Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
David Strickler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great team of hard working people doing the day-to-day work (in 4 reviews)

• Really like all the people; feel part of larger team; honest, hard working people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to be dedicated and be able to figure out your own work/life balance right from the get-go (in 5 reviews)

• No upper management support when pressured and bullied by customers (in 8 reviews)

1. "Spencer Review"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I started at Spencer it was an entry level position. I worked hard to prove my skill set and work ethic, and have made my way into a secure position on the team. The group of people we work with are the best of the best and I'm honored to call them colleagues. There are so many opportunities to learn and grow here, and the resources available are endless. There is flexibility when needed, because at the end of the day, we are all people and this company understands that. It offers hard, challenging work, with the opportunity to make a difference and provide outstanding customer service to some of the best clients in the world.

Cons

I mentioned this as a pro, but I can also mention as a con - this is HARD WORK and not for the faint of heart. You have to be dedicated and be able to figure out your own work/life balance right from the get-go. Some days can be stressful due to client issues, internal issues, etc. but it's all on how you intake, react, repair, and move forward.

Explaining this when onboarding new personnel should be improved, and updated job descriptions would go a long way in ensuring we are attracting the proper types of people.

Advice to Management

You can only do so much at once. Take one task, see it to fruition, and move on to the next. We have a tendency to try to fix a lot at once but sometimes nothing ends up being fixed at all.

"Telecom / Data Technician"

Former Employee - Technician in Cape May Ch, NJ
    Former Employee - Technician in Cape May Ch, NJ

I worked at Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A company work vehicle.
    Company credit cards for over night stays & necessary field materials.

Cons

Everything else.
    Seemingly, very very poor field management & if needed, field assistance.
    A 1 week “ride along, on the job training”.
    2 tiers of hourly pay, 1 for “windshield time”, driving hours to, from & in between job assignments, which is more than half of your technician pay rate, which is the 2nd half.
    Example: 3-4 drive time @ $9.75 per hour to job site. 3-4 hrs at tech rate @ $19.00 per hour, then 3-4 again @ drive time rate to next field assignment ( which is most often the case) or your return home.
    If your next assignment is an overnighter, you are provided a list of cheap lodging places & it’s your problem to find a nearby lodging within their expense rate or find a place miles out of your way just to find a spot to lay your head to sleep & clean-up before your next job.
    A good deal of the assignments are retail mall or small businesses where you may be locked in overnight & sometimes with a 3rd party tech as your helper which in some cases are totally useless, because they are inexperienced, have no work ethics, no pocket tools or are “just there !”

There are many, many more CONs, but if you are willing to work in this sort of environment, “Go for it”.
    You may look back on it as the best leap of faith you’ve ever taken Or you may look back on it as “A lesson we’ll Learned”

Good Luck

Advice to Management

Change !

3. "Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northborough, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northborough, MA

I have been working at Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Spencer Technologies cares about the employees and their well-being. When I wanted to expand my horizons and try something new, they gave me the opportunity to work in a different department. Great, dedicated people fill this company! I recommend any hard-working individual who would like to expand their capabilities to apply.

Cons

Demanding hours, you must learn to balance work and life. This is not necessarily a con, but you must be the right type of person to be "Spencer." If you want an 8-5 job that requires no extra hours or effort, then Spencer Tech is not for you. But if you are willing to put in the effort and time, it will show in your work and management will notice.

Advice to Management

Keep moving towards progress!

4. "Project Coordinator"

I worked at Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts) full-time

Pros

Casual Dress is the only pro I can think of right now.

Cons

LONG hours, no work life balance

5. "Lacking direction"

Former Employee - Business Development in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Business Development in Boston, MA

I worked at Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fortunate to have good people that are willing to work in a less than optimal environment with pay raises year after year

Cons

Management continues to make repeated financial mistakes

Advice to Management

Sell the business to an ownership group that sees the value of the services provided

"Technician"

I worked at Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supply you with tools to travel and do the job.

Cons

Pay and management are losy. Wasn't worth my time. Not enough work.

Advice to Management

Pay your technicians and provide consistent work.

"Fine for your first job, but get out after a year"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working onsite at well-known clients looks good on your resume

Cons

Management yields to the opinions (founded or unfounded) of the client, without inspection on their own. I saw employees terminated based on passing comment from client, with zero effort to inspect the situation for the truth or locate other work for the employee. Entirely unrealistic expectations of working schedule - regularly working 12 hour days with no added compensation (salaried employees), no comp time, not even recognition or appreciation from management.

Advice to Management

The people who work f

8. "P. Manager"

Pros

Great team of hard working people doing the day-to-day work

Cons

No work life balance, poor philosophy of Execs, no reward for hard work, no salary increases for years, churn and burn mentality.

Advice to Management

Step down

"Great Company with lots of Opportunity"

I have been working at Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Spencer has been part of my life for a while now and it has been great to be part of the team. The upper management in the company have been fantastic and really care about their employees. There has been times that I have made mistakes and have always had the backing I needed to fix the mistake and was not made to feel like it was a big deal. the entire company feels like a family and that feeling is passed on to customers. Really like the the fact that the average employee tenure in the company is more than 7 years. There is a real entrepreneurial feeling in our culture and if you have ideas and drive to succeed you can rise up. The CEO has been very open to new ideas, even creating a suggestion box for any employee to reach out with new ideas or fixes for problems. His door has always been open and is very approachable. This is a great company for employees and customers.

Cons

There are a few employees that do not understand customer service and complain a lot instead of taking ownership and fixing problems. Lot of hours working at this job, you have to learn how to manage your time so that it does not take you over.

Advice to Management

I say we keep on the path the is on and grow the business, we have a great reputation and our customers love us, lets continue on that path. I have seen some complaints about work life balance, and I gave it 3 stars below. This is because of two things, this is a very demanding environment and requires for a lot salaried employees to be always on. We could do a better job when interviewing telling the new people that expectation. at least we can tell the cry babys we told you how demanding this is. The second reason is at times this job is just that way during peak season everyone is busy. But beginning of year and end of year not so much so suck it up cupcake and if this job is not for you please help your self to the door, because it is what it is.

"Mixed Bag"

Former Employee - IT Project Manager
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager

I worked at Spencer Technologies (Massachusetts) full-time

Pros

Interesting field of work & great support from program manager. Good salary if working a regular 40 hour week. Dedicated full time service techs who bend over backwards to do what it takes to complete a project and take care of your customer. Great coworkers who are passionate and dedicated to their projects and customers.

Cons

Unreasonable demands of PM's time, no overtime potential for PM's working 12-18hrs per day (salaried employee) over time for months. Limited training for support staff. No upper management support when pressured and bullied by customers. Poor pay structure and scheduling structure for full time service techs.

Advice to Management

Don't ask your employees to begin at 2-3am and also demand they remain on the clock until 5pm unless you're willing to pay for overtime to compensate for that extreme workload. The offered salary is good if working a standard work week, but I rarely worked less than 60hrs per week. As time goes on, exhaustion sets in and extreme hours seriously interfere with an employee's life outside of work, causing resentment that builds and snowballs. Employees should work to live, not live to work. I thoroughly enjoyed the actual work (IT Project Management), but the expectations of my time vs. what I got in return from Spencer was not equal.

Treat your techs like people who have lives and families outside of work. Everyone vents, but when at least half of your techs are venting daily about how crazy their schedule is, how little they are paid to travel, and how little they see their family, there is something wrong.

Finally, set reasonable expectations with your customers when the job is sold. Identify everything beforehand. When something turns out to be unattainable once a project is in motion, it's time to renegotiate with the customer and inform them and reset expectations. Use renegotiation and Contract Change Authorizations rather than allowing your PM's and PC's to struggle to meet unreasonable customer demands. Too many clients were allowed to dictate unreasonable deadlines and requirements without any pushback from Spencer upper management advocating for it's employees. This is only setting up your employees to fail day after day.