Spectrum Paint Company Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "Manger Trainee"

Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Spectrum Paint Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Established small company that utilizes its smaller size to work hand-in-hand with its customers and contractors. Ability to move up within the company if shown aptitude and an eagerness to learn.

Cons

Poor communication and teamwork. High employee turnover.

Advice to Management

Increase communication amongst all team members and offer quicker pay increases for lower level employees (hourly part-time and full-time) in order to facilitate a lower employee turnover.

2. "The paint industry isn't for everyone."

Former Employee - COUNTER SALES in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - COUNTER SALES in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Spectrum Paint Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hourly pay was anywhere from 10-12$ starting out. All deliveries were done in a company vehicle. The store typically was slow, so you didn't have a lot of traffic. The people I worked with were mostly fun to be around. I went to work knowing, I would make people laugh and strike good conversation throughout the work day. I learned Wilmington, North Carolina very fast. When you're first hired, you will do all the deliveries. You meet contractors, realtors, designers, which is good for networking for future jobs. The hours were very flexible. In my case, I was a full time student at UNCW the entire time I worked for this company and they had no problem working around that. For the most part, the upper management was professional and good to be around. The interview process was your typical process. You answer questions to the best of your knowledge and be truthful. Several times, the Sale Rep would drop in and bring everyone food from a donut shop or fast food chain. Tinting paint is the primary job at Spectrum Paint, but it isn't hard considering the machine does all the work for you. The warehouse manager would often need help unloading pallets, which was easy and made the day go by quick. Overall the job wasn't hard at all and the pay was very good for a college job.

Cons

Where do I begin? I worked for this company for a good amount of time. I went to school simultaneously to attain my education. I went out of my way to do deliveries most of the time that just so happened to be on a weekend when we weren't open in Charlotte, Raleigh and Pembroke, North Carolina. Just for the record, counter sales employees are not responsible for driving to these locations, but our sales rep didn't realize he could overnight a couple gallons instead of having (me) drive all over North Carolina to do so. There is a freight driver for a reason....I covered the warehouse duties for several months after an employee quit. Now, let's move to management. I find it odd that someone with no education can become a manager in training after a month of working at the company, but someone with several years and an education wasn't batted an eye. There was a lot of favoritism in this company.

Advice to Management

Improve management.