Sperry Drilling Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Christopher Gaut

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "M/LWD Field Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Sperry Drilling Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company with good benefits and pay. Great profession with lots of training and growth. Long hours with crazy days but worth every minute. Oil and gas for lifee!!

Cons

It sucks the cyclical behavior of oil and gas because as a young man in this industry it is hard. We need better job security.

2. "Showed their true colors during the downturn"

I have been working at Sperry Drilling Services full-time

Pros

The benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Tons of pay cuts since the downturn. Shady business dealings, management will lie to your face about changes in pay and work practices. Have no loyalty to their employees, only for the bottom dollar.
    Will not let you move between PSLs easily. They do not encourage career growth.

Advice to Management

Clean house and put some people in there that are willing to look out for your employees, instead of only worrying about the customer and investors.

3. "Directional Driller"

Former Employee - Directional Drilling Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Directional Drilling Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

Good company, take care of employees

Cons

Still good company, need qualified personal in office

Advice to Management

Stay away from politic

"Not bad, unless you are an MWD Field Engineer"

Former Employee - MWD Field Engineer in Broussard, LA
    Former Employee - MWD Field Engineer in Broussard, LA

I worked at Sperry Drilling Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay. Good benefits.

Cons

Disparity in pay between directional drillers and MWD personnel leads to resentment, given that MWD hands are required to be college educated and DD's are not. DD's are effectively in charge of operations, but are typically less educated. Much of the work is "on call", so planning personal time is challenging.

Advice to Management

Promote more MWD personnel to DD's and find meaningful ways to level the playing field between the two positions.

"The worst possible option for engineers, do your research"

Pros

Employees rarely work more than 50 hour weeks.

Cons

HIERAR-CRAZY:
    Sperry (software) has a fundamentally flawed management philosophy and is desperately trying to build a hierarchy of managers. Managers are chosen from a pool of friends and family to those that are higher up. Which means managers are people who know nothing about their "domains of expertise" other than what they pecked out of engineers who quit. "Merit" and "Egalitarianism" are cuss words not to spoken out loud.

EXPLOITATIVE MANAGEMENT PRACTICES ARE A HALLMARK:
    Managers have to contribute nothing and granted unlimited powers to abuse. The standard protocol in my group was: the lowest rank of employees did all the work, including development and research, following which they were asked to train their manager and write reports which were for his leisure reading. The manager would then, WEEKLY, take all the data/figures out of the report, carefully strip out names of individuals who actually performed the work and present them to his superiors and peers in "team meetings" which we were asked not to attend. The justification provided, literally, for this was "we don't waste time in presentations with names".

It was common for the managers to stamp their names to be on our invention disclosures. It was common for managers to stockpile reports from everywhere and pull them out in meetings misrepresenting the work as their own ("WE" did xyz) and without permission. In academia, you'd be fired for plagiarism. Here, its a survival skill for managers.

Employees in the lower ranks, interns and coops were often ordered to train their managers on technology and were subsequently graded by the managers using a "PPR" process! At one point, an expensive consultant was hired for an entire year to train my manager.

Of course, as a result, most people who contributed to the development of products have left - usually the young crowd in the lower ranks. Every year during summer a pool of interns and coops would come in from Univ of Houston. Every single year, full time job offers would be made and every single offer was rejected.

LAID OFF FROM BOTH ENDS:
    From the top they are being "let go" by Halliburton as a result of the Baker Hughes acquisition and the fact that Sperry's technology is far inferior to Baker Hughes.

From the bottom, a lot of employees have quit contributing to some of the highest attrition rates I've ever seen. What's left of course is a group of managers scrambling to take ownership of things that several generations of engineers have left behind.

IMMIGRATION SABOTAGE:
    There is a very concreted effort at this group to do only as much as is necessary to keep you in the country while doing everything possible to seriously limit your opportunities. This is accomplished by delaying your Green Card as much as possible (until the 6th year on H1B) while making promises to do it earlier during a hire (one year after hire I was told). I spoke to others at the group and I was able to confirm that this wasn't an isolated incident- that this was a systematic and widespread practice.

OTHER FUN FACTS:
    When my manager was asked why he hadn't done *any* work in YEARS, his response was verbatim - "you'll understand when you have kids". On another occasion it was "I've just been in so many meetings".

A few weeks after I was hired, I was asked by my manager to forward every single email that comes into my mailbox to his.

I was also asked to prepare daily reports for my work. When I protested, he said he'd do me a favor and make it weekly instead.

Engineers, even senior ones work in noisy cubicle farms, while managers relax in their offices. Its like being in a fish market.

Median employee age of 50.

RECOMMENDATION:
    If you're an engineer, this should be your very last option; its a soul crushing environment.

If you're applying to be a manager, this is great place to work, you'll have a very relaxed environment and can hire as many people as required to train your for your job.

If you think any of this is exaggeration, you just have to get in touch with ex-employees to verify.

6. "It's the Titanic"

Former Employee - Senior Account Representative in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Senior Account Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Sperry Drilling Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be a brand name. Access to cross PSL data is a plus.

Cons

Too many levels of mid and upper management impeding action to stay fresh in an ever changing market. Front line employees are expendable and not recognized for jobs well done. Processes not followed through on, either at the shop, field or office level creating a lack of accountability and loss of customers frustrated with poor service delivery.

Advice to Management

They need less. Listen to those at the field level and act on their market intelligence....or go down with the ship.

7. "When the work comes, it comes hard."

Former Employee - MWD Engineer in Casper, WY
    Former Employee - MWD Engineer in Casper, WY

I worked at Sperry Drilling Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

And the engineers are expected to keep up the crazy schedules and priorities.

Cons

When working the rigs, not knowing when exactly you might have off days versus work days in the future is frustrating. Especially if you have a family.

Advice to Management

Don't only focus on hiring young guys for the entry level work. There are good modivated older employees who have maturity to bring to the engineer jobs.

8. "Laid Off"

Former Employee - Directional Driller in Canonsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Directional Driller in Canonsburg, PA

I worked at Sperry Drilling Services (More than a year)

Pros

When they have work, they work you to death. The money was good until they made cut backs setting everyone back to the 80's.

Cons

When times are slow, they throw you out to the wolves so they can show a profit margin. There is no loyalty. You are just a number.

Advice to Management

Don't hire so many people next time.

9. "Directional Driller"

Current Employee - Directional Driller in Berlin, PA
    Current Employee - Directional Driller in Berlin, PA

I have been working at Sperry Drilling Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Opportunitities to work overseas, advanced technology used, excellent people to work with. Join Sperry - See the world!!!

Cons

Reorganizational changes in Halliburton, indefinite future in the market

Advice to Management

Be more focused on people who work and earn money standing next to the well!!!

"Friendly Culture, Fickle Industry"

I worked at Sperry Drilling Services full-time

Pros

While working at Halliburton, I met some excellent people that I can now call close friends. Its a great company for upward movement if you work hard and learn who to connect with. Networking is key, and there are always openings for those who put the effort in to stand out. I was an L/MWD field engineer, and the nature of the work was often challenging and stressful but rewarding in the end. Great pay if you can sacrifice the time from your home life.

Cons

If in the field, schedule is inconsistent at best, extremely long hours and mostly thankless work environment. There are good managers, but there are bad/seemingly incompetent ones as well. It will make your time in the field worse if you have the latter. I was lucky to have great people always in my corner, so its important for you to keep an eye out and learn how to do your job well (watch your own back) and recognize who your leaders are quickly.

Advice to Management

Make sure you learn how your local group works and where they fit. Take care of your employees, as they rely on you for support and backup out of the field. Your field engineers will want to work harder if they know it's for a manager who cares and steers the ship competently through industry and corporate storms.