Spencer Ogden Reviews

Updated May 6, 2021

3.6
Spencer Ogden Chief Executive Officer Bradley Lewington
Bradley Lewington
Pros
  • "Hard work and the right attitude won't go unoticed and you'll be rewarded accordingly(in 27 reviews)

• "Great Commission structure, and great managers(in 14 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Limited career prospects, hire and fire culture, poor senior management(in 15 reviews)

• "You need to put in the hard work, longer hours, go the extra mile to really set yourself apart from the competition(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Fun fast paced environment

Jan 13, 2021 - Consultant in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Company, Love working for them

Cons

Cant think of one yet

Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review!

2. 2.0

Recruiting

Apr 6, 2021 - Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

They’re pretty understanding when things come up with family and allow your schedule to be flexible if needed. Last week of the year off. I made a few life long friends. Collaboration with the other offices makes the job easier and you learn more. Work from home for the time being. The company as a whole really does care about the employees. Young environment.

Cons

The salary is not at all competitive with the other recruiting agencies in HTX and while SO offers base+uncapped commission, so does the vast majority of the other agencies. The turnover rate in HTX is pretty high. My manager blatantly treats me differently than others on the team, and when I attempted to voice my concerns I was met with attitude. I was told I “just wasn’t working hard enough” multiple times when I tried to ask for advice. The cliques in the HTX office are HORRIBLE! I get every workplace has friend groups, but this goes above and beyond what is normal. I was told that me and another woman in the office would get along because we both have children and went to school while pregnant. I know that the person who said this probably didn’t mean anything by it but the woman and I both felt slightly offended by it. He was right about us getting along, but that’s because of our personalities, not because we have children. I would tell my manager something whether it be about a job I pulled, candidate I’m talking to, or something else work related, and he would literally go and just talk about it with another person on our team. I felt like every time I would go to him with something, not even 30 minutes later I’d get a call from the other team member about what I just spoke to my manager about. It’s beyond frustrating. Everyday logging onto work I felt like I was going to have an anxiety attack because I literally never knew what I was going to get from my manager.

Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review. We are always listening to our people - evidenced in our quarterly engagement surveys and numerous town halls. As a result of these we introduced a dress for your day policy and agile working programme (beyond the pandemic) Our overall remuneration package is competitive in the market when you look at benefits and OTE.

3. 2.0

Decent Job, no support

Apr 16, 2021 - Junior Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good Work/Life Balance Good starting comp Excellent Office Space Benefits

Cons

-Very little training (only one week of surface level roleplays) -No leads provided, must build out entire client/candidate base -You are encouraged to ask teammates for help, but get told you should know how to use it

Chief People Officer

Thank you for your short review. I am sorry your experience with us was not fruitful. All of our trainees go on a 3 month training programme which is an award winning programme. We have a blended approach to learning using facility led sessions, online learning via our content rich LMS, on the job coaching, role plays and lots more. Most of our desks are 'cold' desks and part of the job is to build a desk - we provide and support with a desk plan but gaining leads is part and parcel of a job in recruitment and sales.

4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good Company for contracts

Mar 28, 2021 - Startup and Commissioning Operator in Hattiesburg, MS
      Business Outlook

Pros

12 hr days/7 days per week equaling excellent paying contracts, great staff.

Cons

Must have previous experience, some contracts are short or long depending on needs, 12 hr days/7 days per week.

Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review of our contract services as opposed to working directly for Spencer Ogden

5. 3.0

SO

Apr 22, 2021 - Sales Consultant in Orlando, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible with work time from home or in office

Cons

Commission structure is a bit scewed

6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Absolutely do not work here

Feb 25, 2021 - Senior Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Curb Appeal- the company does a REALLY good job at putting a show on and masking the flaws from the point of view of an incoming employee. -I learned very quickly through speaking with clients externally, what a poor reputation the company has within the recruitment industry. -The current employees are asked/probed to put positive reviews to outweigh the negative ones on this page... so as much as you want to believe there are positives... don’t.

Cons

-management isn’t at all people oriented -toxic culture -inappropriate relationships and comments across the open floor plan -literally learn to be slimey in academy(training program) -no professional development - transparency is a pitfall.. even if you ask for feedback on how you’re doing it’s not given -terrible competitive compensation -you’ll be a tenured employee within 6months -leadership refuses to look at the causes of turnover for improvement -pay structure isn’t even close to being competitive

1 person found this review helpful

Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review. I can assure you no effort is made what so ever to get people to post positive reviews about our business. Of what point would that serve? I am sorry your experience with us was so different to the majority of our people and that you were not able to flourish with us like so many others do. Our learning and development programme has won multiple awards globally I'd be keen to hear more around your experience of our culture given some of the comments in your review. I would be happy to have a chat around these so that we can look to improve if indeed that is needed. Sadly I never hear from anyone directly off the back of these reviews who is willing to discuss their points in person. I guess that's the downfall of sites like these.

7. 1.0

Poor Management & Immature culture & Low Base Salary

Mar 19, 2021 - Recruiter in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The office space is very modern and the free apples are great. The people are kind and everyone is pretty friendly. 100% covered health insurance.

Cons

So many cons. If you are not 22 and just looking to get some experience on your resume than this is not for you. Very immature drinking environment. Management would try to give fake positive energy to recruiters to push them but then send nasty emails to leadership speaking negative about these same recruiters. They allow leaders to say whatever they want to say people and walk around arrogant because they are a top biller. This place is very disorganized and very STRESSFUL. Highly KPI driven and constantly having petty competition. Oh my gosh. The leaders LOVE to compare recruiters with each other publicly. Work life balance is a lie here. ( HR will tell you they have a strict 40 hr rule and time sheet that has to be filled. But the reality is people work more than the 40hrs and just lie on those timesheets and leadership don't say anything. Extreme high turn over. Some of there longest running recruiters there left and others are secretly looking for new opportunities. Majority of the NYC office have been there under a Year. Yeah, they will use the few left to demonstrate success & longevity at the company but they are the few. They start of very low salary wise for the amount if stress. 40k..maybe 45k if you beg. Diversity in this office, forget about that. They keep like one African American recruiter at a time. Lol I have seen them come and go. I don't think they are racist or anything but the fact is the NYC office isn't diverse. In my opinion if you are super young and have little experience. Take the training and take their money and leave when something better comes along.

2 people found this review helpful

Chief People Officer

Thank you for your detailed review. We want to be able to offer long term careers to our people. Clearly we were not the organisation for you nor the career for you. Leadership hasn't changed dramatically over the last 12 months in this office so am unsure where that comment has come from. Leadership are encouraged to use other recruiters success stories and milestones to help motivate and drive others. I am sorry that's not how that landed for you. We are a KPI led business and make no apology for that- that is how we have been so successful as a organisation - this would have been clearly explained to you during the hiring process. Sadly some people choose not to listen to this and focus on the office itself and those free apples you speak of! Sales and Recruitment isn't an easy gig and isn't for everyone. Diversity is something we are keen to focus on , as evidenced by the equality, diversity and inclusion report we published early this year. We are more than happy to share our challenges with our people and focus on how we can continue to create a diverse, inclusive and successful sales organisation.

8. 4.0

recruiter

Mar 5, 2021 - Recruiter
      Business Outlook

Pros

great atmosphere in the workplace

Cons

Cold calling can become tiresome

Chief People Officer

Thank you for your short and snappy review. I promised you the first 12 months are the toughest.

9. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Boring job

Mar 29, 2021 - Junior Recruiter in Torbay, NL
      Business Outlook

Pros

training program was very helpful

Cons

very sales oriented job where you have to make a lot of cold calls

Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you found the role of a recruiter 'boring'. Recruitment is sales.

10. 5.0

Great Learning Experience

Feb 11, 2021 - Recruitment Consultant in Grand Falls-Windsor, NL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Career growth, learning potential, training, autonomy. Full-desk recruitment and working directly with clients. Developing your own market and client-base.

Cons

High expectations, lot of responsibility, fast paced

Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 370 Reviews