Spectrum Financial Alliance Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
C Kelly Buckley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A management team that truly wants the best for their employees. SFA has genuinely helped me improve my business skills."

Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Nicholasville, KY
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing in Nicholasville, KY

Pros

My experience at Spectrum Financial Alliance has been one that I will use as a benchmark on rating future employers. At SFA I feel that I am treated with upmost respect and that everything I say or suggest is taken into consideration. I have been given many responsibilities at SFA and though them I feel confident that I am an asset to the company and to other potential companies. The owner has been so kind and generous to the other employees and myself, he always there for advice on business related issues as well as issues pertaining to career advancement and even everyday life concerns.
    Briefly, I would say SFA's pro's are:
    -Flexible scheduling.
    -Friendly, yet professional environment.
    -Supportive group or people, especially in terms of career advancement.
    -Safe and Professional, I have never felt uncomfortable or uneasy about any decisions,comments, or activities within the office.
    -Simple; everything in the office follows a simple set of procedural guidelines, thus it is easy to be on point and to stay on task.

Cons

In my opinion, there are very few, if any cons when working at SFA. I might say that as a marketing major there is not much creativity to share within a financial planning firm. However, SFA has allowed me to plan events and take charge of client correspondence. I see that they obviously value me not only as an employee, but as a person for tweaking my position so that I have a place at SFA.

Advice to Management

I would advice the management team to keep leading as they are. I advise them to remain understanding and patient with those new to the financial world.

2. "Get finance on your resume and get out"

I worked at Spectrum Financial Alliance full-time

Pros

Good place to get a finance firm on your resume. Options in Lexington can be slim and hard to break out to other cities.

Cons

Everything else.
    -if you want to learn how to poorly manage money this is the place to go.
    -if you want to learn how not to manage a company, this is the place to go.
    -if you want to learn how to hide poor returns by picking inappropriate benchmarks, short time horizons, or irrelevant comparisons. This is the place to go.
    I mean seriously, look at this 5 year performance. Can probably train a monkey how to allocate better and not pay a 1% fee.

All of this comes from the top. Resulting in high turnover on full time staff. In my time there, the only people who took jobs were in a bad situation and jest needed a job.

Advice to Management

Learn to manage money and people. Look at yourself and ask how long the full time staff has been there. Is it that everyone you hired since starting is a bad employee and leaves? Or is it something you are doing that makes everyone leave.

3. "Don’t waste your time here, PLEASE!!"

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Nicholasville, KY
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Nicholasville, KY

I have been working at Spectrum Financial Alliance part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You work with some good people for a short period of time.

Cons

Those good people you work with for a short period of time get smart and leave, a lot. If you like training personnel over and over more than doing your actual job, this place is for you!

Advice to Management

Sell the firm and run.

"Good"

Former Employee - Lead in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Lead in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Spectrum Financial Alliance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many opportunities for learning. There is value to be added with hard work and perfect execution. Good solid pay and flexible scheduling. U.K. Fan for a boss!

Cons

Managing principal a bit controlling. There is a bit of blame shifting and fear based discipline. Not the best atmosphere for the faint of heart.

Advice to Management

Keep truckin

"Intern"

Pros

Nothing to note. See con below

Cons

It's upsetting as a former employee to know that the owner has current staff write good reviews to deter from the negative comments. I've seen it happen myself. Current employees were asked to write positive reviews and how could they say no. This is incredibly misleading to anyone who wants to apply. See previous comments of others who have mentioned the same issue.

Advice to Management

Be honest

"It is usually a bad work environment"

I worked at Spectrum Financial Alliance part-time

Pros

Pay is okay and hours are nice.

Cons

Very controlling and demanding. Micromanagement is an understatement. Employees are given simple and mundane tasks while being closely monitored to see if they mess up unimportant tasks instead of empowering employees with real responsibilities to learn and management being there for guidance and help.

Advice to Management

Owners mood effects all employees negatively. Learn to control your temper and treat employees with consistent, positive behavior.

7. "Phenomenal Learning Experience"

Former Employee - Comptroller in Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Comptroller in Lexington, KY

Pros

Spectrum is a great place to intern or start your career. You get the opportunity to learn from one of the most intelligent money managers in the state of Kentucky. C. Kelly Buckley, the managing principal is one of the "good guys". He believes in a set of core principals and puts his clients interest before anything else even if the result is sunk costs at his own expense. My interning experience there was very beneficial. Although money management is not the career path I wanted to pursue the lessons I learned from Mr. Buckley will follow me wherever I go. People often do not realize how demanding and stressful the industry can be. If you work hard and follow procedures you will be rewarded.

Cons

If you are not ready to learn, work hard, and adapt to a pressure field environment then you will not enjoy working at Spectrum.

Advice to Management

Share as much information as possible to employees about the industry and about running a businees to maximize their learning experiences.

8. "The Owners Main Interest is Money."

Former Employee - Intern in Nicholasville, KY
    Former Employee - Intern in Nicholasville, KY

Pros

-Good pay.
    -Respect for the school schedule.
    -Good stepping stone for the future if you can last for the duration of the internship.

Cons

-Owner expects interns to be as knowledgable about industry and task performance as senior management with little guidance and/or time to learn.
    -Unrealistic deadlines that 'always' have to be pushed back and as a result the work quality suffers.
    -Outdated technology
    -High turnover (understatement).
    -Overall bad atmosphere to work in.

Advice to Management

-Get a consulting firm to examine the duties and expectations

"Stressful and demanding, is an understatement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY

Pros

Fairly compensated for work performed. Would be willing to work with schedule if needed.

Cons

Very stressful environment, management is very demeaning and demanding to lower level employees, management did not listen to concerns of workers. Management rules with iron fist, employees were fearful for their jobs if they were to make any mistakes or not do task completly according to procedures. Company run with militant style and there was a high turn-over with positions.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee's and look to change your management style from ruling with an iron fist.

10. "It has become better"

Pros

Better tools to achomplish the assignments than before.

Cons

Few similar companies in area limit ability to negotiate.