Spectrum Marketing Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Dedication! Loyalty! Talent! Excellence! Pride! Teamwork! Family!"

Current Employee - Graphics in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Graphics in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Spectrum Marketing Companies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most talented and dedicated Marketing company in New England and I believe years from now in this country. Spectrum stays one step above thru our ownerships vision, managements leadership, employee dedication, sales and CSR team performance, IT support, graphics and pre-press skills, accounting efforts, to those making sure all deadlines get met running presses late into the evenings. Spectrum's success is a result of our employees relentless dedication to our clients needs and partnering with them to see them thrive.
    In regards to graphics we stay current with Apple hardware and Adobe software, welcome our team to create personal work spaces. Our team of designers are encouraged to treat their work macs as there own, plug into devices for music and creative inspiration during the day. Spectrum's designers are extremely talented people that rival any New York design firm, what NY firms need days to do, Spectrum can do in hours!
    Spectrum is a family, a team, dedicated to our clients needs, and internally having each other's backs supporting each other. A great result of being with this company is I'm able to think of Spectrum's owners, co-workers and even many clients as personal friends. It has been very exciting to see many of our clients business grow and thrive along with our own.

Cons

Spectrum's success has not come without personal sacrifice throughout the company. To meet our clients needs we strive to go above and beyond. This does mean at times working 12+ hour shifts, working weekends, coming in on holidays. This is an industry of "I need it now" that does mean on any given day you may get that call or rush job email that results in needing to stay late into the night. I don't think this is a con exclusive to Spectrum, rather a necessity to strive in this field. However in doing so Spectrum as a company has continued to grow and stand out as a leader in marketing. When other companies can't get it done, Spectrum can!

Advice to Management

Get to know everyone. Those of us here working in the trenches, working late evenings and coming in on weekends may have valuable thoughts to offer as well. Tim Cooke, CEO of Apple spends his lunch breaks at the Apple cafeteria, each day he seeks out a different employee he has not met to sit with and discuss thoughts about the company. I think that example could go a long way here at Spectrum.
    Continue to push for s strong team effort when work loads get demanding.

2. "Excellent Environment and Rewarding Work"

Current Employee - Client Services in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Client Services in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Spectrum Marketing Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great company to work for to learn about marketing, advertising and print. I've found that every person I interact with here is always offering support and solutions when I need it. Management is approachable and will take the time to help you work through any obstacles you have to provide the best possible service to our clients. There are a lot of freedoms that come with a position here as well, without being micromanaged or boxed into workflows that are inefficient. This is by far the most enjoyable environment I've worked in, with a culture that encourages people to be themselves and work together to get the job done. The owners are kind, and they have so much knowledge about print. they are always willing to share their knowledge and experience whenever you need it. They recognize hard work and reward you well, especially to those employees that not only do their jobs, but do them well and demonstrate consistent abilities to adapt to new procedures with a willingness to always learn new skills. There are many opportunities to travel and work with clients in different states, from different types of companies and from different backgrounds, which makes the work fun, exciting, and ever-changing as you learn about different market segments and verticals.

Cons

We're always growing which is a wonderful problem to have. As we've grown I think we've reached a point where we need a more savvy database system to house all of our client data and project statuses.

Advice to Management

Updating our system internally will only help us to grow and better serve existing clients as we reach out to new clients across the country.

3. "Nieve owners"

Former Employee - Production
    Former Employee - Production

I worked at Spectrum Marketing Companies full-time

Pros

Lots of overtime if you want, only if management knows you personally. Wasteful company. Good job if your lazy and have poor attendance, permitting only if related to someone or know management who works there.

Cons

If your black or different ethnic background. Racial slurs from management to white employees. I'm white.

Advice to Management

Advice, none of the production management should be there. Moraly and unethical behavior from persons who are in a position of trust.

"Showcase your talent and you will be noticed."

Pros

• Work with multiple of talented people both in graphics and sales
    • You will learn more design skills here then you will ever learn in any school due to the talent in the graphics department
    • Your talent will be seen by those who are able to make a difference in your salary pay
    • They have been in business for a long time, that says something
    • Owners are very loud but colorful individuals

Cons

• Process and procedure are somewhat hard to follow
    • Overtime is nice, however, having a good base salary is better
    • Hustling is that name of the game both in graphics and sales, if you can't take the heat, then this is NOT the place for you
    • Not much room for growth

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, treat them the way you would like to be treated. You have a voice, if you think something should change in procedure/process, then you (management) CAN make it happen. In summary, everyone works hard and in the end saying "good job" or "you are appreciated" goes a long way.

6. "Waste of time"

Former Employee - Client Services in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Client Services in Manchester, NH

Pros

Coworkers who shared in thoughts that the company was a joke

Cons

The two owners are idiots. One particularly has a short temper, and throws his money around to make those who make much less feel much worse about themselves. I would describe him as a tyrant and can't speak professionally to anyone. The hub of Spectrum Marketing Companies is filtered through their graphics and account coordination team - but seems like no other department is necessarily held accountable to the same unattainable standards. If you would like to work with a lot of no-talent people, with low pay - then Spectrum is the place for you!

Advice to Management

If you had a CRM, standard procedures, and would be willing to hire people for more than $25,000/yr to start - then maybe your company could stand on solid ground.

"Needless chaos, constant turnover"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Manchester, NH

I worked at Spectrum Marketing Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many of the people there are nice. Sometimes things can get done efficiently, because people on the floor will help you out.

Cons

Like most printing/advertising companies, there is a lot of waste and a lot of confusion due to lack of communication (internal and outside with both vendors and clients), overpromised, overcommitted resources, lack of knowledge of what is physically possible, what materials are on the floor, overreliance on JIT ordering, all of it leading to many needless mistakes, expensive redos, and waste of time and money on rush shipping fees.

Combine that with the lack of morale caused by treating graphic design staff like disposable cogs that other survivors have mentioned, and the fact that the only way to get ahead was to be related to someone in upper management, and you have a shop that is in a permanent state of crisis because no one has any incentive to go above and beyond, since it won't make one bit of difference -- either to you personally, or to the better running of the plant overall.

And the culture is one of cheating the customers at every possible opportunity, on the grounds that they are too uninformed to know any better, or can't go anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Why bother? If they haven't listened since 1991, they're not going to start now! But really, buying other printing companies that were already poorly managed, to get their outdated, broken equipment and dwindling client lists, is not a path to a successful future. And by now Vistaprint should have thoroughly disillusioned everyone in the industry that the print-buying audience is a captive one. Keep screwing up orders and overcharging for them, and follow Vermilion into the rubbish bin of history.

8. "Telemarketing Director"

Former Employee - Telemarketing Manager in Glassboro, NJ
    Former Employee - Telemarketing Manager in Glassboro, NJ

I worked at Spectrum Marketing Companies (More than a year)

Pros

There was a lot of flexibility on the working hours and I was able to work from home as long as the job got done.

Cons

Most of the time there was little to no direction from management and the inconsistent priorities changed from day to day.

"Don't Be Fooled"

Pros

Can't think of any....they lied about opportunity,,the culture is corrupt

Cons

Bad pay, management, culture , office and parking

Advice to Management

Sometimes it is about the employees

10. "Amazing co-workers and a great place to learn the industry"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Spectrum Marketing Companies full-time

Pros

Spectrum Marketing is a unique workplace as it offers a wide diversity of services and products to an even wider diversity of local and national clients. Depending on your professional interests and skill level, you could be working on just about anything in the industry. How many designers in other companies can say that they have designed a vehicle wrap, a full page advertisement, a direct mailer piece and a t-shirt all in the same week? The teams work hard, but most people know how to have fun doing it. The people who work at this company are creative and thoughtful. Of course, like any other company, there are some individuals who are less amicable. But for every one of those "grouchy co-workers," there are five other excellent team members.

Cons

The fast-pace deadline environment is not for everyone. It can be stressful for some. Spectrum is also experiencing a lot of growth, so some processes have to be dynamic. In other words, there are often exceptions to every rule. This can be unsettling for some people. However, for others including myself, the intensity and continuous progress is ideal.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your teams on the ground-level for ways to improve communication and functions between various departments. They know first-hand what is working well and what needs to be reviewed as the company continues to grow.

11. "Never a dull or slow day!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, NH

Pros

This is where you want to be working if you enjoy a fast paced environment where you are not pigeon holed into doing the same repetitive task over and over again. Your ability to contribute will go far beyond the title you are hired with. If you have the initiative and willingness to grow you will find growth opportunities.

Cons

This environment is not for everyone. If you are looking for a job where you move papers from inbox to outbox and just want to get through the day you will not last too long.

Advice to Management

More multi-office activities with partner companies.