Spencer Ogden Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Spencer Ogden Chief Executive Officer Bradley Lewington
Bradley Lewington

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Whilst working at Spencer-Ogden is hard work the earning potential is huge (in 21 reviews)

• Extremely upbeat work environment, bright colors, beautiful highly designed work space (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Compromised work-life balance at times (in 10 reviews)

• The company tries to encourage a 'Wolf of Wall Street' vibe, which entails a lad culture and cut throat enviornment (in 8 reviews)

1. "I Love It"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The environment is great and my colleagues have become some of my best friends. Management truly care about their employees & their futures. I've had some of the best times of my life working for this company. While working here I've seen people make 70k, 20k, 17k, 5k, commission checks a month, every month... That's life changing money. Spencer Ogden gives people the chance to change their lives with an uncapped commission structure. It's a great place to learn how to grow a business.

Cons

Recruitment also isn't for everyone. If you aren't a positive person, you wont do well. If you don't like talking to people, you wont do well.

Advice to Management

Flex hours.... Lets have flex hours.

Jul 3, 2017 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review. Thrilled that you are enjoying working with us and fulfilling your career goals.

"Be careful"

Pros

It's an aggressive sales environment, and if you feel that's a good environment to be in then this place might work for you.

Cons

Bullying, inadequate training, managers picking favorites, lack of communication, no 401k match, benefits are not very good, bait and switch in regards to job role and what you'd actually do, manager does not care for your well being or your growth and progress.

Advice to Management

To the management team in Denver, you guys are still growing and the type of environment you have fostered has been hostile, unprofessional and not helpful towards new hires. It seems as if you are out for yourself and not working in a team mentality. The discriminatory behavior has also an effect on the environment and hope that will change because it is not legal to treat people based off of their mental health, race, gender, etc. please take this into consideration.

Aug 15, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for taking time to submit your feedback. We are sorry to see your experience with Spencer Ogden is not as positive as we would hope.

We will take your comments regarding benefits... More

"Senior Consultant"

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time

Pros

I had a fantastic training experience when I started with SO (with a trainer who has since left the company unfortunately). From time to time there are fun competition days and a company happy hour or catered meal (probably once quarterly). Lots of young people (a lot of SHSU, SFA, or Texas State Grads). Office has a unique vibe.

Cons

1.)Cutting Commission
    Technically your commission is uncapped, but if you rise to one of the top performers, you'll be pressured to move to a level where you move to a straight salary model. If somehow you manage to not be pushed into straight salary, chances are you will face a cut in your commission, especially if you have a recruiters making placements under you.

2.) Switching Territories Abruptly
    The success of the Houston office meant that the company could expand to regional offices across the US. As the other regional offices struggle, management decided that business someone in Houston developed then had to be handed to people in other regions and anything you develop now is expected to be handed over as well. Once again, you are screwing with your teams pockets if you are realigning territories. Building up a pipeline and having to basically hand it over is a great way to demotivate some one.

3.) Managers
    Managers face some of the most pressure from the Director and higher-ups. This pressure often trickles down and turns into micro-management where your call times are logged and your minute by minute day plan is expected. Also, managers having relationships with Recruiters isn't good for overall morale.

5.) "Seat in chairs" mentality
    If your top billers scoring BIG DEALS visiting clients, there is no need for them to be in the office everyday from 8:00-5:30...

6.) Retention
    In my first year, I watched nearly all the experienced Sales team leave mostly for the reasons listed above. In general, retention in the recruitment industry is bad, but Spencer Ogden has a much bigger problem than they like to admit. They'll say that their retention is higher, but it's mostly the retention of inexperienced recruiters and not sales people. Not very fun to work in an office where you're watching people leave weekly.

7.) Future Uncertainty
    Houston is the only profitable office in the United States and the loss of several of the top performers and managers this year has put even that office in a precarious spot. The original CEO stepped aside earlier this year for a much younger internal candidate. Rumors in the industry are that the writing is on the wall.

Jul 5, 2017 – Ops Director

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'd like to address each point raised as they are inaccurate at best.

1. Cutting commission - we DO have an uncapped commission scheme for those... More

"Recruitment Consultant"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The office (Houston) is nice. Has a really nice modern vibe. Your work space is a little small so it can be cramped at times. Training was too notch but they lost their best trainer when they refused to let her relocate back to her home city of London. They have finally added a wonderful HR manager Destiny, which was much needed in this office environment.

Cons

Extremely unprofessional. The upper management parties with their employees on weekends and has very inappropriate relationships together. Upper management flies in from NYC and drugs are rampant at many "work" get togethers. It definitely blurs the lines of professionalism and social life, which can be difficult when you don't hit your goals and you get fired. Also, internal recruitment promises you these extravagant numbers. "You start at $30K but you can make commission from day 1". It is RARE for you to make commission in your first 6 months. I think this company has SO much potential but is ruined by upper management. Turnover is VERY high in the Houston office. There is nothing wrong with a fun, social work environment but they take it a little too far. Commission is mostly 30/70 on perm placements with your managers taking most of the cut, which I found to be a little greedy. Contract is 50/50 unless it has changed.

Advice to Management

Set boundaries with your employees. Raise base salaries. Aerotek has raised theirs to 50K and that makes being a trainee easier. Have consistent office rules for contract and perm and make sure they're enforced.

Jul 25, 2017 – Head of Operations

Thank you for taking time to write a review of your employment with Spencer Ogden. We are pleased to inform you that many of your points have been addressed since your time with us.

We are very... More

"Recruiter"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Houston, TX

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, benefits aren't bad, good vacation

Cons

There are a lot of internal politics
    Management is incredibly reactive instead of proactive, quick to make decisions that aren't always the most logical or tactful
    Some Account Managers will only distribute roles to their favorite recruiters, essentially hand-picking who commissions go to
    No flex-hours
    Salaries are all over the place
    There is a blatant fear within management to address unethical and immoral behaviors from consultants who are doing well for the business financially - very much a "don't bite the hand that feeds you" mentality

Advice to Management

Align salaries
    Stop arbitrarily handing out promotions
    Start managing from a moral point of view instead of a financial one

Jul 3, 2017 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review. As you are a current employee I'd be keen to talk more with you about some of your comments that concern me. Please feel free to reach out confidentially.

I can assure... More

6. "Senior Lead"

Current Employee - Senior Lead in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Lead in Denver, CO

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

From a cultural perspective, our office is 5 star. We have a collaborative and synergistic group of hard working individuals with a common goal of success. While changes tend to move slowly since we are a large, global organization, the executive team does take heed in employees' suggestions.

There are a lot of recruitment agencies that hire recent grads in large classes and put them through a boot-camp type training and expect essentially only the strong to survive. Spencer-Ogden has done this in the past but recognizes that this isn't the most effective way to hire and rather identifies qualified individuals through a diligent internal recruitment process. In this way, SO identifies talent that has the resilience to work in this industry. Recruitment is not an easy industry and will always be competitive. Not everyone is suited for the ups & downs that this job can bring so to be successful here, you have to have the right attitude and a thick skin.

Which brings me to my final pro-point and that is if you have the right attitude and determination, there are the management mechanisms in place to help you to get where you want to go in your career. Regardless of your level, from entry up to management, Spencer-Ogden is a great place to grow your career.

Cons

Spencer-Ogden is a UK based firm so there are some cultural shifts someone who is used to working for American owned companies. Certainly not a "con", but can be an adjustment for those not expecting it.

Getting new processes in place can take a long time as we are still relatively start-up in the US and a global company with the Executive team sitting in London.

I've worked at a couple different agencies in the past and I have to say that SO is not the highest paying by a long shot. The commission structure has been under review for at least 6 months and while in need of a major revamp and in recognizing this can take time, it needs to be updated and soon.

Advice to Management

My biggest recommendation would be to update the commission structure. Second would be to decrease the time that it takes to implement changes from both a technology as well as a personnel perspective.

Jun 14, 2017 – Ops Director

Thank you for your candid review in which you make some excellent points.

"I would recommend recruiting, Not Spencer- Ogden (Please Read)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very fun office, friendly people, young environment. Lot's of energy and activities.

Cons

I want to be honest, and not just bash the company because Henry (the director) is really trying to make some changes. Most of the negative comments are extremely accurate and I find it shocking the response that management has given to the employees that had a bad experience.

No recruitment is not for everyone, but there are some serious problems within the Spencer Ogden community. My experience was this: I got hired, was really excited and when I got to my desk I realized that it was nothing like I thought. There were no jobs to staff, I received little to no attention or training from my manager. When I would ask questions, I was told to "figure it out". My teammates would work on jobs and not tell me about them. You may go months without pulling a job, or making a deal. Granted this depends on the sector you're placed in. Everyone that got hired with me, has left. Not because recruiting is bad, but because the Spencer Ogden experience was pretty humiliating.

Because everyone there is so tight knit, its hard to talk to anyone about your real concerns. You have to basically just take it or quit. And seeing the response that the "Managing Ops" has for the negative reviews should give you an idea of why it's so hard for people to give feedback. Management, instead of taking it seriously, mocks and blames the employee for failing.

Please, if you really want a fair chance at recruiting DO NOT use Spencer Ogden as the vehicle. I promise you are better than that. There are other companies that will truly value you, not this one.

Advice to Management

There are some people that join the company truly wanting to be successful and begin a career. Investing in the teams with training, inclusive feedback, and tangible implementation would have made my experience very different.
    Just because someone is successful at selling, does not make them an adequate leader or manager. When you manage people, that truly means people, not just KPI's. Manager's should be assessed on how they develop new hires, that may prompt them to invest time in them.

Jun 14, 2017 – Ops Director

Thank you for your review and I am sorry your experience with us wasnt positive. I am sorry you felt mislead in relation to the type of desk you would be building at Spencer Ogden. Most of our desks... More

"Doesn't Recommend"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Houston, TX

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office is fun on Fridays and sometimes there are fun outings.

Cons

A week long training only on how to make calls and then they throw out to the wolves. During my interview process I was told I'd be mentored and set up for success and that was not the case. Instead I learned people backstab, steal and lie for deals. Everyone just wants their money and to sell the company. There's no clear managerial structure. It's all about looks, drugs and what everyone is doing that weekend instead of real work. The database is a joke - everyone duplicates and adds unnecessary data just to avoid missing out on their KPI's - some have gotten lucky and are seen as the top dogs but can't seem to find that luck again.

Advice to Management

Truly develop your employees - after academy there's no checking in or further development. There needs to be stronger manager/employee relationship rules. It's hard to take them seriously when they are sleeping with your counter parts. Follow through with promises and turn down the drama. The retention rate is terrible 3 people left in my first 2 months. Try sitting down and actually listening to reviews and feedback to make the work place more comfortable

9. "Recruitment Consultant"

I worked at Spencer Ogden full-time

Pros

Very comprehensive on job training and rewarding salary structure

Cons

generally i guess they re the best in the industry

"Fun but high functioning business"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Spencer Ogden full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working for SO is refreshing having been in recruitment a number of years. SO is both a fun place to work combined with fair but high standards for performance and behaviors. This fits well with my personal ethics and goals.

Cons

More comprehensive OTJ training for more junior consultants would be useful, but I think that is down to the individual managers to deliver.

Feb 21, 2017 – Ops Director

Thank you for your refreshing review! Noted re OTJ training.