Spencer Pest Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 6, 2017

3.5
Sheri Spencer Bachman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best employer I ever had"

Former Employee - Shining Star of Operations in Vero Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Shining Star of Operations in Vero Beach, FL

I worked at Spencer Pest Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company culture and management was always open to suggestions on how to improve work processes. Gained years of small business knowledge from ownership.

Cons

They never conned anyone.......

Advice to Management

Don't stop being Spencer

"Great place to work!!"

Current Employee - Inside Sales/Customer Service in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Inside Sales/Customer Service in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Spencer Pest Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I couldn't ask for a better place to work at. The owner Sheri is amazing and listens to everyone that works for her. You can always get ahold of her if you need. The atmosphere here is great. I really enjoy coming to work and trying to help grow the company every day. It is growing fast but still has a family feeling. Everyone employed here now is a great addition to our team. I'm so glad I work here. Spencer always has their customer's best interest in mind. They show their appreciation to all of us on a regular basis. They really make you feel like your opinion matters and that you're of value to the company. I started as a Service Pro and now work inside and enjoy learning as much as I can to help benefit the company and myself. I see myself working here until I'm ready to retire, which I hope is a very long time.

Cons

Sometimes we keep someone around to long that doesn't have the company's best interest in mind.

Advice to Management

Keep doing an amazing job! Every manager we have right now is awesome!! Thank you for letting us know we matter each day.

3. "Outside Salesperson"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Spencer Pest Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great company to work for! They seem to really care about their people. I have been an outside salesperson for a competitor and the difference is amazing. Pay is much better- I have made more money in the last year than I ever did at the competitor's company and I was there for several years. I do not feel like a number- I feel like a valuable part of the team. I am able to work independently without feeling left out of the team. They are constantly working on getting me appointments so I can get in front of the customer. I get a company vehicle, iphone, and ipad to make my job easier- everything is paperless so I don't have to worry about losing anything. I really enjoy it here- I truly feel cared for as an employee and feel like my opinion matters. I feel like a part of the family.

Cons

Sometimes a bad employee is kept on staff too long. It gets hard to stay positive at times when I am surrounded by negativity when interacting with a bad employee.

Advice to Management

Continue hiring to the culture put in place. There is a great team here- let's be sure to continue to add good people and weed out the bad ones sooner.

4. "Family Owned and it shows"

Current Employee - Service Professional in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Service Professional in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Spencer Pest Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I came from a company that had around 300 employees and felt like a number. Spencer Pest cares about it's employees and it shows. While I have worked here there was an employee that had their house burn down. The owner gave her personal money to help and created a gofundme page and put it on the company facebook page. They buy breakfast for the staff meetings and care about each employees family members. I feel for the first time like I am working towards a goal and growing in the process.

I have a company vehicle and work to do each day. The pay starts above average and the managers make it clear that they will take care of employees that take care of their customers and the company. Advancement and benefits happen quick.

The company always want's to make it right by the customer and frequently takes a hit on the job to hold their end of the deal instead of walking away from a job.

This year for Thanksgiving the owner bought everyone a turkey for their family.

They have plans for growth and talk about it in the staff meetings.

Cons

They are working to get major medical coverage, hopefully have some options in 2017.

Advice to Management

Continue to make it feel like family and keep buying breakfast! The annual Christmas party this year was the best its been since I've been here. The kids loved Dave and Busters and the free games and food!

5. "If you like being micromanaged and lied to, this is the place for you!"

I worked at Spencer Pest Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Money is good if you don't mind being micromanaged and lied to, and don't mind being expected to lie to customers and push them into purchases they don't need or want.

Cons

DISHONEST MANAGEMENT, micro-managing, lack of ethics, and major nepotism! The only way to be successful with this company is to lie, cheat, or be a member of the owner's family.
    No benefits.

6. "Dishonest Employer"

I worked at Spencer Pest Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros for working at this company. Dishonesty reigns supreme. Don't waste your time with them. I wish I hadn't.

Cons

For the first couple of weeks the members of management will seem so friendly. Then it all goes out of the window. I'm not sure what they are looking for in employees, but it isn't hard work and honesty. They lie and scheme when it comes to new people. I trusted them and they burned me. I just want to warn prospective employees. They will burn you too. Don't trust them.

Advice to Management

You really need to learn to communicate what you're looking for from your employees. And stop with the facade. Dishonest dealings make for a poor reputation.

"Terrible place to work."

I worked at Spencer Pest Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no real pros to working for this company. They seem to hire and fire at will with no real forethought or insight.

Cons

Their pay is constantly changing and they have a very exclusive few that run the company. It is a family and friends company and outsiders are not welcome. Unethical behavior is par for the course within this company. They rip people off constantly, have no accounting department and do poor quality work; having seen it myself. They have no idea how to run a business and their SOP changes daily. They never do thorough termite inspections and do not understand how to properly use their products; including sentricon and insecticides, which they spray in quantities far above label recommendations. It is a wonder this place is still open. The company culture is awful and is full of backstabbing and lying. They tell you they will give you a car and a phone and an Ipad, but neglect to tell you they will charge you daily for their use. As an employee, you are also liable for any and all damage to their vehicles up to the deductible which is $500 and up. I have seen many people fired without reason including myself. Very strange place and a place to avoid at all costs.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to stop with the nepotism and learn to work with people other than friends and family. You have had no decent employees in years because of these practices.