Spectrum Financial Alliance Reviews | Glassdoor

C Kelly Buckley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Spectrum Financial Alliance full-time

Pros

Spectrum is a great place to work - we put our clients interest first and the golden rule is the guiding principal for our firm. We work as a team to accomplish goals and help our clients in an exciting fast paced environment.

Cons

We work as a team and hold each other accountable - if you are not comfortable with that this may not be the best place for you.

2. "Operations Manager"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Nicholasville, KY
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Nicholasville, KY

I worked at Spectrum Financial Alliance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tremendous positive environment and working with great people. World class leadership!

Cons

You need to focus on doing your work very well to be successful in the high expectations firm.

Advice to Management

Continue mentoring and teaching. You are great at it!

3. "Tyrannical, verbally abusive, blame-shifting, hotheaded boss"

I worked at Spectrum Financial Alliance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits including fully employer-paid health insurance (minus some women's health needs), nice coworkers, dog-friendly office environment, and boss can be very helpful at first, especially if he likes you. He even purchased a company vehicle for cute young female employees' use...

Cons

Tyrannical, verbally abusive, blame-shifting, paternalistic, hot-headed boss who had literal tantrums. He had more problems with female employees than male and refused to cover some women's health and family planning issues. Unwilling to pay for experienced and skilled employees, also not open to many suggestions from them about how to improve his business. Wanted everything done his way even when it wasn't working. Very politically and religiously charged environment, very unaccepting of diversity, rigid and difficult to work with. Expected emails, calls and texts to be promptly answered even after hours, holidays and weekends. My previous negative review and others have vanished somehow.

Advice to Management

With such biases, emotional immaturity and other faults it would be wise to acknowledge and rely on your employees' knowledge and experience and allow them to run a better business for you.

4. "Run the other way!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Spectrum Financial Alliance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and that’s it.

Cons

Everything about employment with this company is negative. It is a very hostile working environment and the most unprofessional place I have ever worked.

Advice to Management

No point in giving him advice, as he stated himself “There is nothing I can learn from any of you that I don’t already know myself.”

"Get finance on your resume and get out"

I worked at Spectrum Financial Alliance full-time

Pros

Good place to get a finance firm on your resume. Options in Lexington can be slim and hard to break out to other cities.

Cons

Everything else.
    -if you want to learn how to poorly manage money this is the place to go.
    -if you want to learn how not to manage a company, this is the place to go.
    -if you want to learn how to hide poor returns by picking inappropriate benchmarks, short time horizons, or irrelevant comparisons. This is the place to go.
    I mean seriously, look at this 5 year performance. Can probably train a monkey how to allocate better and not pay a 1% fee.

All of this comes from the top. Resulting in high turnover on full time staff. In my time there, the only people who took jobs were in a bad situation and jest needed a job.

Advice to Management

Learn to manage money and people. Look at yourself and ask how long the full time staff has been there. Is it that everyone you hired since starting is a bad employee and leaves? Or is it something you are doing that makes everyone leave.

"Don’t waste your time here, PLEASE!!"

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Nicholasville, KY
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Nicholasville, KY

I have been working at Spectrum Financial Alliance part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You work with some good people for a short period of time.

Cons

Those good people you work with for a short period of time get smart and leave, a lot. If you like training personnel over and over more than doing your actual job, this place is for you!

Advice to Management

Sell the firm and run.

"Good"

Former Employee - Lead in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Lead in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Spectrum Financial Alliance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many opportunities for learning. There is value to be added with hard work and perfect execution. Good solid pay and flexible scheduling. U.K. Fan for a boss!

Cons

Managing principal a bit controlling. There is a bit of blame shifting and fear based discipline. Not the best atmosphere for the faint of heart.

Advice to Management

Keep truckin

"Intern"

Pros

Nothing to note. See con below

Cons

It's upsetting as a former employee to know that the owner has current staff write good reviews to deter from the negative comments. I've seen it happen myself. Current employees were asked to write positive reviews and how could they say no. This is incredibly misleading to anyone who wants to apply. See previous comments of others who have mentioned the same issue.

Advice to Management

Be honest

"It is usually a bad work environment"

I worked at Spectrum Financial Alliance part-time

Pros

Pay is okay and hours are nice.

Cons

Very controlling and demanding. Micromanagement is an understatement. Employees are given simple and mundane tasks while being closely monitored to see if they mess up unimportant tasks instead of empowering employees with real responsibilities to learn and management being there for guidance and help.

Advice to Management

Owners mood effects all employees negatively. Learn to control your temper and treat employees with consistent, positive behavior.

10. "A management team that truly wants the best for their employees. SFA has genuinely helped me improve my business skills."

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Nicholasville, KY
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Nicholasville, KY

Pros

My experience at Spectrum Financial Alliance has been one that I will use as a benchmark on rating future employers. At SFA I feel that I am treated with upmost respect and that everything I say or suggest is taken into consideration. I have been given many responsibilities at SFA and though them I feel confident that I am an asset to the company and to other potential companies. The owner has been so kind and generous to the other employees and myself, he always there for advice on business related issues as well as issues pertaining to career advancement and even everyday life concerns.
    Briefly, I would say SFA's pro's are:
    -Flexible scheduling.
    -Friendly, yet professional environment.
    -Supportive group or people, especially in terms of career advancement.
    -Safe and Professional, I have never felt uncomfortable or uneasy about any decisions,comments, or activities within the office.
    -Simple; everything in the office follows a simple set of procedural guidelines, thus it is easy to be on point and to stay on task.

Cons

In my opinion, there are very few, if any cons when working at SFA. I might say that as a marketing major there is not much creativity to share within a financial planning firm. However, SFA has allowed me to plan events and take charge of client correspondence. I see that they obviously value me not only as an employee, but as a person for tweaking my position so that I have a place at SFA.

Advice to Management

I would advice the management team to keep leading as they are. I advise them to remain understanding and patient with those new to the financial world.