would be that you never have enough work and sit bored most of the day.

Cons

There are many cons to this place. The first being that it's very old school thinking. We have to work 9 hour dqys with a mandatory 1 hour lunch. We have a very small vacation bucket and also a sick bucket. However you cannot use sick for PTO. Work from home is a never here, so don't even think about it. As companies are leaning towards unlimited PTO, work from home and a better work life balance, we're moving in the opposite direction. Corporate does not have a backbone either, if you scream loud enough, you can do anything you want. Going back to the pros, there is never enough work for people. It's a common theme that people sit bored all day long. I would be hard pressed to find more than 2 hours worth of work. When asking around, most people were in the same boat.

If you are looking for a place to mindlessly sit for 9 hours a day and talking about action plans but never initiating, this is the perfect place to sit in a cube.

Advice to Management

Too old school, growing too fast with out the infrastructure and policies and the slogan " MORE MORE MORE" is terrible.

""Put up and shut up, or else!""

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Northeast Harbor, ME
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Northeast Harbor, ME

Pros

My fellow colleagues and the moral support we each gave one another in order to survive this company.

Cons

Upper management. Upper management would pretend that they wanted to hear your experiences "in-the-field" and subsequent knowledge, but it HAD TO BE POSITIVE. If you were honest...you were labeled "negative." This was a company that claimed it wanted growth and market share and then would turn around and give it away to smaller warehouse channels. In a very short span of time with the company I went through 4 Regional Managers which only led to confusion and instability among our clients. Needlessly heavy amount of excess and inexperienced management. You could win awards for meeting sales quotas one year, and the next year a new manager (if they didn't like you) would institute a "designed" and clearly unfair program to get rid of you? Dying company...directionally confused...most assuredly being "listed-for-sale" again soon. Managers are trading experience for "cost-reducing" measures which should also tell you something!? Management constantly pushed you to "load up" your customers in order to make the company sales quotas.

Advice to Management

New CEO needs to really investigate the unnecessary levels of management and ally with experienced and proven employees. No more favors or unfair & underhanded treatment. Hardware business does not need "Directors"??? or "Regional" Managers with no experience. Doesn't it make sense to "play-to-your-strengths"? Try a business template with 2 proven, experienced, Regional managers managing the entire U.S. market and get rid of all of the remaining baggage. As a very well known radio talk show host might quip, "Wake up...!"

6. "Horrible place and environment to work. Unprofessional management at the plant level."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dixon, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dixon, IL

I worked at Spectrum Brands full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people on the floor. The average worker is hard working and dedicated to moving the company forward. But that's about it!

Cons

From the supervisors to the plant manager they are all completely incompetent. They do not value there employees at all. The employees are underpaid and underappreciated. I would definitely not recommend this company to anyone.

Advice to Management

Upper management at the plant level needs to be fired, very unprofessional.

7. "Have no expectations"

Current Employee - Sales Merchandising Associate in Lehigh Valley, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Merchandising Associate in Lehigh Valley, PA

I have been working at Spectrum Brands full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's $14 bucks hr. For Lehigh valley that's fair but not competitive to Bayer and Scott's.

Cons

It's $14 an hr, for what you do everyday, climbing up and down ladders at Lowes and Homedepot at $0.22 cent a mile reimbursement it's way below industry standards. For instance Bayer gives you $18 an hr at $0.53 a mile. Also with this job you have to call in and out at the store, a real nag when you get in a working rhythm. No bonus at the end for your hard work and low ball mileage.

Advice to Management

Start at a competitive wage and offer a bonus if you want people to come back in March!!

"Too much for too little"

I have been working at Spectrum Brands full-time

Pros

I enjoy my co-workers for the most part

Cons

Too many hours for too little pay. The expectations are unreasonable given the low level of support you get. It's like pulling teeth to get support from departments like IT or HR. You get lots of unsolicited opinions and uniformed comments, but little in the way of support to help you accomplish all the tasks put on your plate. Little opportunity for upward advancement. No professional development or chances to attend conferences, etc. Worst place I've ever worked for development and learning.

Advice to Management

Do what you say you are going to do. If you're going to waste my time having me fill profiles, goals, developmental plans, etc. and then never review them or give me the chance to do anything with them. Make people feel like you're truly invested in them by helping them grow. Lots of talk and filling out profile sheets, and then I'm asked questions like you've never met me.

"I was an operator there"

Pros

Good culture it started as a Black and Decker

Cons

Horrible management little to no supervision

Advice to Management

I would advise them to manage

"Supply Chain"

Pros

Good portfolio of products and the fact that is a global company. The Acquisition of new companies is given SPB a big growth.

Cons

Lack of management
    Under-qualified employees
    Lack of Administration and HR
    Lack of training
    Qualification of employees is based on friendship instead actual skills or experience.

Advice to Management

Improve training programs especially for senior management. Also, improve the hiring process to employee better qualify employees. The acquisition of new companies has given SPB a big growth global but the growth in sales by the individual business is slim or none, they should focus more on this.