Spencer Ogden Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Spencer Ogden Chief Executive Officer Bradley Lewington
Bradley Lewington

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The opportunities that can be offered to you if you’re willing to put in some hard work can be life changing" (in 24 reviews)

• "Spencer Ogden gives people the chance to change their lives with an uncapped commission structure" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Compromised work-life balance at times" (in 10 reviews)

• "Drug Wolf of Wall Street Culture" - Now, I only knew of one person who took drugs at work, but I would not be surprised if many more did take them" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Collaborative environment and team mentality - you succeed as a team and you fail as a team
    -Management is genuinely invested in your professional development
    -Clearly defined targets and goals
    -Empowered to make your own decisions, you are not told what to do but coached into becoming a better professional
    -Great incentive and rewards programs that keep work interesting on a daily basis

Cons

You get out what you put in, the success you earn is based on the work and dedication you commit

2. "Spencer Ogden New York - Failing Office"

Pros

Spencer Ogden globally do alright as a recruitment agency, and are very good at certain select things like Oil & Gas contracting.

Cons

The New York office has no vision or attention span. They bring in fresh graduates and people new to recruitment, put them on below market salaries and throw them into a new market to attempt a build out. If it works they'll keep them on, if it doesn't which based on the turnover rate is about 85% of the time, they will quit or be fired.
    They allow the best recruiter to become team leaders rather than the people with leadership skills and in turn, all the team leaders are very selfish, steal cuts from their team and treat them very lousy.

Aug 13, 2018 – Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review and I am sorry your experience with us was so different to most of those on here.

The New York as part of our US operation is performing well and is one of our strongest... More

"Great place to work, even better culture"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Spencer Ogden (Less than a year)

Pros

I just finished my first year with Spencer Ogden in the NYC office and couldn't be more happy with what year 1 has brought me. The learning and development training courses are unparalleled, especially with the internal infrastructure and support you receive from direct managers, specialized training teams, and colleagues. Spencer Ogden gives you the platform to succeed, without a doubt. You can go from a college grad to partnering with CEOs and Presidents of top Energy companies in a few months time. I'd recommend pursuing a position with Spencer Ogden to family, friends, and strangers alike.

Cons

There really aren't any cons

Advice to Management

Keep it up

Jun 25, 2018 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review and its great to heart that year one has been fruitful. Great to hear that the learning and development has featured heavily in year one for you. We wish you many more... More

"Great Benefits!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a growing organization with a lot of exciting things happening. I was attracted to SO initially due to the opportunity to be a part of something great - to work with senior leaders and develop structure as we move from a medium to large organization.

Additionally, the SO USA benefits package is very generous: fully paid employee-only health and dental insurance (buy-up options available), 401k, 15 days PTO + 8 paid holidays + the week between Christmas & New Years paid + your birthday paid + 5 sick days paid + 4 days paid to volunteer and then some!

Also, there are fun incentives - we work hard and play hard.

Cons

There will be a lot of change happening here over the next couple of years as we grow - so you gotta be comfortable with that.

Jun 11, 2018 – Ops Director

Thank you for taking the time to review Spencer Ogden. Good to hear you are enjoying the generous benefits package. As we grow there will most certainly be changes/growing pains but all for the... More

"Get it together"

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time

Pros

off at 3:00 on Fridays

Cons

Some of the positive reviews are written by senior management who are directed to do so
    Managers will not listen to your concerns and they do not care about your success
    do not pay for parking
    huge wage gap between management and recruiters/operations
    all of the mangers are extremely arrogant and don't seem to want to learn how to better themselves or the company

Advice to Management

listen to your people

Jun 13, 2018 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review ,all feedback is welcomed and encouraged. I can assure that our positive reviews are just that, just as our reviews that identify areas for which we can improve are sincere... More

"It’s a fun place to be"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits package - 15+ days vacation plus national holidays plus the last week of the year plus your birthday and more! 100% paid health insurance for employees. Off by 3 and dress down Fridays. Positive work/life balance.

There’s a fun work environment - astroturf floors, ping pong and other things to use during lunch and when you need a break.

Cons

Lots of leadership changes recently - from what I hear it used to be pretty crazy. Things are starting to settle and it feels like a good place now to develop - and the managers are learning too.

Apr 30, 2018 – Ops Director

"An excellent opportunity for those who are hardworking and flexible"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Following reading some of the more recent, nonconstructive reviews that have been posted, I feel slightly personally compelled, as a current, non-management, employee of SO to post a new review having been with the business a year, but in the recruitment industry for 7.

A career with SO is not for the faint of heart, and I mean that in the best possible way. SO is a business that is relatively young in it's history, and thus is growing and changing all the time.
    These changes are exciting both from an individual and corporate perspective. They of course, like all change, can be scary or challenging, but for those willing to take on the challenge, SO is a great place to work, learn and develop your personal skills and ultimately be rewarded.

Don't get me wrong, there have been times where lots of changes at once have caused me concern, but the business knows where we're headed, and isn't afraid to answer questions.

Like all jobs working for SO is reciprocal, SO has been there for me when I needed help/guidance/leadership, but expects my hard work in return, which I do gladly, as if we all pull in the same direction, this company will continue to achieve great things.

You really do, in many different ways, not just financial, get back what you put in here.

Cons

If you expect every day to be the same. If you expect to have things handed to you on a plate and not put in autonomous work on your own career as well as utilizing internal support. If you expect to be able to coast along, then maybe SO isn't for you. But really, in my experience, if you expect those things then recruitment/staffing probably isn't for you either.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, pushing for the next step in SOs corporate evolution. Keep people at the heart of that. Support us, and in return expect greatness from us.

Feb 12, 2018 – Ops Director

What a great and well rounded/balanced review. Thank you.

"Not recommended"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Denver, CO

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Downtown location off of 16th street (parking not paid for/comped/allowance)

Cons

Leadership is not supportive and are most concerned about looking out for themselves. There is a very micro managed approach to leadership stemming from a lack of confidence, power hungry, and inexperienced "managers" in this office. To couple the inexperience, pressure from management trickles down on every level creating hostile and unpleasant environments to work in and "culture".

Market perception is that there is not anything that makes them stand out from other recruiting firms- quality of service, practices, and tools etc.

Commission plans are poor and sub par to industry standards.The money even on the "good" commission checks do not make up for the hours (even though yes you get off at 3 on Fridays, you make up for it on M-Thurs).

If interviewing for a role here, reach out to any former employees that have left- I am sure any would be happy to give a realistic view of the Spencer Ogden they worked for- because turnover has been so high that in 1+ year barely any employees are still the same.

To sum it up if you are looking for a long term career as an experienced recruiter, it would be smart to interview other places and compare it to SO and be very cautious in entering their business. Hopefully it saves yourself the trouble- 6 months or how ever long it takes you to realize it's not what you were sold in the interview process.

Mar 6, 2018 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review and I am sorry your time with us wasn't as fruitful as we would have liked.

We are working hard to develop our managers and their competencies and skills. Recruitment by... More

"Bad Management"

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time

Pros

The location is downtown.

Cons

It felt like a start up company.

Advice to Management

Shut it down

Jan 17, 2018 – Ops Director

Thank you for your short and rather unconstructive review. I am sorry your time with us wasn't as we'd hope.

"Recruitment Consultant"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Spencer Ogden gives you chances and opportunities that are extremely hard to find at other companies, especially for an entry level sales person. You aren't put in a box, you are given freedom and autonomy to be creative in your own business. As a new recruiter, I'm doing stuff you typically wouldn't be allowed to do without at least 5 years of experience at other companies. The opportunities are truly endless for driven employees. In addition, the people at SO are just a huge family. I look forward to going to work everyday because I work with friends. Work hard play hard is definitely the motto.

Cons

With the freedom and autonomy, you really have to be proactive. No ones going to hold your hand. The resources are there to be successful, you just have to be driven to go after if yourself

Advice to Management

Focus and invest in people who are willing excited to work hard.

Jan 8, 2018 – Ops Director

Thank you for your candid review. With that attitude you will go far at SO