Sperry Drilling Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Christopher Gaut

1. "It's the Titanic"

Former Employee - Senior Account Representative in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Senior Account Representative in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Sperry Drilling Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be a brand name. Access to cross PSL data is a plus.

Cons

Too many levels of mid and upper management impeding action to stay fresh in an ever changing market. Front line employees are expendable and not recognized for jobs well done. Processes not followed through on, either at the shop, field or office level creating a lack of accountability and loss of customers frustrated with poor service delivery.

Advice to Management

They need less. Listen to those at the field level and act on their market intelligence....or go down with the ship.

2. "The worst possible option for engineers, do your research"

Pros

Employees rarely work more than 50 hour weeks.

Cons

HIERAR-CRAZY:
    Sperry (software) has a fundamentally flawed management philosophy and is desperately trying to build a hierarchy of managers. Managers are chosen from a pool of friends and family to those that are higher up. Which means managers are people who know nothing about their "domains of expertise" other than what they pecked out of engineers who quit. "Merit" and "Egalitarianism" are cuss words not to spoken out loud.

EXPLOITATIVE MANAGEMENT PRACTICES ARE A HALLMARK:
    Managers have to contribute nothing and granted unlimited powers to abuse. The standard protocol in my group was: the lowest rank of employees did all the work, including development and research, following which they were asked to train their manager and write reports which were for his leisure reading. The manager would then, WEEKLY, take all the data/figures out of the report, carefully strip out names of individuals who actually performed the work and present them to his superiors and peers in "team meetings" which we were asked not to attend. The justification provided, literally, for this was "we don't waste time in presentations with names".

It was common for the managers to stamp their names to be on our invention disclosures. It was common for managers to stockpile reports from everywhere and pull them out in meetings misrepresenting the work as their own ("WE" did xyz) and without permission. In academia, you'd be fired for plagiarism. Here, its a survival skill for managers.

Employees in the lower ranks, interns and coops were often ordered to train their managers on technology and were subsequently graded by the managers using a "PPR" process! At one point, an expensive consultant was hired for an entire year to train my manager.

Of course, as a result, most people who contributed to the development of products have left - usually the young crowd in the lower ranks. Every year during summer a pool of interns and coops would come in from Univ of Houston. Every single year, full time job offers would be made and every single offer was rejected.

LAID OFF FROM BOTH ENDS:
    From the top they are being "let go" by Halliburton as a result of the Baker Hughes acquisition and the fact that Sperry's technology is far inferior to Baker Hughes.

From the bottom, a lot of employees have quit contributing to some of the highest attrition rates I've ever seen. What's left of course is a group of managers scrambling to take ownership of things that several generations of engineers have left behind.

IMMIGRATION SABOTAGE:
    There is a very concreted effort at this group to do only as much as is necessary to keep you in the country while doing everything possible to seriously limit your opportunities. This is accomplished by delaying your Green Card as much as possible (until the 6th year on H1B) while making promises to do it earlier during a hire (one year after hire I was told). I spoke to others at the group and I was able to confirm that this wasn't an isolated incident- that this was a systematic and widespread practice.

OTHER FUN FACTS:
    When my manager was asked why he hadn't done *any* work in YEARS, his response was verbatim - "you'll understand when you have kids". On another occasion it was "I've just been in so many meetings".

A few weeks after I was hired, I was asked by my manager to forward every single email that comes into my mailbox to his.

I was also asked to prepare daily reports for my work. When I protested, he said he'd do me a favor and make it weekly instead.

Engineers, even senior ones work in noisy cubicle farms, while managers relax in their offices. Its like being in a fish market.

Median employee age of 50.

RECOMMENDATION:
    If you're an engineer, this should be your very last option; its a soul crushing environment.

If you're applying to be a manager, this is great place to work, you'll have a very relaxed environment and can hire as many people as required to train your for your job.

If you think any of this is exaggeration, you just have to get in touch with ex-employees to verify.

3. "Dont bother..."

Former Employee - M\LWD Engineer in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Sperry Drilling Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent field staff working with very old technology and equipment. Staff all performing at a high level regardless of the prctically non existent training regimes.

Cons

The company is a basket case from the top down. CEO managed to mess up a merger with Baker Hughes last year costing the company billions of dollars but still managed to give himself and his cronys a pay rise. All the while, every PSL is shedding staff at alarming rate and cutting pay.

Advice to Management

Your staff are your greatest asset, not pawns to be discarded at the first sign of trouble.

5. "A ship taking on gallons by the the day"

Former Employee - M\LWD Engineer in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Sperry Drilling Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cant think of any pros

Cons

A truly shocking organisation. Equipment from the dark ages while excellent field staff attempt to work magic with broken tools. Management and coordinators are just useless at every turn. The company will close its doors soon with current levels of service. Its just not worth bothering working for Sperry Aberdeen and all the clients are moving away from these idiots.

Advice to Management

Close your doors

6. "Showed their true colors during the downturn"

I have been working at Sperry Drilling Services full-time

Pros

The benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Tons of pay cuts since the downturn. Shady business dealings, management will lie to your face about changes in pay and work practices. Have no loyalty to their employees, only for the bottom dollar.
    Will not let you move between PSLs easily. They do not encourage career growth.

Advice to Management

Clean house and put some people in there that are willing to look out for your employees, instead of only worrying about the customer and investors.

7. "Do you have the pulse of the working bees?"

Former Employee - PGL in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - PGL in Houston, TX

Pros

Good benefits and experience is top notch.

Cons

Management does not communicate well with those below them. Managers need to be trained on how to be effective managers.

Advice to Management

Talk to the people at the bottom, you'll be surprise what they have to say about the middle managers and what the middle managers are not telling you.

8. "Great money, mediocre schedule"

Pros

Money, Benefits, and Time off

Cons

Lack of a real schedule

9. "Laid Off"

Former Employee - Directional Driller in Canonsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Directional Driller in Canonsburg, PA

I worked at Sperry Drilling Services (More than a year)

Pros

When they have work, they work you to death. The money was good until they made cut backs setting everyone back to the 80's.

Cons

When times are slow, they throw you out to the wolves so they can show a profit margin. There is no loyalty. You are just a number.

Advice to Management

Don't hire so many people next time.

"Not bad, unless you are an MWD Field Engineer"

Former Employee - MWD Field Engineer in Broussard, LA
    Former Employee - MWD Field Engineer in Broussard, LA

I worked at Sperry Drilling Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay. Good benefits.

Cons

Disparity in pay between directional drillers and MWD personnel leads to resentment, given that MWD hands are required to be college educated and DD's are not. DD's are effectively in charge of operations, but are typically less educated. Much of the work is "on call", so planning personal time is challenging.

Advice to Management

Promote more MWD personnel to DD's and find meaningful ways to level the playing field between the two positions.

11. "Intern review"

Current Employee - Software Intern in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Software Intern in Houston, TX

Pros

helpful coworker and decent salary

Cons

long drive to work place and a few holiday / off days

Advice to Management

great work experience. would be more appreciated if paid more attention to intern