Spencer Gifts "low pay" Reviews | Glassdoor

Spencer Gifts Employee Reviews about "low pay"

Updated Nov 6, 2019

3.1
Spencer Gifts President and CEO Steven Silverstein
Steven Silverstein
Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay for management positions, groups of teenagers and college students flooding to the back of the store(in 66 reviews)

• "All there is time for is shipment but then upper management expects perfection in the stores(in 56 reviews)

Reviews about "low pay"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Fun Place!"

I have been working at Spencer Gifts part-time

Pros

Great atmosphere, good discount, fun

Cons

low pay, not many hours

Spencer Gifts2018-02-12
  2. "Fun job with the right staff !"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Spencer Gifts part-time for less than a year

Pros

Increase in pay Fun empolyees Wear what you want

Cons

Lack of staff Low pay

Advice to Management

Pay more !

Spencer Gifts2019-11-06
  3. "I love the people I work with and the company has a lot of extras to offer."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Fort Smith, AR

I have been working at Spencer Gifts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Sales incentives as a team, closed on Thanksgiving day, fun customer base.

Cons

Retail hours, low pay for high stress, benefits for full-time only.

Spencer Gifts2019-10-11

"Fun to shop there, horrible to work there"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Spencer Gifts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun products, fun employees, good work hours

Cons

Low pay, no appreciation for hard work done, no respect from upper management

Advice to Management

Expect little appreciation, recognition or rewards for exceeding all goals. Do not expect to feel valued for doing a great job

Spencer Gifts2019-06-11

"Overall good place to work"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Spencer Gifts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Discounts, fun environment, well structured, opportunities for growth, very customer (aka guest) focused

Cons

Low pay for management positions, groups of teenagers and college students flooding to the back of the store. High theft, seasonal staffing can be a major challenge in higher volume stores due to volume and workload.

Advice to Management

The company should invest more into store security measures like adding sensors and increase payroll when and where it makes sense. Livable wages are essential to hiring and keeping good people. Corporate communications can be confusing, unreliable and unorganized. Very hard to get rid of bad management but too easy to be unnecessary disciplined over technicalities when the wrong people are involved. Value your associates more. Even the employees working 8 hours a week can do wonders for a store when they are taken care of.

Spencer Gifts2019-02-13

"Undervalues Employees"

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Spencer Gifts full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fun atmosphere at store level Lax dress code Excellent PTO, if you're able to use it

Cons

Long shifts/no over time Low pay in all store positions Lots of PTO blackout dates

Advice to Management

A good stepping stone, but not somewhere to make a career.

Spencer Gifts2019-02-08

"Seems like a great company, until you look deeper"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Louisville, KY

I worked at Spencer Gifts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible scheduling Opportunity to work at Spirit in a different position. Spirit was the only thing that financially allowed me to work for this company for so long, I went over as a SM from August-Mid November and it was the only thing that saved me from having a financial crisis.

Cons

Low pay: When your Sales Sup only makes 60-75cents more than your associates, that's already a problem. But even more so when the ASM has to fight to even make $11 for only 30-35hrs a week. This company loves to low ball, I started out as a SS and was transferring to be ASM at another store in my area, every person that had talked to me leading up to my transfer was saying $11-11.75 and my last day at my original store my RSM comes out with $10.75. On top of this I watched the transition of SM's with the original being paid $650/week to the new one being paid $530/week (not to mention the lower paid being female). If you consider employment with Spencer's be very aware and stand your ground. Limited opportunity for promotion: at first being moved so quickly and going to Spirit made it seem great, but when it came down to being considered for ASM to SM the company really showed it's true colors. My Spirit store did more in 3 months than my Spencer's store did the entire year, and yet I was given the line of "We don't like to promote ASMs to SM at the same volume store." I was already at the lowest volume store out of the 3 in the immediate area I lived in, this was also told to me as I was interviewing for the position in the first of 3 months in which I ran the store with only my sales supervisor as the other manager. What this told me was that Spencer's was totally fine with wearing down the 2 of us, forcing us to work open to close every other day, with only seeing the other manager once or twice a week, but didn't see us as fit enough for promotion. During this time I greatly increased the store's performance, but in the end was passed over for an external candidate. On top of this, my SS was denied consideration for promotion due to her having class 2 days a week, which later was revealed that she was seen as "too loyal" to myself. After leaving the company, it was revealed that another ASM was promoted to SM at the same store volume. Spencer's likes to pick and choose when they follow their ideas. Be extremely wary if you accept a position for which you aren't ready to settle for.

Spencer Gifts2019-01-22

"Mess of a Job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Spencer Gifts part-time

Pros

Employee Discount, Laid Back Enviornment

Cons

Disorganized Lazy Coworkers Horrible Management Low Pay Favoritism Few Hours

Advice to Management

Hire managers that treat their workers equally and dont show favoritism. And also increase salary

Spencer Gifts2019-02-07

"Sales Associate"

I worked at Spencer Gifts part-time

Pros

Fun environment and great friendly staff

Cons

No benefits and low pay for the work needed to be done

Spencer Gifts2018-11-15

"Life is not a party"

Store Manager in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Spencer Gifts for more than a year

Pros

Some cool merchandise, especially t-shirts and lava lamps, although mostly poor quality

Cons

Low pay; payroll does not provide enough for floor coverage; customers are rude, obnoxious and there is always shoplifting issues

Advice to Management

Manage through support instead of control

Spencer Gifts2018-11-29