Spencer Ogden Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Spencer Ogden Chief Executive Officer Bradley Lewington
Bradley Lewington

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • re willing to put in some hard work can be life changing (in 24 reviews)

• Extremely upbeat work environment, bright colors, beautiful highly designed work space (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Compromised work-life balance at times (in 10 reviews)

• Drug Wolf of Wall Street Culture" - Now, I only knew of one person who took drugs at work, but I would not be surprised if many more did take them (in 8 reviews)

"An excellent opportunity for those who are hardworking and flexible"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Following reading some of the more recent, nonconstructive reviews that have been posted, I feel slightly personally compelled, as a current, non-management, employee of SO to post a new review having been with the business a year, but in the recruitment industry for 7.

A career with SO is not for the faint of heart, and I mean that in the best possible way. SO is a business that is relatively young in it's history, and thus is growing and changing all the time.
    These changes are exciting both from an individual and corporate perspective. They of course, like all change, can be scary or challenging, but for those willing to take on the challenge, SO is a great place to work, learn and develop your personal skills and ultimately be rewarded.

Don't get me wrong, there have been times where lots of changes at once have caused me concern, but the business knows where we're headed, and isn't afraid to answer questions.

Like all jobs working for SO is reciprocal, SO has been there for me when I needed help/guidance/leadership, but expects my hard work in return, which I do gladly, as if we all pull in the same direction, this company will continue to achieve great things.

You really do, in many different ways, not just financial, get back what you put in here.

Cons

If you expect every day to be the same. If you expect to have things handed to you on a plate and not put in autonomous work on your own career as well as utilizing internal support. If you expect to be able to coast along, then maybe SO isn't for you. But really, in my experience, if you expect those things then recruitment/staffing probably isn't for you either.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, pushing for the next step in SOs corporate evolution. Keep people at the heart of that. Support us, and in return expect greatness from us.

Feb 12, 2018 – Ops Director

What a great and well rounded/balanced review. Thank you.

2. "Bad Management"

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time

Pros

The location is downtown.

Cons

It felt like a start up company.

Advice to Management

Shut it down

Jan 17, 2018 – Ops Director

Thank you for your short and rather unconstructive review. I am sorry your time with us wasn't as we'd hope.

"Recruitment Consultant"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Spencer Ogden gives you chances and opportunities that are extremely hard to find at other companies, especially for an entry level sales person. You aren't put in a box, you are given freedom and autonomy to be creative in your own business. As a new recruiter, I'm doing stuff you typically wouldn't be allowed to do without at least 5 years of experience at other companies. The opportunities are truly endless for driven employees. In addition, the people at SO are just a huge family. I look forward to going to work everyday because I work with friends. Work hard play hard is definitely the motto.

Cons

With the freedom and autonomy, you really have to be proactive. No ones going to hold your hand. The resources are there to be successful, you just have to be driven to go after if yourself

Advice to Management

Focus and invest in people who are willing excited to work hard.

Jan 8, 2018 – Ops Director

Thank you for your candid review. With that attitude you will go far at SO

4. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Startup and Commissioning Operator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Startup and Commissioning Operator in Houston, TX

I worked at Spencer Ogden (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent company to work for.

Cons

My only minor issue was there was no manager or representative at job site at the time. I hope that's changed by now.

Jan 8, 2018 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review. I believe that management gap has now been plugged.

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unique working environment
    Your coworkers are your friends
    Growing business
    Encourages diversity
    uncapped earning potential
    focus on learning & development
    Rewards ambition & work ethic
    15 days of vacation + a paid week when office is closed during Holidays
    Fun work sponsored socials & outings

Cons

can get too focused on KPIs
    not enough mentors

I fell upon some of these reviews and wanted to give my take. It is very understandable that everyone is going to have a different experience. I will not pretend that there are not issues that need to be addressed. However, when you take a step back and realize this is still a young company, and it's going to have some growing pains, the cons don't stick out as much.

I've learned that focusing on the bigger vision for the company, and how my role and knowledge can help get us there, keeps me from getting dragged down into the negativity.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to use your knowledge assets of people in the business. Use your constant high performers and Subject Matter Experts as sources of knowledge, ideas, strategy, solutions, and mentoring.

Oct 6, 2017 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review . All good points raised in a constructive way. I agree we need more mentors in the business to lead the way and lead from the front and show junior staff members how it is... More

"Sometimes change is good"

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Have been here for over a year and there have been a few changes that have mostly been for the better.
    The recruitment industry and all other sales jobs always have turnover and this has been the same here, but the core team has stayed together and become better over the last year.
    I have seen some people come and go that should probably have never taken a job in this industry and expected to have everything handed to them on a silver plate.
    People wanted freedom to run their own business, have full control over their markets and not work for it.
    Some managers have left in the past year and it has helped me to do more and better business. Our offices across the country collaborate more and I regularly speak to my counterparts in New York, Orlando, etc. and work on accounts with them.
    I want to grow and build a team and if I am successful in my market I will have the chance to do that.
    I know how to get to where I want to go, it's up to me to achieve it. I get the support I need.
    They hired some really good new people in the last 6 month that will help me a lot.
    I worked at a generalist recruiting firm before and this is much better. We specialize in energy and our goal is to penetrate that market. I like that I know my market and keep getting better at it every day.
    Still small player in big US market. Lot's of growth for me if me and the others get this right and we continue to grow.

Cons

Some people I like left and some people who should have never been here are finally gone. The company should have made those decisions faster as some of them were toxic for the culture and office environment.
    It's a sales job and it's sometimes frustrating when things are tough.

Advice to Management

Develop the good people and build around them. Don't keep people around who are not good for the office environment just to have good retention. People enjoy working with a good team and one toxic person affects an entire team/office.

Sep 29, 2017 – Ops Director

Thank you for your candid review. Its a breath of fresh air to hear some of your constructive comments. I think given you have had a background in recruitment this allows you to make informed... More

"Recruitment Consultant"

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- fun work environment
    - team collaboration
    - flex working hours for those who qualify
    - incentives
    - good training program

Cons

- pay for parking

Advice to Management

We have an excellent management team who have shown their success time after time.

Sep 18, 2017 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review. I am glad to see you are enjoying your time with us and your career is flourishing.

"Considering recruitment? Look elsewhere"

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time

Pros

The office space allows a collaborative environment, where you can ask questions to more experienced recruiters. You do receive training, however in my opinion the training was lacking.

Cons

As a recent college graduate going into the workforce, I needed the managers to be more engaged and caring of their employees. I have never worked in recruitment but did have sales experience and the management left me to figure things out on my own. The training was only about five days long and was not helpful towards becoming a good recruiter. When interviewing for the position, the recruiter mentioned I would be seeking out candidates for existing jobs, however that became false when I was hired on. Instead, the management falsified their ad and did not mention that there were no jobs to recruit for and that we had to build our pipeline from scratch. As I began to be in this environment more I have learned that the managers are toxic in their treatment of their employees. The benefits such as medical and dental and vision are not comprehensive as it seems and the base salary is considerably low when you think about it, at just 30k, it is difficult to support oneself when in fact Aerotek is paying their employees 50k for half the work SO demands. Also, the retention, specifically for the SO office I worked for had an incredibly high turnover rate, which speaks volumes in regards to management itself. The career path with SO is confusing as well and unclear, which makes my decision to work for this company even more regretful. Previous reviews of this company speaks volumes. Yes SO has issues with favoritism, poor management, and discrimination.

Advice to Management

There needs to be some sort of accountability for management. They get away with a lot of things which violate employee conduct. I understand this being a sales environment, many of the managers are in that position because they make the company a lot of money, however, you guys could get into trouble as far as how you handle employee conduct and HR issues. Nobody wants to work for a company that doesn't truly appreciate their employees and that is what I have gotten over my time here.

Sep 19, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your acknowledgement of the collaborative environment we foster in each of our locations.

Spencer Ogden is always looking to provide additional... More

9. "Worst Agency"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Houston, TX

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office and young environment

Cons

- Dishonesty toward customers
    - Unfair commission structure, some get a higher percentage based of favoritism
    - Inappropriate relationships among managers and employees
    - Unpaid/Unsafe parking
    - Harassment among employees
    - Unethical Management

Advice to Management

Stop putting unqualified individuals in management positions. Treat your employees fairly and they will stick around. One unprofessional manager can destroy a whole team.

Sep 22, 2017 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you havnt had the same experience as other staff. Let me address some of your claims

Unsafe parking- It is true that at this point we do not offer paid... More

"Senior Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have met some fantastic people at this company - primarily speaking in regards to the operations / internal recruitment teams
    Early leave on Fridays
    For the individual, good medical benefits

Cons

1. Sales Management Personnel

The Sales Management in the Houston office is sad. It's a constant over promise and under deliver situation, saying they'll do things that never come to fruition.

A. Micro-Management / Number Based Success

The Houston Management team would rather troll Cube19 all day, looking at KPI's and screen shotting stats for emails regarding low activity, rather than working and talking with consultants to get them on track. Sitting behind your computer all day sending out multiple emails about numbers isn't managing.

2. Impulsive Decision Making

There is very little thought and or basic logic that goes into many of the decisions made in the Houston office.

3. Poor Spending

Spencer Ogden would rather spend its money on an absolutely absurd office, flying Directors back and forth from Houston to New York or from Orlando to Houston for completely unnecessary reasons, rather than providing logical things like parking (which everyone has asked for). The company also spends money on things like End of Month Drinks and Grad Drinks but won't pay for you to visit clients to win business.

.. A ping-pong table and Karbach themed booths don't help a consultant win business.

4. Monitoring Phone Times

I understand that it might be useful for new people to monitor their phone times, but your top biller in the office spends zero time on the phone. It's not a logical way of measuring success. I can sit on hold with Comcast for two hours and be a top performer according to phone times. Stop.

5. Lack of Direction

The lack of direction, upward mobility, and just general job responsibilities within the Houston office is almost comical. It changes constantly with no rhyme or reason.

6. Poor Geographical Split/Roll Out from Management Regarding Offices

Pretty self-explanatory. No one has any idea what defines the geographical split. The Denver office does whatever they want but Houston can't touch their 'region'. No one does anything about it either; its an absolute mess. The regions cheat other, put false information in Bullhorn to hide deals they aren't supposed to be doing so their office/teams can receive the NFI. It's laughable.

7. Lies and Politics

The politics in the Houston office are mind-blowing. Your career can be decided by one person if they're in the pocket or ear of someone in management. The ethics are poor, the values are absent, and the moral compass is nonexistent.

8. Flex-Hours

The Houston office was lucky enough to have the opportunity to test run the flex hour policy. Unfortunately, the flex hour policy is still not flex hours at all. Its simply the same exact schedule moved forward or backwards an hour. We were all so excited to finally be getting them and it was such a huge let down.

Advice to Management

A pretty new office won't fix your problems, but new management might.

Sep 18, 2017 – Ops Director

Thank you for your candid review. Whilst I dont agree with many of the points its a well balanced review generally.

Our new office is not meant to be a plaster for any perceived issues. The... More