Spencer Gifts Reviews | Glassdoor

Spencer Gifts Reviews

Updated April 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Relaxed dress code you can pretty much wear whatever you want as long as it isn't offensive or drug related (in 75 reviews)

• It's a fun, laid back company that seems to be excelling in a market full of closing retail business (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, sometimes hours get cut, minimal room to do work (in 39 reviews)

• I also felt that I didn't have much of a relationship with any upper management such as the District manager, regional manager, etc (in 37 reviews)

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Spencer Gifts part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, Great Environment, Advancement Opportunities, Great Management, Great Company

Cons

20 work minimum so.. 1) not many hours, 2) kids in the store, 3) many people trying to steal from the store

2. "Good for a part-time job, not for a career"

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Mentor, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Mentor, OH

I worked at Spencer Gifts part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed environment, flexible hours, casual dress code

Cons

Pay rate is low, not a lot of hours since payroll is constantly being cut, late schedule postings, unfair scheduling (some management staff work all holidays and others work none), little to no opportunity for advancement within store or company, keyholder position with immense responsible but no benefits, high theft

Advice to Management

Do a better job of compensating management (very low pay rate for mall retail)

3. "Great job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Fayetteville, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at Spencer Gifts part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy work, great company, 30% discount on anything in store and online. Great management. Room for growth.

Cons

Shipment every Tuesday, not a lot of work days and short hours.

"Store Associate"

Former Employee - Store Associate in Sterling Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Store Associate in Sterling Heights, MI

I worked at Spencer Gifts part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule and works well with other obligations, as in school being a priority. Great please to make a spring board for a career in business. A very laid back fun enviornment.

Cons

Limited upward mobility over long term. Low wages.

6. "Sales associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockford, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Spencer Gifts part-time

Pros

Great environment. Decent discount. Co workers are like family. Flexible hours, willing to work around your schedule. Easy to move up in rank. I overall, love my job and i know not alot of people can say that.

Cons

Not the best pay, but that's retail. Hours arent good except for around the holidays.

"Terrible pay"

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Coralville, IA
    Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Coralville, IA

I worked at Spencer Gifts part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun coworkers nice discounts other than that no pros place was not enjoyable at all. The manager I had was great though.

Cons

Crappy pay for a supervisor. Didn't even get 40 hours i worked anywhere from 12-25 hours a week even though I was promised full time. I made 8.75 for a supervisor and we had to work our butts off to make goals

Advice to Management

My management was fine in my store but the upper management was stingy as hell with their money. Didn't give raises hardly.

"Great place to work. Definitely teach you a lot."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Most of the people you work with are great. My district manager is fun to be around and most everyone is very encouraging.

Cons

It just never seems to be good enough. No matter how hard you work or how much money you bring in. It's like good job but you could have done better

"Fun Company, Low Pay, Upper Management is unrealistic"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at Spencer Gifts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun to work for, fun environment, can pretty much wear what you want to work, laid back, Enough work to keep you busy and make the day go by.

Cons

The 12-13 year old kids that come in and steal everything. I had to throw alot of people out of the store while I was there.
    The pay isn't good- but you can't expect much from retail.

Advice to Management

Watch who you're hiring. Just because someone is already with the company doesn't mean they'll make a good manager. I got stuck having to cover for the "store manager" at least 4x weekly when she decided not to show up to work, and she would expect me to clock her in and cover for her when the regional manager called. I ended up leaving because I couldn't handle how much lying that was going on and how much slack I was having to pick up and not be compensated for. The store became a "target store" and a corporate LP officer had to come in and talk to everyone, I informed him of everything that was going on.

10. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Traverse City, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Traverse City, MI

I have been working at Spencer Gifts part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Room to move up in the company. Fun work environment. Lots of learning opportunities. Spencer's really lets you dive into the inner workings of the company. You get to see the current sales of your store as well as the goal and what was achieved last year. You can directly track your personal progress as well as see where the company and other stores stand. This company should not be viewed as just a paycheck to paycheck kind of job.

Cons

You work with a lot of entry level people, people who are just there for a paycheck. They are still fun to work with but you can tell these individuals don't necessary care about the sales and ability to move up, you can tell they are just there for the paycheck and the employee discount.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I love it!

"Poor management"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Spencer Gifts part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pros were the 30% off on the entire store and the people I actually enjoyed working with, which was a select of two people.

Cons

Higher positions aren't rewarding here, you either suck up to the store manager or still get promoted to that position in less than a year. Manager was absolutely incompetent you couldn't even ask a question without them getting defensive. They felt "stressed" over inventory because she had to train people. I don't recommend working at this location. The hours and work days sucked, they expect you to put everything you're doing down just so you can come in. It's not just "retail", it sucks! The management here always gossiped, on the sales floor, in the stockroom, and during clock out checks. Shame on you!

Advice to Management

Do a better job, were you even trained? Do you higher just about anyone? I hated working here. Thank god I'm not anymore.