Spencer Gifts Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Spencer Gifts President and CEO Steven Silverstein
Steven Silverstein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Relaxed dress code you can pretty much wear whatever you want as long as it isn't offensive or drug related (in 89 reviews)

• Laid Back environment was able to wear anything to work (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, sometimes hours get cut, minimal room to do work (in 43 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't care about you (in 41 reviews)

1. "Former Alabama Employee"

I worked at Spencer Gifts part-time

Pros

Working here was so much fun. 4 years later and I still miss it. It's always fun and exciting, and you get an employee discount!

Cons

The pay is fairly low, but that's to be expected in retail

Advice to Management

Work on how you break up districts. Some states can't sell the same items as others, so they get screwed when it comes to district sales goals

2. "Best place to work"

I have been working at Spencer Gifts full-time

Pros

Dress code is "wear clothes". Fun environment, fun product

Cons

Workload can be very heavy and hard to manage at times

3. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Manager in Waterloo, IA

I worked at Spencer Gifts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for.Spencer's really care about there associates

Cons

okay weekends as with any other retail store if you want to work retail you will be working weekends that's when its busy

4. "Sales Associate"

Pros

Great atmosphere and a 40% off merchandise

Cons

not enough hours or pay rate If you're someone with actual bills

Advice to Management

Please give good employees enough hours and consideration for promotions

5. "An okay experience, but very high turnover rate"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Spencer Gifts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relatively easy, good way to build experience in retail

Cons

Many unreliable employees, inexperienced management both in stores and in corporate, high turnover rate

6. "Love working here"

Current Employee - Store Associate in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Spencer Gifts part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-The people I work with are like family. Everyone cares about each other in and outside of work.
    -Occasionally there are education programs for the current or upcoming events.

Cons

-As all retail knows, customers can be 1 Star people expecting 5 Star service with little to no consideration of the staff or other customers in the store.
    Example (if you never worked retail): People of all ages Play with, throw, and steal items. Insult staff for stopping such instances. And want to ruin the store's cleanliness on a constant basis. There are people who make little disruption and leave happy but they shouldn't be as uncommon as they are. Not the store's fault at all but it should be known on what to expect.
    -The pay could be better

Advice to Management

-Higher pay may be difficult to do but it makes dealing with 1 Star customers more worth it. I would've quit long ago if not for the emotional bond I share with the staff I work with as well as the Home office.
    -Please keep the positive attitude.
    -The occasional Education programs could use additional lesson on why NOT to take certain actions instead of only what's right to do.

7. "Get the experience and get out"

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Spencer Gifts part-time (More than a year)

Pros

dress code
    discount
    people you meet

Cons

bad management
    co workers always calling in
    management bullies you into quitting

8. "Great Summer job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Macomb, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Macomb, MI

I worked at Spencer Gifts part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool environment
    Good staff
    Work around your schedule

Cons

Hard to move up in that kind of company

Advice to Management

Don't make employees come in on holiday nights to change displays

"It used to be the best place to work"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Spencer Gifts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are still some great things about Spencers
    -communication between store and DSM
    -RSD takes the time to get to know you and your team
    -opportunities to grow with the company
    -open door policy
    -dress code
    -employee discount

Cons

The company is big on making Spencers the best place to work yet we are unable to actually manage our business for sales through guest service.
    The workload is astronomical, and since we tend to be alone in the morning, and/or only have 2 people all day we cannot manage to get all tasks done and give quality guest service. If we fall behind on our tasks, it can cause huge issues down the road.
    The company is letting go people who actually care for and are loyal to this company. Why? Don't you want employees who actually care about Spencers?
    I had a DSM who was awesome and cared about us. The communication was amazing and then poof; gone. It hasn't been the same.
    There is a revolving door of DSM's and Regional HR Managers (and even Store Managers). That is a huge red flag. It makes me wonder of Captain Steve really knows what it is like out here. Why can't we keep a RHRM? This is something to think about. Our last RHRM was the best we ever had.
    When George was more involved in the stores and visited, at least we knew where we stand and what we need to do to improve.
    Now when we get an operational home office visit, no smiles, cocky, arrogant and you have zero clear on how the visit went.
    Captain Steve had a huge impact on this company and now he seems to be non-existent to the field. We need you!
    We are not competitive with pay.
    DSM's and RSD's are overworked with zero balance between work and home life. Cut them some slack! The DSM's over here work long and hard.

Advice to Management

If we really want to be the Best Place To Work, then let's find that secret sauce we used to have. Listen to the field. Praise and value upper management. You will continue to lose good team members if we stay on this path. Captain Steve, please listen to us.

"Stressful to a tee"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Spencer Gifts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loose dress code. Was told "as long as it doesn't have the f word and you're not hanging out of it you're fine". Close toed and heeled shoes are required outside of an allowed flip flop season. Flexible schedule around school.

Cons

Sales associates don't get very many hours. Management is encouraged to have a large amount of employees which limits the hours for individuals. Pay increases for management are dependant on whether the store is doing well overall. After working there for 4 years the only raises I saw were due to promotion not from the store doing well. Promotions only happen if a spot happens to open up (ie someone gets fired or quits). If someone calls in the manager will expect someone else to cover it and may get upset if you can't or don't want to. As a manager you're told by policy to do one thing and LP managers and District Managers to do another. They say you need to stay in store on your lunch if another manager isn't there to handle any discounts etc, but are absolutely not allowed to take an on duty lunch and are expected to do this while off the clock. They also say for you to follow any shoplifters to keep an eye on them to catch them, but you're not supposed to stalk customers. Store management doesn't follow OSHA regulations for safety but says "just don't get caught". They also say the same thing about breaking LP policies about rear doors etc. The manager would often leave early on busy Fridays or Saturdays because "she already hit her 40" even if you needed her help (the manager being the only one salaried and able to help when low on payroll). She also hired people because she wanted to be friends with them or she thought they were cute not for professional reasons.

Advice to Management

If you can't handle the management position, don't accept it. Make sure to give credit where credit is due. Upper management should police the store managers more on whether they're doing their full jobs. They should also check that managers know the laws and regulations that they should be following in store. Managers should also be aware of safety regulations and procedures.