Spencer Ogden Reviews in London, England | Glassdoor

3.8
Spencer Ogden Chief Executive Officer Bradley Lewington
Bradley Lewington

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • re willing to put in some hard work can be life changing (in 23 reviews)

• Extremely upbeat work environment, bright colors, beautiful highly designed work space (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Compromised work-life balance at times (in 10 reviews)

• The company tries to encourage a 'Wolf of Wall Street' vibe, which entails a lad culture and cut throat enviornment (in 8 reviews)

1. "Brilliant place to work"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent atmosphere, hard working employees, supportive management team and has brilliant motivators to push you to work your best.

Cons

Almost no downsides to working here

2. "London Underground"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The minute you walk the office speaks, the Interior is inspired by Dubai and London Underground, bold and bright! I Hadn't seen that myself in another recruitment company personally. The minute you walk in it naturally makes you feel alert and looks super fun compared to the bland offices that recruitment can have at times, and considering you spend a significant times in the building for your days work it’s refreshing and exiting.

Jay and other members of the company make you feel relaxed and welcomed, they allowed us to take in information about the business without overflowing on information, everyone was patient and made sure any questions we had would be answered so we could take in information effectively and understand.

The presentation was very transparent especially with the support they can give you in your career and everything was explained quite clearly what was needed in order to progress, whether it be in the UK or even overseas.

Large office, But not overwhelming where you may feel like just a number.

Overall the interview was exiting and very interactive from beginning to end, I hope to be a part of this company as I could actually see myself Progressing long term and I feel the support would be there as long as I am willing to work hard, they emphasised on having a good attitude as well which I walked in with, and left feeling even more energised.

Cons

Personally couldn’t notice any cracks myself.

3. "Fantastic company to work for"

Former Employee - Operations in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Operations in London, England (UK)

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time

Pros

Having worked with Spencer Ogden for almost 5 years, I can honestly say that I had a fantastic experience based on a wide range of factors:
    - The offices are like no other. Having worked in my role, I know the time and effort that goes on behind the scenes to make them what they are for the staff.
    - The opportunities that can be offered to you if you’re willing to put in some hard work can be life changing.
    - The activities and events that I was able to partake in made work so much more fun and exciting; fancy-dress days, BBQs, charity events, bake days – pretty much anything you could suggest, SO were willing to give it a go and give everyone a fun day.
    - The people – whilst you’re not going to get on with everyone, the thing that stood out the most for me was the people.
    - The training schemes and incentives for sales staff are fantastic - everyone should try to make the most of those.
    Put time and effort into your work, and you will reap so many benefits –not just financially.

Cons

The turnover of staff was a bit of an eye-opener for me, but in a Sales company, that has to be standard. With any job nowadays, if you aren’t putting the time and effort in, you won’t last!

Advice to Management

Maybe have as many incentives for the Operational staff as Sales staff

Sep 29, 2017 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review and I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and hope your career is flourishing. Noted re incentives for Operational support which we now have.

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture, the offices, the staff, the career oportunities, the 3pm finish on Fridays! I had a number of jobs before I started with SO and can honestly say I've never enjoyed going to work until now. I have great team to work with and excellent management who are invested in my personal development as well as the businesses. Positive changes have happened this year and continue to happen under the new CEO which gives me confidence that the company will continue to grow.

Cons

Bloomberg on the TV all day every day is a bit soul destroying.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen and communicate with your staff - the improvement in communication this year has been great

Sep 21, 2017 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review and I am glad you have seen some posistive changes in the last year. Our aim has been to refine and evolve our already unique culture.

Bloomberg on the TV! a tough one... More

"Worst place I have ever worked"

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office design and layout! Nothing else really good about the place all negatives!! Is a horrible place to work

Cons

Very toxic environment, managers don't care about there staff just care about billing. Bullying culture encouraged!!! Awful office vibe awful culture!!

Advice to Management

Just be decent people

Sep 21, 2017 – Ops Director

Thank you for your short review and I am sorry your experience with us was so different to the majority of reviews on here. Recruitment and sales isnt for everyone and there is of course a focus on... More

6. "Talent Acquisition - Fantastic Company"

Former Employee - Talent Acquisition in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Talent Acquisition in London, England (UK)

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Unique culture and environment
    - All staff are extremely upbeat and supportive (we all want to work for SO)
    - Continuous support at all levels (new CEO appointed & the direction of the business seems in very good hands)
    - 1 on 1 training and academies for graduates/new recruits (You know exactly where you stand)
    - Achievable incentives (Barcelona, Miami, Rio, lunch clubs etc); from trainees to directors
    - Bonuses & commission structures are monthly and rewarding

Cons

- Only person running my position so I had no 'team moral' however this wasn't the reason for leaving, I was able to liaise and understand all team cultures and dynamics
    - Unfortunate I am leaving at this stage, Spencer Ogden is a company I would love to join again in the future (Going travelling)

Advice to Management

- Keep team moral high & continue to develop all new graduates, a bright future ahead for all

Jun 5, 2017 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review! Enjoy your travels as we hope to see you back soon!

"Any other company is better than SO."

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Avoid at all costs for the sake of your mental health.
    I felt impassioned to write a review here after seeing all the marketing propaganda against negative reviews. All the negative reviews here are true!

Cons

Bulling management who treat junior members of the team with no respect. They run quarterly graduate recruitment drives but will not invest time or effort in your growth or development.

Advice to Management

Realise that employees are people not robots.

May 8, 2017 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review. I can assure you that the positive reviews on here are just that. That doesn't mean that everyone has the same opinion or experience (you are evidence of that).

Any... More

8. "Loved It"

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to be, work hard and you will be rewarded. All the resources you need are provided. Staff are treated with respect

Cons

Not everybody does well, but this is down to how much work you put in, like most recruitment companies. Hours can be slightly longer than average.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a good job. KPIs are in place but sometimes do not need to be enforced. Call times are good.

Feb 8, 2017 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review.

"Enjoyable Experience"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in London, England (UK)

Pros

Fun company with lots of opportunity if you work hard. Surrounded by driven and ambitious colleagues. Healthy internal competition amongst teams. Fun incentives and great office location.

Cons

High churn, long working hours and high pressure. To some these are cons but if you want to succeed these are expected.

Advice to Management

Stop posting photos of empty offices to attract new talent, focus on the people you have now and use their success as a marketing tool to attract new hires.

Jan 9, 2017 – Ops Director

Thanks for the review and really good point about focusing more on our people!

"Recruitment Consultant"

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time

Pros

Large open plan office - fun office environment to be involved with - Lots of out of office activities organised be the management team.

Cons

Heavily KPI focused - Top achievers receive preferential treatment - commission structure very poor compared with other recruitment agencies in the industry

Advice to Management

Increase commission payout - treat all employees equally - Get rid of Bullhorn as the CRM - roll out Sales force or teamleader

Jan 9, 2017 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review. Recruitment by its very nature is a KPI focused job, similar to any in sales. Our commission scheme is among one of the most competitive in the market today. The... More