Spectrum Financial Alliance Reviews | Glassdoor

Spectrum Financial Alliance Reviews

2.8
C Kelly Buckley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great from experience"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Spectrum Financial Alliance as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked as an intern for the summer of 2014. I enjoyed my time at SFA, at times it was stressful, but most of that came from lack of previous experience. Mr. Buckley is for the most part fair in his expectations, and the rest of the staff is keen to fill you in on the rest of the details. Like seen in the other reviews, some of the work can be tedious, but most of the tasks are required by the SEC.

Though I was there for only the summer (frankly the other intern was more useful due to experience) I can say that there was potential for career opportunity. All employees were young, capable and ambitious.

Owner is firm. Serious about the future of his company and cares about his clients.

I would recommend my position to any sophomore looking for a great summer internship.

I agree with one of the previous reviews stating that if you can't handle this position you may need to consider a career change.

Cons

In need of some updates to the computer systems. (could have been updated since I left)

Advice to Management

Hope everything is going well!

"Good"

Former Employee - Lead in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Lead in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Spectrum Financial Alliance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many opportunities for learning. There is value to be added with hard work and perfect execution. Good solid pay and flexible scheduling. U.K. Fan for a boss!

Cons

Managing principal a bit controlling. There is a bit of blame shifting and fear based discipline. Not the best atmosphere for the faint of heart.

Advice to Management

Keep truckin

"Intern"

Pros

Nothing to note. See con below

Cons

It's upsetting as a former employee to know that the owner has current staff write good reviews to deter from the negative comments. I've seen it happen myself. Current employees were asked to write positive reviews and how could they say no. This is incredibly misleading to anyone who wants to apply. See previous comments of others who have mentioned the same issue.

Advice to Management

Be honest

4. "Pretty Relaxed"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Spectrum Financial Alliance as an intern

Pros

(As an Intern) It is pretty relaxed place to work most of the time. Some days can be stressful and once in awhile very stressful, but that’s finance. This job does help you learn a lot of basic industry knowledge that you can’t pick up in a classroom. It is also an excellent steppingstone and a great way to standout especially when considering the narrow recruitment from Gatton.
    Sometimes the job can be tedious, attention to detail might seem anal retentive, and checks and balances can seem constricting. But again, that’s finance. It’s a high stress industry with a very low margin for error. After all you are dealing with other people’s life savings. The work you do progressively becomes more involved as your dependability is proven but there is obviously a ceiling of responsibility as an intern.

I would especially recommend this job to anyone interested in investment advising, money management, or I.B. It’s rare to find firms around Lexington where you can get experience in finance. The first few weeks might seem tough because there is a lot to take in but after that everything is pretty easy. Frankly I don’t know what all the dramatic reviews are about; if you can’t handle this firm I doubt you can handle any professional environment.

Cons

As mentioned above, some of the work can be tedious most, if not all, is due to SEC regulations.

5. "Great experience, lack of excitement"

Current Intern - Intern in Nicholasville, KY
    Current Intern - Intern in Nicholasville, KY

I have been working at Spectrum Financial Alliance as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

GREAT EXPERIENCE
    Extremely flexible
    Company will help you outside of the workplace. They are great people and are good at what they do. They will train you in a environment that is not intimidating.

Cons

Going to work everyday was not exciting you went in did you work had a little office chat but lack of comradary

6. "It is usually a bad work environment"

I worked at Spectrum Financial Alliance part-time

Pros

Pay is okay and hours are nice.

Cons

Very controlling and demanding. Micromanagement is an understatement. Employees are given simple and mundane tasks while being closely monitored to see if they mess up unimportant tasks instead of empowering employees with real responsibilities to learn and management being there for guidance and help.

Advice to Management

Owners mood effects all employees negatively. Learn to control your temper and treat employees with consistent, positive behavior.

7. "A management team that truly wants the best for their employees. SFA has genuinely helped me improve my business skills."

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Nicholasville, KY
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Nicholasville, KY

Pros

My experience at Spectrum Financial Alliance has been one that I will use as a benchmark on rating future employers. At SFA I feel that I am treated with upmost respect and that everything I say or suggest is taken into consideration. I have been given many responsibilities at SFA and though them I feel confident that I am an asset to the company and to other potential companies. The owner has been so kind and generous to the other employees and myself, he always there for advice on business related issues as well as issues pertaining to career advancement and even everyday life concerns.
    Briefly, I would say SFA's pro's are:
    -Flexible scheduling.
    -Friendly, yet professional environment.
    -Supportive group or people, especially in terms of career advancement.
    -Safe and Professional, I have never felt uncomfortable or uneasy about any decisions,comments, or activities within the office.
    -Simple; everything in the office follows a simple set of procedural guidelines, thus it is easy to be on point and to stay on task.

Cons

In my opinion, there are very few, if any cons when working at SFA. I might say that as a marketing major there is not much creativity to share within a financial planning firm. However, SFA has allowed me to plan events and take charge of client correspondence. I see that they obviously value me not only as an employee, but as a person for tweaking my position so that I have a place at SFA.

Advice to Management

I would advice the management team to keep leading as they are. I advise them to remain understanding and patient with those new to the financial world.

8. "Phenomenal Learning Experience"

Former Employee - Comptroller in Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Comptroller in Lexington, KY

Pros

Spectrum is a great place to intern or start your career. You get the opportunity to learn from one of the most intelligent money managers in the state of Kentucky. C. Kelly Buckley, the managing principal is one of the "good guys". He believes in a set of core principals and puts his clients interest before anything else even if the result is sunk costs at his own expense. My interning experience there was very beneficial. Although money management is not the career path I wanted to pursue the lessons I learned from Mr. Buckley will follow me wherever I go. People often do not realize how demanding and stressful the industry can be. If you work hard and follow procedures you will be rewarded.

Cons

If you are not ready to learn, work hard, and adapt to a pressure field environment then you will not enjoy working at Spectrum.

Advice to Management

Share as much information as possible to employees about the industry and about running a businees to maximize their learning experiences.

9. "The Owners Main Interest is Money."

Former Employee - Intern in Nicholasville, KY
    Former Employee - Intern in Nicholasville, KY

Pros

-Good pay.
    -Respect for the school schedule.
    -Good stepping stone for the future if you can last for the duration of the internship.

Cons

-Owner expects interns to be as knowledgable about industry and task performance as senior management with little guidance and/or time to learn.
    -Unrealistic deadlines that 'always' have to be pushed back and as a result the work quality suffers.
    -Outdated technology
    -High turnover (understatement).
    -Overall bad atmosphere to work in.

Advice to Management

-Get a consulting firm to examine the duties and expectations

10. "Stressful and demanding, is an understatement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY

Pros

Fairly compensated for work performed. Would be willing to work with schedule if needed.

Cons

Very stressful environment, management is very demeaning and demanding to lower level employees, management did not listen to concerns of workers. Management rules with iron fist, employees were fearful for their jobs if they were to make any mistakes or not do task completly according to procedures. Company run with militant style and there was a high turn-over with positions.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee's and look to change your management style from ruling with an iron fist.