Spencer Ogden Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Spencer Ogden Chief Executive Officer Bradley Lewington
Bradley Lewington

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The opportunities that can be offered to you if you’re willing to put in some hard work can be life changing" (in 25 reviews)

• "Spencer Ogden gives people the chance to change their lives with an uncapped commission structure" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Compromised work-life balance at times" (in 10 reviews)

• "Can be hard work and can stress you out" (in 12 reviews)

"Team Leader"

Current Employee - Team Leader in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Team Leader in New York, NY

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Spencer Ogden is an awesome place to work. Having worked at more than one recruitment agency in the past, I'm able to compare it with multiple other environments.

Spencer Ogden is definitely a people business vs. a numbers business. I've had times at the company where I've had challenging months or quarters and I always felt supported and as if the company had my back and would work with me to get back on track. I have always wanted to take on feedback and adapt my approaches, and the response to this attitude within the business has always been incredible.

I've been fortunate enough to be presented with some many different opportunities and market focuses at Spencer Ogden. We also have a program which supports you relocating to one of our many offices worldwide (if you hit your targets), which I have taken full advantage of!

Our Learning and Development team are best in class, when I first started recruiting at a different agency, I had no support, no training and no structure. This is so common for most of my other friends in the sector. Spencer Ogden invest weeks in training graduates and new starters, we have some of the best trainers in the business. We also have regular temperature checks and call coaching from our trainers as you progress through the business. Even the leadership team gets regular training - we always want to keep improving!

Spencer Ogden New York is one of SO's most promising offices, its going from strength to strength and is one of our top performing office across the Americas. We are getting repeat business from huge clients and are truly going from strength to strength.

Cons

It's one of those jobs where you get out what you put in. You need to put in the hard work, longer hours, go the extra mile to really set yourself apart from the competition. But this is the same with any recruitment agency.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting and developing juniors coming up in the business, there's nothing better than seeing folks in their early twenties taking home 20,000 commission checks in a month!

Sep 20, 2018 – Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review and comparisons to other staff/recruitment firms out there. We work hard to offer something different to our staff and a real development opportunity. Whilst number are... More

"You get what you give"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Spencer Ogden isn’t easy. Like the Navy Seals, The New England Patriots, Manchester United or any high performing organization Spencer Ogden strives for excellence. We seek to surround ourselves with people who strive for greatness, dare to dream big, and who are committed to building a legacy in business & beyond.

Nelson Mandela once said “There is no passion to be found playing small.” At Spencer Ogden we play big.

This job's not for everyone. It requires a strong work ethic, passion, commitment, creativity, resilience (there will be hard days), vision and the desire to want to be a future leader in an organization, instead of “Another Brick in the Wall" at some company.

Not everyone will succeed, but for those who give a continuous effort day in & day out the sky’s-the-limit for your career at Spencer Ogden.

Cons

You get what you give. The greater the effort, the greater the success. Not everyone can handle that.

Sep 19, 2018 – Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review.

3. "Spencer Ogden"

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time

Pros

Young, trendy and daring. Spencer Ogden aims to breath new life into an old industry by empowering college interns and new graduates with decades of high level experiences. SO is worth it.

Cons

Like most Talent Acquisition companies, it's plagued by a high turn around by default due to the nature of the industry combined with the young inexperienced talent who have not yet known what it's truly like to struggle in a highly competitive industry. Most quite due to the constant rejection.

Advice to Management

Replicate top talent habits by designing a high level course that details the most successful habits of the highest level performers. Everything must be taken into account; physical health, mental health and quality of life. Take a look at most of the top performers and tell that those individuals are not in shape and have a busy social life. Those habits show in there work. That's what needs to be replicated.

Oct 3, 2018 – Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review.

"Spencer Ogden - New York - Clear Vision and a Path to Further Success"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Spencer Ogden is an ideal place for entry-level/1-2 year experienced folks to experience a high-class learning and development program that fully sets you up for success, no matter which career trajectory you decide to choose. I've never experienced an environment and culture that is so supportive, hardworking, and genuinely good people more so than I do here in SO NYC.

I have the Director of the entire Americas going on meetings with me to help me become better in Business Development and to be there for support.

The clear communication from senior management sets the tone for an office environment of transparency and clear visibility about the goals and targets set for the growth of the office.

The vision is very clear, and I am beyond excited to see how my personal career will continue to develop and how the individuals around me (and the prospective ones that join) achieve their goals and become successful.

Cons

I have no cons at this time .

Sep 19, 2018 – Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review and I am glad you are seeing the benefit of our Learning and Development programmes. We are equally excited about your personal development and career with us.

"Senior Consultant"

Former Employee - Senor Consulstant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senor Consulstant in New York, NY

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great introduction to the sales environment and hard work ethic.

Cons

Shay payment schemes. Shay management most from the UK.

Advice to Management

Clear commission plan without burden and override that makes everything into a complex math equation.

Oct 3, 2018 – Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review. We believe our commission scheme to be wholly transparent and rewarding of the behaviours and skills we are looking for from our team. I am sorry this wasn't your... More

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Ambitious growth plans have seen the company grow from 20 to circa 500 people in 8 years. If you can ride that wave which will continue, the career opportunities are arguably the best in Recruitment; not just in promotions and earnings, also exposure and responsibility opportunities.
    The biggest positive changes made over the 8 years are the back office infrastructure such as training and development focus for careers. The Learning and Development teams are now highly skilled individuals and well structured and also seek external experts and consultants to conduct courses. The leadership team has been through many training courses in the last three years to up skill the middle management team which has resulted in many of the board and senior management are organically grown graduates themselves.
    Graduates have a clear plan and focus and are guaranteed success in their first 6 months by their reporting team leader, who is accountable for giving them the platform to succeed.
    The environment is intentionally more mature and patient than the industry norm. As a start up, you are required to be creative to make decisions, such as empowering juniors to come up with ideas; for example there is a monthly rookie meeting where ideas of training topics and challenges are shared with management.
    As an Energy and Infrastructure agency, they have weathered market conditions and have diversified to ensure future growth. They are also backed financially by a very stable investor.
    Finally the internal transfer policy is great, I have worked in three offices in three continents.
    Now in NY, there is a clear vision of growth in terms of headcount, hierarchy, profit and the most important part; How. This has personally helped me aim for 3 and 6 year success targets.

Cons

At an entry level, Recruitment is very hard, it is sales and there is a freedom that requires drive and self discipline to be successful, it wont be for everyone. The industry requires a lot of communication via phone, email and face to face meetings with clients and candidates such as sales pitches and candidates. This is not as easy as it sounds. So training will consist of theory and throwing yourself into tasks, trusting in the process of trial and error. Its an experience based job, no one is perfect and you cant be born with it, but there is a skill set that can be developed and mastered. The first year you will make mistakes, the second year you will fix them, the third year you should feel like a subject matter expert.
    These challenges mean there will be really hard times, days when you question why you do it, but the wins are incredibly satisfying. The best people ask questions, listen well and implement quickly.
    With Spencer Ogden specifically and as a startup moving to a medium size company, there are growing pains and that will never stop. You will be the guinea pig for new ideas. This can be a positive as you can impact change, it can also frustrate you when decisions are made for the good of all not just one. You have to be open to change be able to adapt.
    Finally, income is very low to start with and it takes time to build a portfolio that will ensure high income. Long term, repeat business from clients you develop should mean this problem subsides.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in people at all levels, be patient with their results as they learn the job as they go, and listen to people of all levels to find out the challenges people face with each responsibility grade. Communication from top to bottom has improved dramatically and needs to continue and not plateau.

Sep 14, 2018 – Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your balanced review of our Americas offering.

"Long Term Changes"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Having been with Spencer Ogden for a number of years now it has been exciting and interesting to see how the company has developed. When I began the company purely focused on having the "biggest billers" no matter what the cost to the teams and offices as a whole. As the years have progressed Spencer Ogden have taken a step backed and assessed how the company wants to be perceived and how to properly develop their consultants to be well rounded professional industry experts. The transition has been long but they are now seeing the results of much higher retention rates and better performances from the company as a whole.

I am of the belief that this people focus rather than number focus is the right path and will serve the company in good stead both now and moving forward.

Cons

The company is always in growth mode so there can be a few difficulties with people adapting to the ambitious plans and teams.

Advice to Management

Don't revert back to old ways if the numbers falter a bit, and make sure to maintain your focus on developing well rounded consultants.

Sep 27, 2018 – Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review and service/loyalty to the business. I too believe we have truly evolved into a peoples based business with a brand to be proud of that will see us hit our growth plans.

8. "You Make Your Own Luck"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been in the staffing game for the better part of the decade and I have been a part of the Spencer Ogden for about 5 months. I came to SO because there is truly a positive energy full of ambition and possibility. The positive is that SO's market is unique and the opportunity to succeed is truly up to you. The market is ripe for the taking. You make your own luck at SO.

What really drew me to Spencer Ogden was the opportunity to build something special and forge a professional legacy. The company is always searching for leaders at every level and the opportunity for success, achievement, and growth is unlike anything I have ever been a part of . Upper management truly wishes everyone to succeed and backs it up with mentoring, trainings, and industry education all at your fingertips

Cons

SO America is finding its way and with that come growing pains. Growing pains that take time to hash out and it doesn't happen overnight. The good is that SO is committed to getting right. Recruitment overall is a tough business and not for everyone so I do believe that the cons are similar to most recruitment firms - sticking it out. Yes this is business and we all have to produce, but the common harshness of sales/recruitment comes with the territory. It is a career not a pitstop and the con will be for those that treat as something temporary.

Advice to Management

Believe in your people. Be patient. Let them grow and evolve to success. It can't be forced, but continue to strive for excellence by investing in those who want to be successful. be

"Things to consider about the Houston office..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The other Spencer Ogden offices around the world seem like they're in much better shape than the Houston office. But overall, you get good PTO, paid holidays, and the last week of the year you're off! The insurance is pretty good too. Some people that work at the company are really great and will help you grow.

Cons

1. They don't provide paid parking or even a stipend to cover atleast some of the costs associated with parking yet they manage to spend the budget on frivolous things such as personalized items. You can't "build a legacy" if your turnover rate is so high that no one stays longer than a year to build a legacy.
    2. There's a lack of professionalism from upper management. Talking about one employee to another, and disclosing absolute confidential information openly is not transperancy, it should be an HR violation. Don't worry about reporting it to HR though, because they're usually in the room watching this take place in complete silence.
    3. The upper most management in Houston dictates over the office with zero control over their emotions. All the employees are always on edge to see who will get fired or in trouble for the most diminutive reason. The office consists mostly of a younger demographic that are just starting their careers, therefore, the fear of losing their jobs is real. They remain quiet, and the dictatorial tactics continue.
    4. The company culture was once the greatest perks of working there. Since the management change, it's been dreadful.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to management in the Houston office. But if the head office is seeing this, the ship is sinking and you should come down and see this for yourselves. There is ZERO trust between employees and managers at the Houston office, and it's high time that head office intervenes and figures out what the root causes are. If your employees are unhappy and miserable, nobody wins.
    Also since they love quoting books, perhaps a book on emotional intelligence in the work space might beneficial to the upper most management.

"Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Collaborative environment and team mentality - you succeed as a team and you fail as a team
    -Management is genuinely invested in your professional development
    -Clearly defined targets and goals
    -Empowered to make your own decisions, you are not told what to do but coached into becoming a better professional
    -Great incentive and rewards programs that keep work interesting on a daily basis

Cons

You get out what you put in, the success you earn is based on the work and dedication you commit

Aug 16, 2018 – Director -People and Infrastructure

Thank you for your review. Really pleased you are enjoying your time with us. Its crucial to us that employees feel supported and developed. You grow, we grow!
    We've worked hard to develop a world... More