Spencer Ogden Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Spencer Ogden Chief Executive Officer Bradley Lewington
Bradley Lewington

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The opportunities that can be offered to you if you’re willing to put in some hard work can be life changing" (in 25 reviews)

• "Spencer Ogden gives people the chance to change their lives with an uncapped commission structure" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "SO will at some point be sold- so all those senior management 'lads' have it coming" (in 14 reviews)

• "Management can be one dimensional in the way they manage performance- KPIs and phone times aren't the only indicators of hard work" (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Team Leader"

Current Employee - Team Leader in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Team Leader in New York, NY

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Spencer Ogden is an awesome place to work. Having worked at more than one recruitment agency in the past, I'm able to compare it with multiple other environments.

Spencer Ogden is definitely a people business vs. a numbers business. I've had times at the company where I've had challenging months or quarters and I always felt supported and as if the company had my back and would work with me to get back on track. I have always wanted to take on feedback and adapt my approaches, and the response to this attitude within the business has always been incredible.

I've been fortunate enough to be presented with some many different opportunities and market focuses at Spencer Ogden. We also have a program which supports you relocating to one of our many offices worldwide (if you hit your targets), which I have taken full advantage of!

Our Learning and Development team are best in class, when I first started recruiting at a different agency, I had no support, no training and no structure. This is so common for most of my other friends in the sector. Spencer Ogden invest weeks in training graduates and new starters, we have some of the best trainers in the business. We also have regular temperature checks and call coaching from our trainers as you progress through the business. Even the leadership team gets regular training - we always want to keep improving!

Spencer Ogden New York is one of SO's most promising offices, its going from strength to strength and is one of our top performing office across the Americas. We are getting repeat business from huge clients and are truly going from strength to strength.

Cons

It's one of those jobs where you get out what you put in. You need to put in the hard work, longer hours, go the extra mile to really set yourself apart from the competition. But this is the same with any recruitment agency.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting and developing juniors coming up in the business, there's nothing better than seeing folks in their early twenties taking home 20,000 commission checks in a month!

Sep 20, 2018 – Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review and comparisons to other staff/recruitment firms out there. We work hard to offer something different to our staff and a real development opportunity. Whilst number are... More

2. "Collaborative Environment"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The recent roll out of new company wide values and a new career structure have really helped improve transparency and visibility in the business.

There are great people at Spencer Ogden who make coming to work each day extremely motivating.

Cons

Toughest part of being in a high growth business is consistency and communication, albeit these are being improved. There is always pressure to do deals!

Advice to Management

Keep listening to staff at all levels, empowering and building a great culture.

Jan 23, 2019 – Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your balanced review.

3. "Happy to be here"

Current Employee - Support Team in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Support Team in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture! It is very progressive and challenges you to work smarter and be creative and rewards you for it.

Cons

When there are cons managers and senior management do look to discuss and resolve those issues. Thats a breath of fresh air for those who are familiar with how the back office/support usually just have to deal and carry on.

Mar 11, 2019 – Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review and I am glad you are enjoying the culture at SO

"A Colossal Failure"

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The consultants you get to work with are mostly fun, its a nice office

Cons

Oh where to begin... for one, avoid at all costs
    We're constantly hiring new people because we can't keep anyone - LITERALLY my entire team has changed since I joined a little over a year ago bcause the company is really good at falsifying how the company is actually doing
    Your market changes constantly so as soon as you get some traction somewhere your re-directed
    The manages are super young and don't have a lot of experience... but we can't get experienced people because no one stays longer than 2 years
    One manager tells you to do one thing, then another manager tells you to do another so you get contradicting view points all the time
    the managesr go into the board room and come out and say 'you have to do this' and then don't have any reason for it and then a week later its forgotten
    i know multiple people who have had to pay their commission (the ones who got it anyway) BACK to the company
    ive never had any sort of development plan even though we're supposed to get them
    The place is an absolute joke

Advice to Management

the board should be comprised of neutral parties outside of the company, NOT employees because you guys are only going to do whats best for you, hence why consultants get screwed all the time and no one stays for any length of time... That's not a "board", that's a management club.
    stop letting children (IE 30 year olds) have so much responsibility ... oh wait you can't do that bc the longest people stick around is 2 years top and thats a scarce few

Apr 15, 2019 – Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review and I am sorry your experience with us is so different from most.

I can assure you we are not falsifying anything around performance. 2018 was our best financial... More

5. "Great sales experience"

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time

Pros

Great environment to work in

Cons

Have to pay for parking everyday

Dec 10, 2018 – Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your short review! Happy you are enjoying our environment and culture

6. "Spencer Ogden"

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time

Pros

Young, trendy and daring. Spencer Ogden aims to breath new life into an old industry by empowering college interns and new graduates with decades of high level experiences. SO is worth it.

Cons

Like most Talent Acquisition companies, it's plagued by a high turn around by default due to the nature of the industry combined with the young inexperienced talent who have not yet known what it's truly like to struggle in a highly competitive industry. Most quite due to the constant rejection.

Advice to Management

Replicate top talent habits by designing a high level course that details the most successful habits of the highest level performers. Everything must be taken into account; physical health, mental health and quality of life. Take a look at most of the top performers and tell that those individuals are not in shape and have a busy social life. Those habits show in there work. That's what needs to be replicated.

Oct 3, 2018 – Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review.

"Long Term Changes"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Having been with Spencer Ogden for a number of years now it has been exciting and interesting to see how the company has developed. When I began the company purely focused on having the "biggest billers" no matter what the cost to the teams and offices as a whole. As the years have progressed Spencer Ogden have taken a step backed and assessed how the company wants to be perceived and how to properly develop their consultants to be well rounded professional industry experts. The transition has been long but they are now seeing the results of much higher retention rates and better performances from the company as a whole.

I am of the belief that this people focus rather than number focus is the right path and will serve the company in good stead both now and moving forward.

Cons

The company is always in growth mode so there can be a few difficulties with people adapting to the ambitious plans and teams.

Advice to Management

Don't revert back to old ways if the numbers falter a bit, and make sure to maintain your focus on developing well rounded consultants.

Sep 27, 2018 – Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review and service/loyalty to the business. I too believe we have truly evolved into a peoples based business with a brand to be proud of that will see us hit our growth plans.

"You get what you give"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Spencer Ogden isn’t easy. Like the Navy Seals, The New England Patriots, Manchester United or any high performing organization Spencer Ogden strives for excellence. We seek to surround ourselves with people who strive for greatness, dare to dream big, and who are committed to building a legacy in business & beyond.

Nelson Mandela once said “There is no passion to be found playing small.” At Spencer Ogden we play big.

This job's not for everyone. It requires a strong work ethic, passion, commitment, creativity, resilience (there will be hard days), vision and the desire to want to be a future leader in an organization, instead of “Another Brick in the Wall" at some company.

Not everyone will succeed, but for those who give a continuous effort day in & day out the sky’s-the-limit for your career at Spencer Ogden.

Cons

You get what you give. The greater the effort, the greater the success. Not everyone can handle that.

Sep 19, 2018 – Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review.

"Spencer Ogden - New York - Clear Vision and a Path to Further Success"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Spencer Ogden is an ideal place for entry-level/1-2 year experienced folks to experience a high-class learning and development program that fully sets you up for success, no matter which career trajectory you decide to choose. I've never experienced an environment and culture that is so supportive, hardworking, and genuinely good people more so than I do here in SO NYC.

I have the Director of the entire Americas going on meetings with me to help me become better in Business Development and to be there for support.

The clear communication from senior management sets the tone for an office environment of transparency and clear visibility about the goals and targets set for the growth of the office.

The vision is very clear, and I am beyond excited to see how my personal career will continue to develop and how the individuals around me (and the prospective ones that join) achieve their goals and become successful.

Cons

I have no cons at this time .

Sep 19, 2018 – Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review and I am glad you are seeing the benefit of our Learning and Development programmes. We are equally excited about your personal development and career with us.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Ambitious growth plans have seen the company grow from 20 to circa 500 people in 8 years. If you can ride that wave which will continue, the career opportunities are arguably the best in Recruitment; not just in promotions and earnings, also exposure and responsibility opportunities.
    The biggest positive changes made over the 8 years are the back office infrastructure such as training and development focus for careers. The Learning and Development teams are now highly skilled individuals and well structured and also seek external experts and consultants to conduct courses. The leadership team has been through many training courses in the last three years to up skill the middle management team which has resulted in many of the board and senior management are organically grown graduates themselves.
    Graduates have a clear plan and focus and are guaranteed success in their first 6 months by their reporting team leader, who is accountable for giving them the platform to succeed.
    The environment is intentionally more mature and patient than the industry norm. As a start up, you are required to be creative to make decisions, such as empowering juniors to come up with ideas; for example there is a monthly rookie meeting where ideas of training topics and challenges are shared with management.
    As an Energy and Infrastructure agency, they have weathered market conditions and have diversified to ensure future growth. They are also backed financially by a very stable investor.
    Finally the internal transfer policy is great, I have worked in three offices in three continents.
    Now in NY, there is a clear vision of growth in terms of headcount, hierarchy, profit and the most important part; How. This has personally helped me aim for 3 and 6 year success targets.

Cons

At an entry level, Recruitment is very hard, it is sales and there is a freedom that requires drive and self discipline to be successful, it wont be for everyone. The industry requires a lot of communication via phone, email and face to face meetings with clients and candidates such as sales pitches and candidates. This is not as easy as it sounds. So training will consist of theory and throwing yourself into tasks, trusting in the process of trial and error. Its an experience based job, no one is perfect and you cant be born with it, but there is a skill set that can be developed and mastered. The first year you will make mistakes, the second year you will fix them, the third year you should feel like a subject matter expert.
    These challenges mean there will be really hard times, days when you question why you do it, but the wins are incredibly satisfying. The best people ask questions, listen well and implement quickly.
    With Spencer Ogden specifically and as a startup moving to a medium size company, there are growing pains and that will never stop. You will be the guinea pig for new ideas. This can be a positive as you can impact change, it can also frustrate you when decisions are made for the good of all not just one. You have to be open to change be able to adapt.
    Finally, income is very low to start with and it takes time to build a portfolio that will ensure high income. Long term, repeat business from clients you develop should mean this problem subsides.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in people at all levels, be patient with their results as they learn the job as they go, and listen to people of all levels to find out the challenges people face with each responsibility grade. Communication from top to bottom has improved dramatically and needs to continue and not plateau.

Sep 14, 2018 – Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your balanced review of our Americas offering.