Spence Diamonds Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
James Schneider

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Spence i believe from when Sean Jones was running the company was very supportive, tough and demanding, but a great work environment (in 7 reviews)

• It takes hard work, but the opportunities for growth and defining your own income are incredible (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Takes hard work - but I am up for it and live for a good challenge (in 4 reviews)

• Don't leave a job to go here because chances are it won't work out (in 2 reviews)

"Diamond Consultant"

Current Employee - Diamond Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Diamond Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spence Diamonds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the work environment. The training was in depth and worth the hard work. It truly is a salesperson career. The people are incredibly supportive and willing to help you if you have a question even if they are in another store or department. I do love this company.

Cons

The script is hard but once you learn it stays with you, and is worth the hard work.

2. "An amazing place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Spence Diamonds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We have a management team that truly cares about your success in the store and encourage you to strive to reach your full potential. The store environment is energetic and fun. Would highly recommend. Opportunity for growth within the quickly expanding US market.

Cons

The normal growing pains associated with new stores, as the US locations just opened. Some trial and error to the flow of the sales process within the store.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage employees and develop leadership from within.

"It was awful"

Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spence Diamonds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

To learn about the industry and make connections

Cons

Everything. It's just an awful place to work

Advice to Management

good luck keeping your job.

4. "Diamond Consultant"

I have been working at Spence Diamonds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Upper management works close to all employees

Cons

Your Sales goals continuously rise.

5. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Diamond Consultant
    Current Employee - Diamond Consultant

I have been working at Spence Diamonds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very supportive environment that gives you the tools to training you need to succeed. It takes hard work, but the opportunities for growth and defining your own income are incredible. The management team is very involved with the employees and making certain they have the tools they need.

Also, compared to other sales jobs I have had in the past, the hours are more than reasonable. Overall it is a very enjoyable environment to work in.

Cons

Retail hours, and it is a sales environment, so there are high expectations and it is competitive. Really it is nothing that is outside the norm for a retail sales job.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing and keeping the teams engaged with each other. It feels like a family of friends when I see my coworkers, so keep working to keep that environment alive.

"Amazing opportunities"

I have been working at Spence Diamonds full-time

Pros

Very supportive environment, challenging and always striving to be better than the day before. An amazing place to build your career, while developing yourself as well. Employees at every level truly care to see each other excel, and support each other. Great leadership and leadership development.

Cons

Most weekends are at work and really high performance standards, but that's what the top earners strive for anyway!

Advice to Management

Have more sales contests

"Diamond Consultant"

Former Employee - Diamond Consultant in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Diamond Consultant in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Spence Diamonds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good commission, sales training, opportunity to participate in continued learning

Cons

Unrealistic sales targets, extremely high pressure to hit targets, high turn over rate

Advice to Management

Be conscious of market when setting targets, learn different style of management rather then high pressure tactics

Spence Diamonds Response

May 26, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We’d love learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please email us at careers@spencediamonds.ca

8. "Corrupt and liars"

Former Employee - Receptionist
    Former Employee - Receptionist

I worked at Spence Diamonds part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely no pros this place was a horrible experience and Im so glad I got a better job. So unfair and liars.

Cons

I worked at this place for 5 shifts, so 2 and half weeks. In that time, I learned how corrupt this company is. Faking sales to make themselves look like they are doing better as a location, and to give employees extra comission. Got a call 2 and half weeks in that i wasnt doing a good job. Literally because i asked for more hours because they were giving me 6 hours a week. they have this stupid vibatem you have to memorize and you must memorize it at home, which is against the law to ask employees to do.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to everyone and start treating employees better and not like slaves or animals.

"General Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Spence Diamonds full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've had countless opportunities provided to me while here. I work hard for what I have but, the trade off is a fulfilling and engaging career. The company has provided access to opportunities for personal and professional development that have been instrumental in enabling me to move forward and excel financially and in my personal life as well.

Cons

Not really a con but the expectations are high. The company is focused on customers having a great experience, the business is built around pretty special moments, you don't really get to have days where you're a little off or showing up at fifty percent.

Advice to Management

Keep developing people and encouraging them to do the things that bring them joy in their lives. It rubs off on the clients and their experience.

Spence Diamonds Response

May 26, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience here. If you have any further feedback to share please email us at... More

"Branch Manager"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Pros

Very little. Some of the people were nice to work with. Spence i believe from when Sean Jones was running the company was very supportive, tough and demanding, but a great work environment.

Spence still is concerned with quality and a great product. I would buy from Spence, but i would not recommend working there.

The only positive thing i can really say about Spence is their product, but that doesn't help anyone looking for a job.

Cons

CEO is the worst leader I've ever worked with
    - CEO doesn't listen, he dictates
    - My interview with Jim Schneider lasted 45 minutes, i spoke for 2 minutes of that (tell you anything?)
    - Micromanaging
    - Drama is unbelievable within stores
    - Turnover is huge! They can't keep anyone
    - Zero support from upper management
    - Communication from Jim was terrible
    - Promised 3 people the branch manager job (you can guess what that did to moral, trust and the team environment within this store)

I could go on and on. Terrible work environment and i don't see that changing as long as you have Jim Schneider in charge.

Advice to Management

Change out your CEO. Top down leadership is your #1 issue. If you can't trust your leader, culture will suffer. But i probably don't need to explain this to you, you see it in your numbers with most of your branches i'm guessing.