Spencer Gifts "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Spencer Gifts Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Jan 4, 2020

3.1
Spencer Gifts President and CEO Steven Silverstein
Steven Silverstein
Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay for management positions, groups of teenagers and college students flooding to the back of the store(in 66 reviews)

• "All there is time for is shipment but then upper management expects perfection in the stores(in 56 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Position"

I worked at Spencer Gifts part-time

Pros

Great job, especially when you're in school. Lots of fun, upper management cares, you get a decent income, and there is opportunity to advance to a store management position.

Cons

Floor moves are a pain. They are a necessary evil, but a lot of times you get very poor direction on them.

Advice to Management

You guys are doing great with the 2.0 initiative! Look into promoting more Store Managers to DSM positions instead of hiring from outside of the company.

Spencer Gifts2016-06-07

"It used to be a great company but not anymore"

I have been working at Spencer Gifts full-time

Pros

Really good discount and basically no dress code

Cons

Too many chiefs and competing egos. Shrink expectations are just crazy for single person coverage. The pay is so bad compared to other retailers, which would be fine if the work-life balance made up for it. Not even close. All there is time for is shipment but then upper management expects perfection in the stores. Completely unrealistic. The turnover for management is so high that they are constantly pulling from fully staffed stores to cover but then don't allow for the fact that they have essentially short handed that store. They are incredibly cheap so something as basic as a maintenance request could very easily take a year to be completed because they don't want to pay for it. They compensate for the high turnover by begging really bad managers to stay when they try to resign. So everyone else is left to take up the slack of someone who doesn't want to be there instead of replacing them with a good person. Stores are expected to throw the return policy out the window as soon as customers throw a tantrum. Why even have a policy if it isn't enforced? Just say you'll take back anything for any reason so people will stop yelling at employees for trying not to let these con artists return used products. I used to love the contests but now the goals are unrealistic and I really have no motivation to try to reach an impossible goal. I miss the days when we could focus on visuals and actual selling on the sales floor. It's all about shipment now and we just don't have time to interact with customers anymore. I'm disappointed in the way the company has gone downhill especially this year. I've never seen so many tenured managers either unhappy or resign as I have this year.

Advice to Management

Everyone needs to be on the same page from home office people to RSD's to DSM's to SM's. Get it together! It's become so unorganized. Start paying your managers what they're worth and I think you'll find the turnover will naturally decrease. Focus more on maximizing sales on tshirts and jewelry and less on love products which just bring thieves and immature customers into the store instead of people who are actually there to spend money.

Spencer Gifts2019-12-10
  3. "Don't come in!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Spencer Gifts full-time for more than a year

Pros

*Good discounts *open atmosphere *Great benefits

Cons

*Horrible Upper management *No effort to train people *lack of upper support

Advice to Management

Find a good district manager that will help you not hurt you.

Spencer Gifts2019-06-24
  4. "Great Job Advancement - Little recognition for hard work"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Spencer Gifts part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

always an opportunity for advancement within districts, health, dental & vision benefits, fun place to work - very diverse

Cons

little recognition, pay is average with small yearly raises, barely any relationship with upper management beyond district manager

Spencer Gifts2019-06-25

"Fun to shop there, horrible to work there"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Spencer Gifts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun products, fun employees, good work hours

Cons

Low pay, no appreciation for hard work done, no respect from upper management

Advice to Management

Expect little appreciation, recognition or rewards for exceeding all goals. Do not expect to feel valued for doing a great job

Spencer Gifts2019-06-11

"Awful place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Spencer Gifts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Discount Discount Discount Discount That's the only pro to working for this company

Cons

Dishonest Don't pay enough Don't care about staff Upper management is shady and dishonest Corporate office is rude and disrespectful Little hours for anyone that isn't the SM or AM No forward momentum or promotions

Advice to Management

DO NOT BE A MANAGER HERE. LITERALLY GO ANYWHERE ELSE. They don't care about the management teams of their stores. They expect ridiculous hours with a salary that isn't worth it. You can be an assistant manager elsewhere and make more money the. You would being a manager for this company. Upper management is rude and disrespectful, everytime the RM would come in she made the whole staff feel awful. Instead of helping us be better she demoralized everyone and told us we weren't good enough. Corporate is shady and rude. You call for clarification and people snap at you. Or if you call because you are following up on a request they are rude and make it seem like it's your fault you don't have what you've requested. They claim they're the best place to work for, but they refuse to take criticism when they ask for it they don't listen to employees when the employee has an idea they think would help the company. Over all they claim to care but they don't. If you wanna waste your time for a lousy paycheck then work for Spencer's. I know a lot of managers and associates that no longer work for this company and they're making more money and are happier. I literally was overjoyed when I bought longer had to work there.

Spencer Gifts2019-05-31

"Fun Job With Many Challenges"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Spencer Gifts full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

-Always a fun place to work with unique merchandise and customers -Great company discount -Open to casual dress -Challenging and fast paced, never boring -Opportunity for advacement -Upper management and corporate were kind and helpful -Pleasant experiences with district and regional managers -Company very organized and has tools to remain profitable

Cons

- In a hugh volume store it can be hard to keep up with the workload. -Since catering to a certain demographic, inventory loss can occur easily. -Underpaid, considering salary workers tend to work more than 40 hours per week. -Junior management and sales associates may not always step up to take on challenges, leaving you to either discipline or replace them, which takes away from tasks that can lead to increasing sales. -Having to work nights and weekends. -If call outs occur, or you are understaffed, very likely you will cover the shifts. -Little time for personal life and relationships. -Poor 401K plan- company does not match

Advice to Management

-Incentives for store management need to be better. I felt as if I was severely underpaid for my proven abilities. I worked for the company for almost 10 years and had successful numbers, but my salary didn't reflect it. After many years, the pay couldn't convince me to stay anymore. -Better plans in place to keep your veteran employees -Make sure advanced opportunities are followed through on so employees don't get bored within their positions.

Spencer Gifts2019-01-30

"Not for Everyone"

I have been working at Spencer Gifts full-time

Pros

Fun, interesting atmosphere, changing schedule

Cons

Not enough pay, not enough hours, clientele, non-responsive upper management

Advice to Management

Help out stores when in need instead of throwing everything on them.

Spencer Gifts2018-08-28

"Don't Expect Much"

I have been working at Spencer Gifts full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent hours for management, some downtime, discount on cool new products

Cons

pay is low, hours terrible for anyone not management, terrible benefits, poor upper management, insurance is a joke, must upsell and customer must buy no excuses!!!

Advice to Management

Try focusing on your employees more and try to keep them around instead of having revolving employees

Spencer Gifts2018-08-27

"Not worth it"

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Spencer Gifts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Discount, fun environment, interesting items, dress code

Cons

Hours are pure crap, i only got paid decently because my assistant manager has been there so long upper management told me they had to pay me more than him as a SM otherwise pay would have been over 2 dollars less which is not worth it. Seasonal hiring is a joke you are expected to meet minimum hiring requirements instead of focusing on your already under paid employees. I would have liked to give them more hours instead of hiring more people. Its salary so you have to work 40-44 hours. Holiday pay for other managment doesnt translate to SM because you get an extra day off during a holiday week only for corporate to make you work 44 hours two weeks in a row after which negates the day off for the holiday. Also i had to stay extra a lot of the time even tho the required tasks were already done. Waste of time . There is a big disconnect between stores and corporate near us. I rarely see my dsm and have only meet my regional twice in over 5 years.

Advice to Management

Focus on quality of merch over overloading the store. We are always left with items that dont sell for years. Price increases across the board for merch yet no increase to pay for employees when the company already makes a lot of money is shameful. Also the great experiences people have at the head office has nothing to do with how the company runs at a store level. Yea great you have an exercising room, i have to deal with babysitting brats all day and rude customers. PLEASE put baby sitting in your new job description as the current one is misleading. Offer better training on Lp

Spencer Gifts2018-07-27