Spencer Ogden Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Spencer Ogden Chief Executive Officer Bradley Lewington
Bradley Lewington

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • re willing to put in some hard work can be life changing (in 23 reviews)

• Extremely upbeat work environment, bright colors, beautiful highly designed work space (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Compromised work-life balance at times (in 10 reviews)

• The company tries to encourage a 'Wolf of Wall Street' vibe, which entails a lad culture and cut throat enviornment (in 8 reviews)

1. "Recruitment Consultant"

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Spencer Ogden gives you chances and opportunities that are extremely hard to find at other companies, especially for an entry level sales person. You aren't put in a box, you are given freedom and autonomy to be creative in your own business. As a new recruiter, I'm doing stuff you typically wouldn't be allowed to do without at least 5 years of experience at other companies. The opportunities are truly endless for driven employees. In addition, the people at SO are just a huge family. I look forward to going to work everyday because I work with friends. Work hard play hard is definitely the motto.

Cons

With the freedom and autonomy, you really have to be proactive. No ones going to hold your hand. The resources are there to be successful, you just have to be driven to go after if yourself

Advice to Management

Focus and invest in people who are willing excited to work hard.

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unique working environment
    Your coworkers are your friends
    Growing business
    Encourages diversity
    uncapped earning potential
    focus on learning & development
    Rewards ambition & work ethic
    15 days of vacation + a paid week when office is closed during Holidays
    Fun work sponsored socials & outings

Cons

can get too focused on KPIs
    not enough mentors

I fell upon some of these reviews and wanted to give my take. It is very understandable that everyone is going to have a different experience. I will not pretend that there are not issues that need to be addressed. However, when you take a step back and realize this is still a young company, and it's going to have some growing pains, the cons don't stick out as much.

I've learned that focusing on the bigger vision for the company, and how my role and knowledge can help get us there, keeps me from getting dragged down into the negativity.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to use your knowledge assets of people in the business. Use your constant high performers and Subject Matter Experts as sources of knowledge, ideas, strategy, solutions, and mentoring.

Oct 6, 2017 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review . All good points raised in a constructive way. I agree we need more mentors in the business to lead the way and lead from the front and show junior staff members how it is... More

"Senior Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have met some fantastic people at this company - primarily speaking in regards to the operations / internal recruitment teams
    Early leave on Fridays
    For the individual, good medical benefits

Cons

1. Sales Management Personnel

The Sales Management in the Houston office is sad. It's a constant over promise and under deliver situation, saying they'll do things that never come to fruition.

A. Micro-Management / Number Based Success

The Houston Management team would rather troll Cube19 all day, looking at KPI's and screen shotting stats for emails regarding low activity, rather than working and talking with consultants to get them on track. Sitting behind your computer all day sending out multiple emails about numbers isn't managing.

2. Impulsive Decision Making

There is very little thought and or basic logic that goes into many of the decisions made in the Houston office.

3. Poor Spending

Spencer Ogden would rather spend its money on an absolutely absurd office, flying Directors back and forth from Houston to New York or from Orlando to Houston for completely unnecessary reasons, rather than providing logical things like parking (which everyone has asked for). The company also spends money on things like End of Month Drinks and Grad Drinks but won't pay for you to visit clients to win business.

.. A ping-pong table and Karbach themed booths don't help a consultant win business.

4. Monitoring Phone Times

I understand that it might be useful for new people to monitor their phone times, but your top biller in the office spends zero time on the phone. It's not a logical way of measuring success. I can sit on hold with Comcast for two hours and be a top performer according to phone times. Stop.

5. Lack of Direction

The lack of direction, upward mobility, and just general job responsibilities within the Houston office is almost comical. It changes constantly with no rhyme or reason.

6. Poor Geographical Split/Roll Out from Management Regarding Offices

Pretty self-explanatory. No one has any idea what defines the geographical split. The Denver office does whatever they want but Houston can't touch their 'region'. No one does anything about it either; its an absolute mess. The regions cheat other, put false information in Bullhorn to hide deals they aren't supposed to be doing so their office/teams can receive the NFI. It's laughable.

7. Lies and Politics

The politics in the Houston office are mind-blowing. Your career can be decided by one person if they're in the pocket or ear of someone in management. The ethics are poor, the values are absent, and the moral compass is nonexistent.

8. Flex-Hours

The Houston office was lucky enough to have the opportunity to test run the flex hour policy. Unfortunately, the flex hour policy is still not flex hours at all. Its simply the same exact schedule moved forward or backwards an hour. We were all so excited to finally be getting them and it was such a huge let down.

Advice to Management

A pretty new office won't fix your problems, but new management might.

Sep 18, 2017 – Ops Director

Thank you for your candid review. Whilst I dont agree with many of the points its a well balanced review generally.

Our new office is not meant to be a plaster for any perceived issues. The... More

4. "I Love It"

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The environment is great and my colleagues have become some of my best friends. Management truly care about their employees & their futures. I've had some of the best times of my life working for this company. While working here I've seen people make 70k, 20k, 17k, 5k, commission checks a month, every month... That's life changing money. Spencer Ogden gives people the chance to change their lives with an uncapped commission structure. It's a great place to learn how to grow a business.

Cons

Recruitment also isn't for everyone. If you aren't a positive person, you wont do well. If you don't like talking to people, you wont do well.

Advice to Management

Flex hours.... Lets have flex hours.

Jul 3, 2017 – Head of Operations

Thank you for your review. Thrilled that you are enjoying working with us and fulfilling your career goals and we are excited now to offer you flexible working hours.

"Recruitment Consultant"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office (Houston) is nice. Has a really nice modern vibe. Your work space is a little small so it can be cramped at times. Training was too notch but they lost their best trainer when they refused to let her relocate back to her home city of London. They have finally added a wonderful HR manager Destiny, which was much needed in this office environment.

Cons

Extremely unprofessional. The upper management parties with their employees on weekends and has very inappropriate relationships together. Upper management flies in from NYC and drugs are rampant at many "work" get togethers. It definitely blurs the lines of professionalism and social life, which can be difficult when you don't hit your goals and you get fired. Also, internal recruitment promises you these extravagant numbers. "You start at $30K but you can make commission from day 1". It is RARE for you to make commission in your first 6 months. I think this company has SO much potential but is ruined by upper management. Turnover is VERY high in the Houston office. There is nothing wrong with a fun, social work environment but they take it a little too far. Commission is mostly 30/70 on perm placements with your managers taking most of the cut, which I found to be a little greedy. Contract is 50/50 unless it has changed.

Advice to Management

Set boundaries with your employees. Raise base salaries. Aerotek has raised theirs to 50K and that makes being a trainee easier. Have consistent office rules for contract and perm and make sure they're enforced.

Jul 25, 2017 – Head of Operations

Thank you for taking time to write a review of your employment with Spencer Ogden. We are pleased to inform you that many of your points have been addressed since your time with us.

We are very... More

"Fun but high functioning business"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working for SO is refreshing having been in recruitment a number of years. SO is both a fun place to work combined with fair but high standards for performance and behaviors. This fits well with my personal ethics and goals.

Cons

More comprehensive OTJ training for more junior consultants would be useful, but I think that is down to the individual managers to deliver.

Feb 21, 2017 – Ops Director

Thank you for your refreshing review! Noted re OTJ training.

"Hot Spot in Houston"

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment! If you are looking to work with a company where you can make friends, develop great people skills, and be in a environment that motivates you to be successful, then this is the place be. It is a great culture with a diverse group of people and if you like English accents well you will hear a lot of that here.

The office space is an inviting open concept design. No cubicles here! Not to mention, the office has a turf floor which makes it a unique space. Easy access to downtown tunnels and restaurants.

Cons

Starting base is slow but the company has targets in place to move up in the base structure. If you need to drive in - parking can be annoying and expensive.

Advice to Management

Continue developing anyone on your team. It is certainly appreciated and their is no such thing as too much training.

Feb 6, 2017 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review ant its good to hear that our learning and development team are having an impact there in Houston. We are also working on parking options later this year as we move into our... More

"Best in Houston"

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As soon as I walked in the door, I was given the guidance and tools needed to succeed in recruitment. The structure of our teams also helped facilitate my immersion into my specialized market. The company is all about transparency and strategic growth, so we are able to communicate with all levels of business and know what we need to do to be a part of their advanced growth pattern. I mean I sat down with the CEO one-on-one when I had 6 months' experience. There is a very clear plan in place for your career progression also, and it is clear to you and management what needs to be done to achieve promotions/raises/incentives.

Cons

Entry level base salary is slightly on the low side, but I am very self motivated and the commission structure is a motivator for people who are not. If you put the work in, you can make bank. Parking downtown sucks too, no getting around that unless you take the Metro rail.

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on! Maintain the communication that we already have established among the different teams in this office.

Feb 6, 2017 – Ops Director

Thank you for your detailed review and the title of 'Best in Houston' great to see a well rounded review on here.

"Working at Spencer-Ogden"

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Spencer-Ogden has a phenomenal training program for first time recruiters as well as experienced ones. I came in with no experience and they brought me up to speed in no time. They take training seriously and they give you the necessary attention to make sure you are successful in the industry.

The culture here is one of a kind. Very fun and energetic, everyone works together great. They embody the "work hard, play hard" atmosphere to motivate their employees.

This is the perfect company if you are looking to start a career or progress it to the next level. I have learned so much and truly feel that I, as well as my coworkers, can be extremely successful here.

I would highly recommend my company to anyone who is a self motivated and hard working individual.

Cons

No cons with working here.

Advice to Management

None

Feb 6, 2017 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review and I hope we can build on the positive experience over the coming years.

"SO Houston"

Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX

Pros

If you are looking to start your career in recruitment or develop yourself further I would look no further then Spencer Ogden. I was looking through the reviews of Spencer Ogden and could easily tell who put in effort in their job and who treated it like a 9-5 job. Recruitment is just like your life. If you do not give a crap about yourself you will not go very far. If you take the opportunity in front of you Spencer Ogden will be your ticket to an opportunity few recruitment companies can put in front of you.

I read a few comments how management did not care/listen. I can say that is pretty false. Granted they are not santa and cannot grant you everything you want. The issue becomes people think that the management team knows what is going on...which in most cases they do not. Speak up because they are not mind readers. The best advice I can give is speak up and talk to them. Rachel is the best person to go too because she will give you advice on how to pursue with it further.

Management:
    Eddie: Great guy and I enjoyed when he visited the office. He is one of the most down to earth individuals I know.

Henry: The most energetic and passionate managers you will ever work for. If you want to work in a company that is boring and has no energy I suggest you stay away from SO just because of him. Henry can pump up a room by just walking into it. Along with that he has high expectations, but that is the only way you can become better at what you do.

Alan: He is a reserved manager but knows how to run a team. He was thrown into a group and made stuff happen. He did a very good job at managing expectations and was always there for you if you needed help.

Justin: The most laid back individual you will meet, but it does not mean he will not ride you to get your stuff together. Competent and fair are the best to describe Justin.

Cons

If you are lazy this place will suck for you!

If you work hard you will enjoy working at Spencer Ogden.