Spectrum Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Spectrum Health President and CEO Richard C. Breon
Richard C. Breon

Pros
Cons
  • Such a large organization, sometimes you feel like a small fish in a huge pond (in 14 reviews)

• Staffing: Short-staffed almost every shift (in 9 reviews)

1. "Insurance sucks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Spectrum Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None, nothing, Nada, zilch, zero

Cons

Everything they suck. Worse place in the world.

Advice to Management

Get new... Management, employees, CEO, ect.

"Progressive Care Unit 1G-Blodgett Hospital"

Former Employee - ECG Nurse Technician in East Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - ECG Nurse Technician in East Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Spectrum Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team members, some of the best nurses that I've had an opportunity to work alongside. Doctors genuinely care and are mostly good docs, even though upper administration and upper management is so terrible. Facilities look nice, but equipment is dated and lacking. Most staff direct pt. care staff members are friendly and helpful.

Cons

Not much room for advancement. Upper management believes they are smarter and better than most employees. I have a masters, so that's a joke. Spectrum looks good from the outside, but internally staffing is terrible, they are always short staffed and it affects pt. safety and quality care. Most times I have felt overworked on the unit and I often feared for the safety of my pts. Protocols are put in place to meet numbers and to look good on paper, they are big on paper pushing and not about fixing the actual problems within department and the organization as a whole.

Advice to Management

Listen to your veteran nurses and staff. Open your eyes, step on the floor and listen to staff and pt. concerns. You have many valuable team members that are underutilized and that often leave the organization because there is no room for advancement unless you have connections, instead of being based on work ethic, academia, and experience.

3. "Environmental Services"

Current Employee - Environmental Services Technician in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Environmental Services Technician in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Spectrum Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I like that I am helping people

Cons

The company does not pay good

Advice to Management

I need to make more hourly income

5. "Overworked and underpaid staff"

Former Employee - Substance Abuse Counselor in Westborough, MA
    Former Employee - Substance Abuse Counselor in Westborough, MA

I worked at Spectrum Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some good people work at Spectrum who truly care about the patients/clients. Some people make a lot of sacrifices to work there. Little pay with not being valued.

Cons

The facilities are managed by people who are incompetent and like to micromanage everyone. They hold themselves to a different standard than everyone else. Because of the poor management they are not able to keep good directors and staff so the turnover is very high. This puts everyone else in a position to pick up the slack in an already impossible job to do. Paperwork, groups, meeting with patients individually...It's just too much and quite stressful. Very little support from management.

Advice to Management

Hire people who are qualified and pay them more than $13.00. You get what you pay for and the high turnover will only cost you more money in training and orientation. Stop micromanaging people.

"Management Does Not Care"

Former Employee - Procedure Support Technician in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Procedure Support Technician in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Spectrum Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Immediate benefits, easy navigation of benefits, great orientation, great food,

Cons

Pay, Won't keep their word, Poor Training, Can't use PTO as needed, misrepresents long term schedule,

Advice to Management

Please provide better training to incoming employees. I was pretty much thrown to the wolves. The people I shadowed did not care and they would not let me do my self training manual ever. Then, I was reprimanded for not doing my readings.

7. "RN"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Work with some great patients.

Cons

Work very short staffed with many patients that have negative behaviors. No respect or assistance from leadership.

Advice to Management

Find out what is actually going on in the units.

"A company with a vision, but no idea how to get there."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Spectrum Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-On site cafeteria
    -Being a part of a large healthcare system that is making many medical advances and differences in people's lives

Cons

- LOTS of red tape- almost worse than working for the government and trying to impact change.
    - Favoritism and nepotism everywhere you turn, including the CEO's son.
    - Questionable business relationships and software vendor choices based on personal relationships.
    - Egos, egos, egos. Everyone there in senior leadership seems to have an elitist mentality.
    - Poor communication throughout the system- the left hand doesn't even know the right exists.
    - Work life balance is terrible, but I suppose that is any healthcare organization.

Advice to Management

Develop a strong policy against nepotism/fraternization and enforce it.
    Loosen up a bit.
    -Embrace change and help eliminate barriers to it.
    -Stop doing business with vendors and software companies just because someone working there owns it or someone working there knows someone who does- its bad business.
    - Ensure your employees have a good work life balance.

"Chaotic, High Turnover, Incompetent Leadership, Favoritism is Very Noticeable"

Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Consultant in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Consultant in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Spectrum Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Providing healthcare services and having a job are the only pros that I can think of, unfortunately and candidly.

Cons

Many individuals are overlooked or flat out ignored when opportunities for development present themselves. Instead many leaders' favorites are chosen for positions that they have not earned and in many cases are not qualified. Take a look at its diversity stats in professional and leadership roles . . . very telling. Turnover is concerning. Unfortunately it is as if most of leadership walks around, knowing they and the Emperor have no clothes on, yet just looks above the shoulder and collect their pay and bonuses while HOPING no one says anything.

Advice to Management

Senior execs need to Get it together and start serving as effective leaders. Strategic objectives, the collection of objective data to analyze and make sustainable changes, etc.

"Watch your back at Spectrum Health"

Former Employee - Nursing Assistant in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Nursing Assistant in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Spectrum Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing good about this company

Cons

Watch your back . If management doesn't like you then you will become a target, and they will get rid of you. A lot of favoritism and racism well count against you.

"The downfalls of Monopolies."

Former Employee - Staff in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Staff in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Spectrum Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really loved the staff. I worked not only with doctors, case workers and nurses but an array of individuals that made it all work. Chain supply support, unit secretaries, unit aids, ministries, kitchen staff, nurse techs. The list goes on. They were the most dedicated workers I have worked with in a long time. They genuinely cared for the well being of the patients, the patients outcome and the family and friends of the patients.

Cons

Management. I believe that HR is so far removed to the politics of the floors they are unsympathetic to the individuals. Management on the floors is very political. They tell you your voice is important to make good changes for the company or even the individual units. But in reality, they are very bias and only except the voices of those they choose to listen to and if you voice something that doesn't fit their particular politics they will reprimand you for the most minute issues until they can fire you or break you down till you quit. This happened often but behind closed doors. The stress was so great that there were those that had 25+ years resign. But not all managers were like this, there where some that made it a pleasure to work on their units.

Advice to Management

There is a lot of favoritism within this company. It is very political. There are rules that they create as they go and may vary per manager, but the rules are only applied to the "select". Those whom they target to terminate that do not fit into their "cookie cut out". There was little fairness. There are so many rules and new policies created daily, that it creates incredible pressure and stress on the staff that work on the floor. The stress is already there when you have to care for the dying and the ill, families that are irate or grieving members. When you make your staff feel as though they can do no "right" and most everything "wrong" you create a hostile environment. Whether it be an 8 hour shift or a 12 hour shift. You should be focused on the patients needs and the job at hand. Not whether or not you did something as small as leaving a cup on a desk and management will follow up with a reprimand. It's the staff that work on the floor that make Spectrum what and who they are, not the management. Without the dedicated staff this company would be nothing. There are a lot of positions of management that do nothing more socializing, not with the patients, where money is wasted. Getting rid of good staff, and replacing them with part time resource without benefits is not a solution to taking care of financial problem. Enough said.