Spencer Ogden Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Spencer Ogden Chief Executive Officer Bradley Lewington
Bradley Lewington

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • re willing to put in some hard work can be life changing (in 24 reviews)

• s a fun work environment - astroturf floors, ping pong and other things to use during lunch and when you need a break (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Compromised work-life balance at times (in 10 reviews)

• Drug Wolf of Wall Street Culture" - Now, I only knew of one person who took drugs at work, but I would not be surprised if many more did take them (in 8 reviews)

"It’s a fun place to be"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits package - 15+ days vacation plus national holidays plus the last week of the year plus your birthday and more! 100% paid health insurance for employees. Off by 3 and dress down Fridays. Positive work/life balance.

There’s a fun work environment - astroturf floors, ping pong and other things to use during lunch and when you need a break.

Cons

Lots of leadership changes recently - from what I hear it used to be pretty crazy. Things are starting to settle and it feels like a good place now to develop - and the managers are learning too.

Apr 30, 2018 – Ops Director

"Consider other options"

Pros

The company is located in Downtown Denver on 16th St Mall. Office environment is open concept and clean. With the open concept, the idea is to be able to work with management easier and your peers as well but that often did not happen.

Cons

The management is the primary issue at the Denver office.
    The managers are invested only for themselves and do not have the best interest of other employees because at the end of the day, they do the same things as the entry level employees with regards to gaining business and closing deals. The managements inexperience in handling and supporting their employees has turned the Denver office into a hostile environment where bullying goes on. The lack of training these managers has turned negatively for the office and the turnover is high. The interview process also was misleading. The advert for the recruiter role only mentioned that the recruiter is responsible for calling candidates and getting them through the pipeline, not doing the work of an account manager as well. Once we were hired, they changed the role and made us 360 recruiters which I did not feel comfortable with. The training was only five days long and did not help with the development of myself or the new recruiters. The training only went over call times and being on the phone at all times and not how to actually sell Spencer Ogden to prospective businesses. The HR department is also not fully developed and when speaking with an HR representative regarding the issues I had above about management, they did not resolve it or intervene. Even after sending an email with the dates of incidents and detailed description, they never responded. As far as the commission scheme, Spencer Ogden ranks poorly among other staffing companies. Spencer Ogden does not stand out in the recruitment and staffing world as well. Although they are located downtown, it is inconvenient due to the fact that they do not provide bus passes or parking passes, so the costs come down to you, which can rack up. The schedule is strict and management will punish you for showing up a few minutes after scheduled start. They expect all the employees to show up early and finish late. Overall, it would be best to do market research on salary and benefits of recruitment companies if you are looking to get into this industry. I would however caution candidates applying to Spencer Ogden. It would be best to contact former Spencer Ogden employees to see why they left and what the culture is like.

Advice to Management

There are many components of this company that management should take a look at however the biggest component is management themselves. They truly must start dedicating time to train these managers properly so that they can have the tools to help entry level employees. Management is the primary reason for the higher turnover due to the fact that management is not there to help but rather micro manage. They are the leaders and must show efficient leadership skills in order to run the business, however it is clear they seem to be working for themselves because they are still recruiters at the end of the day and trying to gain commission as well.

Apr 23, 2018 – Head of Operations

Thank you for your review. We do take on board all feedback very seriously.

Your review implies you left the business a while ago and this rings true with the feedback you have given. In the time... More

"An excellent opportunity for those who are hardworking and flexible"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Following reading some of the more recent, nonconstructive reviews that have been posted, I feel slightly personally compelled, as a current, non-management, employee of SO to post a new review having been with the business a year, but in the recruitment industry for 7.

A career with SO is not for the faint of heart, and I mean that in the best possible way. SO is a business that is relatively young in it's history, and thus is growing and changing all the time.
    These changes are exciting both from an individual and corporate perspective. They of course, like all change, can be scary or challenging, but for those willing to take on the challenge, SO is a great place to work, learn and develop your personal skills and ultimately be rewarded.

Don't get me wrong, there have been times where lots of changes at once have caused me concern, but the business knows where we're headed, and isn't afraid to answer questions.

Like all jobs working for SO is reciprocal, SO has been there for me when I needed help/guidance/leadership, but expects my hard work in return, which I do gladly, as if we all pull in the same direction, this company will continue to achieve great things.

You really do, in many different ways, not just financial, get back what you put in here.

Cons

If you expect every day to be the same. If you expect to have things handed to you on a plate and not put in autonomous work on your own career as well as utilizing internal support. If you expect to be able to coast along, then maybe SO isn't for you. But really, in my experience, if you expect those things then recruitment/staffing probably isn't for you either.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, pushing for the next step in SOs corporate evolution. Keep people at the heart of that. Support us, and in return expect greatness from us.

Feb 12, 2018 – Ops Director

What a great and well rounded/balanced review. Thank you.

"Not recommended"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Denver, CO

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Downtown location off of 16th street (parking not paid for/comped/allowance)

Cons

Leadership is not supportive and are most concerned about looking out for themselves. There is a very micro managed approach to leadership stemming from a lack of confidence, power hungry, and inexperienced "managers" in this office. To couple the inexperience, pressure from management trickles down on every level creating hostile and unpleasant environments to work in and "culture".

Market perception is that there is not anything that makes them stand out from other recruiting firms- quality of service, practices, and tools etc.

Commission plans are poor and sub par to industry standards.The money even on the "good" commission checks do not make up for the hours (even though yes you get off at 3 on Fridays, you make up for it on M-Thurs).

If interviewing for a role here, reach out to any former employees that have left- I am sure any would be happy to give a realistic view of the Spencer Ogden they worked for- because turnover has been so high that in 1+ year barely any employees are still the same.

To sum it up if you are looking for a long term career as an experienced recruiter, it would be smart to interview other places and compare it to SO and be very cautious in entering their business. Hopefully it saves yourself the trouble- 6 months or how ever long it takes you to realize it's not what you were sold in the interview process.

Mar 6, 2018 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review and I am sorry your time with us wasn't as fruitful as we would have liked.

We are working hard to develop our managers and their competencies and skills. Recruitment by... More

"Bad Management"

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time

Pros

The location is downtown.

Cons

It felt like a start up company.

Advice to Management

Shut it down

Jan 17, 2018 – Ops Director

Thank you for your short and rather unconstructive review. I am sorry your time with us wasn't as we'd hope.

"Recruitment Consultant"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Spencer Ogden gives you chances and opportunities that are extremely hard to find at other companies, especially for an entry level sales person. You aren't put in a box, you are given freedom and autonomy to be creative in your own business. As a new recruiter, I'm doing stuff you typically wouldn't be allowed to do without at least 5 years of experience at other companies. The opportunities are truly endless for driven employees. In addition, the people at SO are just a huge family. I look forward to going to work everyday because I work with friends. Work hard play hard is definitely the motto.

Cons

With the freedom and autonomy, you really have to be proactive. No ones going to hold your hand. The resources are there to be successful, you just have to be driven to go after if yourself

Advice to Management

Focus and invest in people who are willing excited to work hard.

Jan 8, 2018 – Ops Director

Thank you for your candid review. With that attitude you will go far at SO

7. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Startup and Commissioning Operator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Startup and Commissioning Operator in Houston, TX

I worked at Spencer Ogden (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent company to work for.

Cons

My only minor issue was there was no manager or representative at job site at the time. I hope that's changed by now.

Jan 8, 2018 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review. I believe that management gap has now been plugged.

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unique working environment
    Your coworkers are your friends
    Growing business
    Encourages diversity
    uncapped earning potential
    focus on learning & development
    Rewards ambition & work ethic
    15 days of vacation + a paid week when office is closed during Holidays
    Fun work sponsored socials & outings

Cons

can get too focused on KPIs
    not enough mentors

I fell upon some of these reviews and wanted to give my take. It is very understandable that everyone is going to have a different experience. I will not pretend that there are not issues that need to be addressed. However, when you take a step back and realize this is still a young company, and it's going to have some growing pains, the cons don't stick out as much.

I've learned that focusing on the bigger vision for the company, and how my role and knowledge can help get us there, keeps me from getting dragged down into the negativity.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to use your knowledge assets of people in the business. Use your constant high performers and Subject Matter Experts as sources of knowledge, ideas, strategy, solutions, and mentoring.

Oct 6, 2017 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review . All good points raised in a constructive way. I agree we need more mentors in the business to lead the way and lead from the front and show junior staff members how it is... More

"Sometimes change is good"

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Have been here for over a year and there have been a few changes that have mostly been for the better.
    The recruitment industry and all other sales jobs always have turnover and this has been the same here, but the core team has stayed together and become better over the last year.
    I have seen some people come and go that should probably have never taken a job in this industry and expected to have everything handed to them on a silver plate.
    People wanted freedom to run their own business, have full control over their markets and not work for it.
    Some managers have left in the past year and it has helped me to do more and better business. Our offices across the country collaborate more and I regularly speak to my counterparts in New York, Orlando, etc. and work on accounts with them.
    I want to grow and build a team and if I am successful in my market I will have the chance to do that.
    I know how to get to where I want to go, it's up to me to achieve it. I get the support I need.
    They hired some really good new people in the last 6 month that will help me a lot.
    I worked at a generalist recruiting firm before and this is much better. We specialize in energy and our goal is to penetrate that market. I like that I know my market and keep getting better at it every day.
    Still small player in big US market. Lot's of growth for me if me and the others get this right and we continue to grow.

Cons

Some people I like left and some people who should have never been here are finally gone. The company should have made those decisions faster as some of them were toxic for the culture and office environment.
    It's a sales job and it's sometimes frustrating when things are tough.

Advice to Management

Develop the good people and build around them. Don't keep people around who are not good for the office environment just to have good retention. People enjoy working with a good team and one toxic person affects an entire team/office.

Sep 29, 2017 – Ops Director

Thank you for your candid review. Its a breath of fresh air to hear some of your constructive comments. I think given you have had a background in recruitment this allows you to make informed... More

"Recruitment Consultant"

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- fun work environment
    - team collaboration
    - flex working hours for those who qualify
    - incentives
    - good training program

Cons

- pay for parking

Advice to Management

We have an excellent management team who have shown their success time after time.

Sep 18, 2017 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review. I am glad to see you are enjoying your time with us and your career is flourishing.